Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

GTKY: where do you live?

hey ladies! I know we do GTKY on our daily threads but I thought it would be cool to say where we all live and (if you want) what's your favorite part of living there?

ill start.
I live in Moorpark, CA. I was born and raised in Thousand Oaks (10 minutes from here). My husband and I lived in Chicago for the last two years, before we bought our Moorpark house and moved back in July :-)
my favorite part about living here is: we are really close to my family and friends.   It was really hard for me to pack up and move to Chicago and be away from all of them and I'm so happy to be back.

Re: GTKY: where do you live?

• Options
    @nursek2016 it's basically dead smack in the middle of LA and Santa Barbara (technically it's a suburb of LA)
    thats cool you live in Cedar Rapids! Did you see the movie "Cedar Rapids" starring Ed Helms?? It was pretty funny!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 Are we twins? Lol, I think we just basically posted the same thing!!!
    Me: 33 / DH: 35
    Married: Nov 2006
    DD: Sept 2010
    DS: June 2013
    BFP #3 - EDD 5.13.16
  • Options
    @shadeofgreen816 that's the same exact reason I like where we live! we are about 30 mins from Hollywood if we want to go see a concert or experience some other sort of nightlife, 20 mins from the beach, and we come home to a super quiet and relaxing suburb.  It's nice to be able to have such a range of things to do/experience 

Also, cheers!!! I've had a couple of drinks tonight as well!!

• Options
    @kiwi2628 I hear you about being from commuter territory!  Being from LA I don't even bat an eye at an hour (or even two) drive time! At a point it just becomes part of your existence and you don't even notice!
  • Options
    @slam1110 I think we are!! Love being in a medium sized city! 

@tripledaggerWed95976 yes we live in a super quiet suburb and are very secluded and love it. But then I'm 6 minutes from my work and a $10 uber from Downtown!

@cait32 love having an Indy buddy! Are you a colts fan or pacers fan? I'm a pretty big sports fan in general but my H is obsessed with ALL sports and we love how sports-centric Indy has become. Not to mention Mass Ave and all the great arts and culture we have around!!
  • Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 how cool to live close to such big cities. I did see the Cedar Rapids movie once, not sure why someone would try to make a movie about this place, haha. I can't believe you drive 1-2 hours to get places though. My drive to work is roughly 10 minutes!!
    :smile:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrs35 how is the weather in your part of Michigan? For me, the hardest part of living in Illinois was the snow and sub-zero (with windchill) temps!
  • Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 can't speak for Mrs35 but I LOVE winter. Hate the sub-zero but I don't honestly think I could live somewhere without seasons. Let alone somewhere HOT all year long. I'm so ready for fall and some cooler weather (I know in Indy I don't have tons to complain about... Could be way worse. But one more day with 90 degrees and 95% humidity and I'll cry)
  • Options
    @nursek2016 haha my husband is from a very small town in Mississippi, he moved out here over ten years ago and STILL totally hates the commute!  I think since I was born and raised here I never knew anything other than crazy long drive times! LA is SOOO spread out that even if there's no traffic (which there is ALWAYS traffic) things are still far away
  • Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 I'm a teacher and last winter we missed a week and a half of school because the wind chill never got above -25. That's the point that they don't want kids waiting at the bus stops! I don't mind the snow but when it gets below zero that's hard to handle! I don't mind the snow days though  ;)
  • Options
    @ShadeofGreen816 I 100% agree! I love having 4 seasons. Winter only bothers me when it gets below zero and I complain less about that than when it gets over 80 for a few weeks. 
  • Options
    @mrs35 aghhh the wind chill is the worst!!! -25 is INSANE!!!! That's awesome that you are a teacher and therefore get snow/weather days on the same day as your students do!!

I think the coldest we ever had (in the two years we lived in Illinois) was -10 windchill... It lasted for about 3 days and I literally didn't leave the house for that entire 3 days.  What's worse is; we had JUST moved there about 3 weeks prior so I was terrified thinking we had made a huge mistake and wondering if I would be able to last a whole winter like that!!

• Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 fortunately it doesn't usually get THAT cold! I definitely appreciate all of our snow days!

