April 2016 Moms
Options

Everything Random - September

13»

Re: Everything Random - September

• Options
    korpatch said:
    linzoirv said:
    Is anyone currently homeschooling or thinking about it?
    I've been doing my some research all week and I want to hear personal stories/pros and cons...
    I was homeschooled, Christian schooled, and public schooled. Homeschooling worked best for us though. My brother was a bit behind and I was a bit ahead so my mother could slow it down for my brother and speed it up for me. I live in a big city with tons of opportunities for homeschoolers. We even had a homeschool parliamentary debate league of two hundred teens in just our city!! We did drama though a local theatre. My brother played football and baseball for a local high school. I started college at 15. 
    I guess the pros are that if you do it right, the child can learn at their own pace, have a wider range of socialization (not just kids your own age, but literally everyone!!), flexibility (vacation during the off seasons of fall and spring to usually busy places like national parks or Hawaii for "field trips"... The down side is you have to bring your home work with you...), you get to raise your child and not some stranger... Child most likely will be able to get into any college of their choosing.
    Cons... It's hard work. It requires teaching the child to be self motivated, and critical thinking, and you to figure out how to find help or a place to teach the kids subjects you don't know. Depending on how it's done, it can cause the kid to grow up too fast. 
    I can't imagine it could be done well in a small town... However my husband is from a small town with a thriving homeschool community. He and all his siblings were homeschooled. His little brother is finishing up his doctorate at age 25... 
    We are in a amall town with a large homeschooling community. Many of the doctors and engineers here choose to home school. All of the high schoolers that I've met nearby have been super polite, well-spoken, mature, and get along well with everyone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Got our fix-a-flat today! 
    How long does he have to wear it? It doesn't look like he minds it yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    yodiggity said:
    8 to 10 weeks. It's for a flat back of the head, of moderate severity. My understanding is that the length of time is dependent on when treatment begins, and where the flatness is. He had severe reflux and slept on a sharp incline, so his head was pretty flat from about 1.5 months of age and we knew this was on the horizon.

He was fine all day, he woke up a lot more at night though (he doesn't realize he can turn onto his side with it on yet). 

These are his scans on the right, compared to a normal baby's head shape. The aerial view is supposed to look like an egg and his just flattens, and the profile view is... well, pretty obvious.

• Options
    yodiggity said:
    8 to 10 weeks. It's for a flat back of the head, of moderate severity. My understanding is that the length of time is dependent on when treatment begins, and where the flatness is. He had severe reflux and slept on a sharp incline, so his head was pretty flat from about 1.5 months of age and we knew this was on the horizon.

He was fine all day, he woke up a lot more at night though (he doesn't realize he can turn onto his side with it on yet). 

These are his scans on the right, compared to a normal baby's head shape. The aerial view is supposed to look like an egg and his just flattens, and the profile view is... well, pretty obvious.

Our LO has the same issue-reflux and exact same flat head. We're going to wait a bit and see if it self corrects, along with DH's cranial manipulations (he's a DO).
  • Options
    @kielpinskim I was getting really nervous because of the severity of my son's, and I read a study comparing the efficacy of treatment at 6+ months vs earlier. Since insurance was covering it, we just jumped on it. However, I have read that soft applied pressure by a trained hand can be just as effective, so you're very lucky to have that at your disposal.
  • Options
    @kielpinskim I was getting really nervous because of the severity of my son's, and I read a study comparing the efficacy of treatment at 6+ months vs earlier. Since insurance was covering it, we just jumped on it. However, I have read that soft applied pressure by a trained hand can be just as effective, so you're very lucky to have that at your disposal.
    I am super lucky to have him. He's trained in pediatrics and allergy/immunology, so that covers all of our kids' issues so far. I hope the helmet helps. It seems like it hasn't bothered the children that I've been in contact with.
  • Options
    @ladylolly89 My baby is awake four-five hours at a time >.<
    Ooof. Every day? How do you manage it? DD had done that a few times and we are both miserable by the end of the day.
  • Options
    ivyvines6ivyvines6 member
    edited September 2016
    sarahufl said:
    Ooof. Every day? How do you manage it? DD had done that a few times and we are both miserable by the end of the day.
    He usually takes two-three thirty-forty five minute naps during the day, and he sttn... But my day is definitely lacking in the downtime department with him :joy:
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    He usually takes two-three thirty-forty five minute naps during the day, and he sttn... But my day is definitely lacking in the downtime department with him :joy:
    Yeah, DD sometimes naps for hours and sometimes not at all. I will say, it can be a blessing and a curse.

Today we took her to a big beer fest thing at our botanical gardens. She slept for 30 minutes in the car on the way there and was awake the rest of the day. But she never cried or acted remotely cranky. But on days where I am home with her by myself, I want those long naps!
  • Options
    Same here. My baby has started doing 30-45 minute naps and its wretched. If she's awake, she usually wants me to hold her or pay attention to her, and it's exhausting. Sometimes she'll happily hang out in her exersaucer, but after 10 minutes she starts in with the whining. 

Does anyone one else have a whiny baby? I'm close to losing my mind some days after listening to her whine for hours. It drives me insane.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    linzoirvlinzoirv member
    edited September 2016
    Yesterday was the first day of fall! Yay!

What activities are you all looking forward to enjoying with your LO this season?
  • Options
    linzoirv said:

What activities are you all looking forward to enjoying with your LO this season?
    - We're doing a Halloween photo set. 
    - Baby's Baptism is 11/5 and lots of family is flying in to be with him, some for the first time since he was born. I'm excited for that, though it's not necessarily "fall" themed.
    - He's recently taken such a huge interest in his surroundings, I'm excited to bring him to pumpkin patches, harvest festivals, and other not-so-spooky Halloween activities during the month of October. I know he won't remember, but his squeals of joy will be enough for me!
  • Options
    linzoirv said:

- We're doing a Halloween photo set. 
    - Baby's Baptism is 11/5 and lots of family is flying in to be with him, some for the first time since he was born. I'm excited for that, though it's not necessarily "fall" themed.
    - He's recently taken such a huge interest in his surroundings, I'm excited to bring him to pumpkin patches, harvest festivals, and other not-so-spooky Halloween activities during the month of October. I know he won't remember, but his squeals of joy will be enough for me!
    QBF...UGH. 

We are also doing a 6 month photos in October. His dedication is also tentatively scheduled for October. I've been researching different spots locally that do the whole pumpkin patch thing. (Never done this before). I also picked up a cute "first Thanksgiving" outfit from Carters 2 weeks ago.
  • Options
    linzoirv said:

I'm really looking forward to getting LO dressed up for Halloween. I love babies in costume. :#
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    loveymay said:
    Lately LO wants to be entertained by me, he cant play by himself with his toys. He used to play for 10-20 minutes but now he only whines unless Im interacting with him. Even when Im on the floor sitting right by him. I love playing with him, but sometimes I need to do other things like use the bathroom, prepare his bottle etc....which leads me to say I cant wait till he can sit up by himself and starts crawling. I think once he is mobile he will be able to entertain himself for longer periods of time. I also realize I may regret wishing this, because he is already hard to contain now that he is a master roller!  :P 
    I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!  DS is just as needy as DD was.  It all got easier when she could sit unassisted and a ton better once she was mobile.  Unfortunately she didn't crawl until 13 months (and started walking the next day).  I pray DS learns to crawl sooner.