January 2016 Moms
Options

Standing and Crying

I apologize if this is already a discussion.

Our guy learned to stand this month, and now it's starting to disrupt his night sleep.  He'll wake up (and I say that loosely, because it seems like he's still sleeping), pull to stand, then starts screaming.

Any advice?

TTC #1 10/2014
Low progesterone
BFP 05/2015
Baby boy born 01/2016
Currently: NTNP

Re: Standing and Crying

• Options
    My guy hasn't started doing this yet but I've done a lot of reading about it because we had the same issue when he started crawling and he is just starting to try to pull up so I'm preparing lol Everything I've read says that they can do this unconsciously and that while they are learning a new skill they will practice it over and over again unintentionally which is why it seems like he's still sleeping because there is a good chance he's doing it involuntarily in his sleep and waking himself up essentially like wtf why am I standing and is mad because he's tired lol all the advice says to let them practice the skill a TON during the day and even more importantly teach them to sit back down. I would say if he's standing and happy let him stand for a while to see if he can figure out how to get back down himself but since it sounds like he's standing at night and unhappy I would go in and help him sit down/lay down so instead of just picking him up and laying him back down make sure you focus on helping him sit down from standing so he learns how. It says it's a phase and will pass once they master the skill :) like I said my guy hasn't started doing this yet so everything I just said could be worthless lol 
  • Options
    Ugh. We're there. If I can get her before she gets up, I can usually get her to stay down. (She sleeps in our room.) If she's standing, I just have given up and put her in our bed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have had this problem a few times. I've been trying to help him with standing to sitting a ton during the day and we seem to be over it now (knock on wood)! It lasted about a week for us.
  • Options
    Is your crib dropped to the lowest level? When LO started to show signs of standing we dropped it and now it's too hard for her to reach and pull up. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  Yes, we did drop his crib lower, but he will still stand by just holding on to the vertical rails.  Hopefully ours only lasts about a week!

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• Options
    My little girl does this too... but she notoriously stands in her crib, when she's clearly not completely awake, then falls and hits her head on the vertical bars... and promptly wakes everyone in the house with her blood curdling screams. This happens easily half a dozen times a night (at least hourly, no joke). She's also extremely over dramatic.

And the rest of us are extremely tired. 
  • Options
    @BarrettJ89 never a dull moment in your house lol. God bless you
  • Options
    @mrsgetz4000 for real...