That must have been quite a shock for you!! I've always lived in Michigan so I don't mind it as much but I don't think I will ever be ok with negative temps! 
  • Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 and @mrs35 I can relate... we moved from the tippy top of vermont last fall (we had border Patrol parked like 50 yards from our house at an old border where they "monitor" for people crossing) and it seems like every winter (and especially in 14/15 when boston got all that snow) was so brutal up there, especially with windchills off of memphramagog!! It made me so grumpy!! When your nose hair/nostrils freeze when you just go out to turn your car on, it's too cold!!!
  • Options
    mrs35 said:
    @Nelbetron frozen nostrils are the worst!!! 
    Haha yes!! @nelbetron nothing is worse than frozen nostrils!! i dunno if this happens to you guys but my nose would also get BRIGHT red from being in that cold of temps.   I basically walked around all winter looking like Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer.   Which, on the plus side, was a very festive look for the holiday season lol!
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    @shadeofgreen816 I completely agree.  The best AND worse times for me in IL was the weather.  While the winter was absolutely brutal, the spring and fall were amazing!!! In spring, ALL of the cherry blossom trees would bloom all at once and everything would turn from a winter wasteland into the most lush and beautiful trees and flowers.   It was spectacular.   It's nice to live in a place that very rarely gets below 40 degrees but I will definitely miss those IL spring and fall seasons!!
  • Options
    @adirat OMG how scary!! Be safe!!!!
  • Options
    @adirat be careful and stay dry!! Hopefully no power outages again! But maybe you can HIO and have a hurricane baby! 

We we had a terrible blizzard here almost 3 years ago and it basically shut the whole city down. (Not a great time to be a nurse, I got to spend 2 nights at the hospital) but I personally know 3 blizzard babies from people being cooped up at home!
  • Options
    @bertiemeetsgertie wow, one stop light?!? That is a small town!!!! What sort of things did you guys do for fun in high school?
  • Options
    @adiratwhere do you live? I lived a long time in Katonah, and am currently in Greenwich, CT. One of my besties lives in White Plains so I go there fairly often to visit her and her new baby
  • Options
    @BertieMeetsGertie it definitely isn't for everyone! I have to drive 45 minutes to get to a real grocery store. The first year I lived here I really hated it! Once I made a few friends, found new hobbies, and settled in it has gotten better though. 
  • Options
    @bertiemeetsgertie wow, one stop light?!? That is a small town!!!! What sort of things did you guys do for fun in high school?
    Pretty much nothing except hanging out at friends houses. There was basically nothing we could do unless we drove at least 25 miles. 
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Dating since: 11/17/2001
    Married: 9/26/2009
    TTC: June 2016
    BFP: 9/01/2017
    EDD: 5/14/2018

• Options
    @firebaby688 I live near the tip of the mitt! 
  • Options
    hey ladies! I know we do GTKY on our daily threads but I thought it would be cool to say where we all live and (if you want) what's your favorite part of living there?

ill start.
    I live in Moorpark, CA. I was born and raised in Thousand Oaks (10 minutes from here). My husband and I lived in Chicago for the last two years, before we bought our Moorpark house and moved back in July :-)
    my favorite part about living here is: we are really close to my family and friends.   It was really hard for me to pack up and move to Chicago and be away from all of them and I'm so happy to be back.

You are living in my dream area! I'm living in the same city I grew up in and am so ready for a change! CA is on my list for a relocation. 

Im afraid I'll regret never living anywhere else!
  • Options
    I live about 20 minutes outside of Orlando. My favorite things are Disney and Family. I am the youngest of 5 and my parents, all my siblings/cousins and nieces/nephews live within 20 minutes of each other. 

i also absolutely love our "winter." It's amazing almost makes the horrific summers worth it. 

@slam1110 Are you in Orlando proper or outside of Orlando? I'm in Apopka (recently moved out here from Maitland). 
  • Options
    Sin City - I love the warmth, the people, and the relaxed, chill vibe here!
    Mommy of 3 little ones, 6 losses Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @tripledaggerWed95976 I lived in Chicago for a bit in 2008!