August 2016 Moms

Rough pregnancies and future:support?

Any other mamas out there who had rough pregnancies? Hoping to connect especially with anyone who struggled with hyperemesis gravidarum. It's too early to plan for a second baby now, but my pregnancy has me terrified that I'll be extremely sick again and I picture my life with more than one child. I will go to my dr and make a plan before trying for a second baby, but I'm wondering how you've coped with difficult pregnancy experiences and how your next pregnancy was if you're a STM+? 

Re: Rough pregnancies and future:support?

• We have had two losses -- one before DS1 and one before DS2, who was born at 26 weeks and spent three months in the NICU. You could say I've had a hard time with pregnancies. Our situation is different than yours, but at the end of the day, it comes down to how badly you want another baby. Is the reward greater than the risk? I've always wanted two kids, so for me it was worth trying again. We were 99% sure we were done after DS2, but then when he came early and had a lengthy hospitalization, that 99% became like 200%, lol. I'm just glad he wasn't our first, because I'm honestly not sure whether I could do that again and we may have stopped at one. 
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Thanks @bananers, it's encouraging that you guys decided to add to your family despite tough times, it can be scary to try again but I really want to too, eventually. Thank you for the feedback and feeling like I want to send u a creepy internet hug
  • Loading the player...
  • I was horribly sick through my whole pregnancy. I tore out my abdominal wall vomiting, struggled with multiple hospitalizations, nearly ended up with emergency gallbladder surgery, ended up inducing a little early because my gallbldder was causing my bile salts to rise, and was reffered to a cardiologist because my heart was freaking out over all the physical stressors. Then, to top it off I nearly died from C section complications. 

I'm terrified of getting pregnant again. My husband has his heart set on three, and after meeting my amazing little man I want at least one more... I just don't want to ever be pregnant like that again. 

I honestly don't know if it will be worth it to go through with another baby, ever... I told my husband I need to heal from this one first. We've got the added push of a time limit. I am already in my 30's and DH is 39. So waiting for too much longer, I will have the added risk of AMA, and the genetic risks of him being over 40. I am getting the mirena, and if when it comes out in five years I am still completely unwilling to go through with it, DH will get snipped. 

Just to make things even more fun, I am apparently one of those people who gets pregnant super easily, I just suck at pregnant. 

• Oh goodness @Allisun85 that's a lot to go through too to say the least. I really appreciate you sharing because I'm terrified of being pregnant after being so sick. It was difficult to get care and now that I have DS I worry about being pregnant and being able to still care for him the way he deserves. It's a lot to think about but knowing I'm not alone somehow makes it a little less scary
  • Well, I'm not a STM, but I had a rough pregnancy.  Found umbilical blood flow issues around 26 weeks and thought baby might have a genetic issue so amniocentisis and steroids on the same day.  Then hospital visits every other day to monitor blood flow (could be an emergency if blood flow reversed).  Went into preterm labor around 29 wks 5 days.  Went on magnesium sulfate twice.  Developed preeclampsia and ultimately HELLP syndrome and then was induced at 30 wk 2d.  Matthew was in the NICU for 2 months.   It is so rough to have issues while you are pregnant and then see all the women who have no problems at all and have full-term babies.  I kinda wanted to punch some of them in the face!  

I still plan on having a second kid (well not anytime soon) because the next pregnancy might be completely fine. I guess you never know.