December 2015 Moms

transitioning from 3 to 2 naps

baby is just over 8 months and still seems to need 3 naps, but I'm hoping he will transition soon. I've read a couple of articles, but wondering if anyone has made this transition, and if you have any tips/ suggestions.  We try to just follow his lead (put him down when he seems tired, which is after about 2 hours of being awake). Not sure if it makes sense to keep following his lead, or "push" him to stay awake a little longer (I know that can backfire!)  Thanks!

Re: transitioning from 3 to 2 naps

• How long does he nap? My LO has been on a 2 nap schedule for awhile, with a long 2 hour nap in the morning and a 1 hour nap in the late afternoon. Sometimes he will get tired early in the evening but I usually keep him up til between 8 and 9. If I let him nap past about 5pm, he will be up til 11 or midnight and this mama just can't do that with working full time. 
  • Werr just in the process of the transition so I can't tell you if of its success just yet but he defiantly seems to be getting into a new routine! I found with LO too that he too gets tired around 2 -2.5 hrs of being awake so I stretch him a little longer every 2 days at the same time shortening his second sleep so that he doesn't go sleeping too close to bedtime (bc he's had less sleep so hes tired and sleeps longer...) during this time he definatly was more clingy  as he wasn't in a routine but after a couple days he's now getting used to this new routine...

• Loading the player...
  • we've been a little off with visiting friends this weekend and going out on errands. but yesterday he did really well. he took two naps - the first was 2 hours and the second was an hour and a half.  When he was doing 3 naps his first was usually one hour, second was over one hour (sometimes two); and his third was about one hour.  this morning he seemed very tired after 2.5 hrs so my husband put him down.  I think it will take some time, but we'll just keep at it and I think he'll be fine, and he'll take two long naps (I hope) which is wonderful.  yesterday he was in a great mood, he went down really easily.  Oh, and he goes to bed between 6:45 and 7:30. he went down to bed really easily the past two nights.  
  • We're transitioning also. It really just depends on if she has a solid second nap or not. If so, then she usually won't need the 3rd. But if her 2nd nap is crappy or short, then we for the 3rd. Her awake times are around 2.5-3 hours now and has a mid-morning nap and 2nd is usually around 1 or 2 start.
  • I can't imagine my baby napping for 2 hours, I wouldn't know what to do with myself haha. If she naps 40 minutes I feel like I'm on top of the world
  • My friend asked if we did the 2-3-4 method which I had never heard of before, but it's very close to my LO's sleep cues and very loose routine. Wake up for day, nap two hours later. Wake up, next nap three hours later, wake up and bedtime four hours later.