April 2016 Moms

Making your own wipes. Cloth Wipes

We fly through wipes. It's expensive and honestly I just don't like them. I've decided to transition a few cloth diapers into cloth wipes. I'm a Newby at cloth wipes and have no idea what I'm doing. But I'm determined! Any tips or tricks!?

Re: Making your own wipes. Cloth Wipes

• What material are your diapers made from? We bought our cloth wipes, but they are 100% cotton - terry on one side and flannel on the other and would be very simple to make. Some textures are better at "wiping" rather than "smearing" the poop, if that makes sense. I love having the two sides - the terry is great for poop and I usually use the flannel for pee. 
    I totally would have made my wipes too, but we got a really good deal on them.
  • I just use baby washcloths...
  • Loading the player...
    That's a good idea! Are you happy with how they work?
  • I second the flannel/terry cloth wipes. Terry cloth grabs the poop, flannel is a nice after wipe. I made mine. They are simple squares or rectangles, turned and top stitched. They are so quick and easy to make. Wash on hot and tumble dry. I prefer them to the plain washcloths because they're thicker.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    I'm happy with it, but it's all I know. I keep thinking I should try the flannel wipes just to see, and because I want more wipes around. So far I haven't had any issues per say, provided I get the washcloth wet enough before I use it.

Not to derail, but have any of you ladies tried the petite creme that is supposed to be a good wipes solution substitution?
    I'm happy with it, but it's all I know. I keep thinking I should try the flannel wipes just to see, and because I want more wipes around. So far I haven't had any issues per say, provided I get the washcloth wet enough before I use it.

Not to derail, but have any of you ladies tried the petite creme that is supposed to be a good wipes solution substitution?
    I had to look up petite creme and it is what I thought it was - Linament oleo calcaire. I have tried it before and used it with cotton squares. It gets poo off very well and it's a great moisturizer. I never used it with cloth diapers because I was afraid it would affect the efficiency of the insert. In my opinion, 15 dollars is a ridiculous price for it. I've seen 1/2 litre bottles here in Europe for 4 for 5 euros. You can also make your own, all you need is olive oil and limewater. https://dansmapetiteroulotte.eklablog.fr/fabriquer-son-liniment-oleo-calcaire-a112476402
    Pregnancy Ticker

I use Kissaluvs Lotion Potion concentrate. It's basically jojoba, chamomile, lavender and tea tree oils, and you dilute about a teaspoon at a time with witch hazel. I just spray it directly on the butt and then use a dry wipe. One bottle lasts for a looooooong time! I love how it leaves his skin so soft and moisturized.
  • I think I'll just buy some clothes wipes lol!! 
  • I bought some off etsy that were a single layer of baby flannel fabric that were serged around the outside. You can buy this baby flannel at joanns for like $4 a yard and cut into squares. You could zigzag stitch around the outside or even leave them as is for that cheap!  I like how thin they are for all the crevices- much better than my double layer ones. I just wet mine with water- so easy!
  • We use flannel and it works great! For the solution, I just dilute a bit of baby castile soap and some lavender essential oil in warm water, soak them all, ring them pretty dry, and store them in a wipes box. It's a good idea to use them within 2 weeks to avoid mildew or bacteria growth, but I mean, c'mon... He poops like 5x a day... ;-)