September 2016 Moms

The Induction Thread

Ask all your induction related questions here, whether you already know you are getting induced or want to prepare yourself for the possibility.

Re: The Induction Thread

• Shiva14Shiva14 member
    edited August 2016

I was told yesterday I'll be getting induced Tuesday very early morning if the baby hasn't come by then. Part of me is so relieved to have a day so I can quit worrying about making it to the hospital on time. Part of me feels guilty - with DS I was very much against induction unless absolutely necessary and for some reason I can't quite bring myself to believe that precipitous labor qualifies as a necessity.I also got to have a med free birth with DS which brings me to my question -

Has anyone done a successful pain-med free induction?

I'm super worried the pitocin will make me cave in to get the epi and am thinking of asking them to just break my waters. I'm at a 4 now so I'm thinking that should be a possibility? Was pitocin really that painful for those of you that have tried it?

• I had pitocin 1 week ago today at my induction. I did have an epi and the pitocin was raised to its max. In the last few hours the pain from the pitocin was pretty bad. My epi wore off every hour to hour and a half and I had to be topped off so I could feel it. Could I have done it without an epi , yes I wasn't screaming it just wasn't pleasant, made it hard to focus on anything and I wanted to be calm when she came. The contractions were a minute apart so not a lot of time to relax in between. I know that wasn't the answer you are looking for as I had an epi but hope that helps a bit. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm nervous about my induction as well. I never thought I would be getting induced, but my doctor advocated for it as I am still stitched up from my cerclage. My concerns are slightly different from OPs though... I'm being induced tomorrow morning and they will start me out on an epidural right away so that they can remove my stitches and then they will start me on the pitocin. I'm concerned that being on an epidural the entire time will make the labor go super slowly. I am a FTM but I had to have an epidural once before for a late term miscarriage and I absolutely do no like the feeling of not being in control of my lower half! I'm just trying to let go of control and give it to God at this point! Good luck to all of you ladies... I will let you know how my experience is after tomorrow! Cannot believe I will finally be meeting baby Brooks!!!
  • Good luck tomorrow @jessbaldwin14!!! Not being in control of my lower half/ slow labor is why I'm worried about getting an epi too - I'm sure you will do fantastic though and I'm so happy you get to meet your rainbow baby!!! Keep us updated if you can :)
  • @Shiva14 my epi helped me dilate faster. I got induced in the morning and never got the epi till 2:45pm ish. It took me that long to get to 3cm. After that it took me from 2:45pm to maybe 6.5 hours later to get to 9cm. I stayed at 9cm for a few hours but that was a me thing no the epi. For a first time mom I was expecting a much longer labour. Oh and I only had to push for 28 min. 
  • @Shiva14
    I was induced with my first and was on pitocin for 3 days and never took anything for pain management.  I never ended up dilating (found out I have a narrow pelvic inlet I didn't know about) and had an emergency c section.  So while I never transitioned naturally and can't speak to that pain, I did labor for a long long time on pitocin without an epi.  And it was really tough.  I mentally prepared myself by reading Ina May Garten's Guide to Childbirth over and over.  I had back labor and that was probably the worst part.  If you end up with back labor I would recommend alternating between using a birthing ball and standing on the floor, leaning over the bed, with your hubs/partner pushing on your lower back.  The pressure will help offset the pain.  
  • @shiva14, I'm in a similar situation hanging out at 4cm (for 17 days now!). Have you had your membranes swept? My OB thinks that might be enough to push me over at my appointment on Friday (I prefer no interventions until I get to my dd at least). I've also had 2 med-free labors and have similar concerns on getting through with Pitocin. Both of my labors have been very fast, which is why I think I've managed without pain meds. My OB is pretty confident that I would just need a small dose of Pitocin to get things started, and that things would likely proceed very quickly with my history and starting out with a favorable cervix. I'm still hoping to go into labor on my own before then, but have some hope that I'll still be able to go med-free if induced.
  • @Shiva14 I had cervadil placed for 12h, then started on pitocin. Was having contractions that were tolerable with both. Not sure what the range of pitocin is but I was on 8 and it was fine. What caused me pain was having my water broken. The contractions went from totally manageable to tears and having to breathe through them. Immediately. 

Id had 3 unmedicated births before (nubain shot with first) and took nubain this time to help me get some sleep about 14hours in to the induction. It lasts a couple of hours. I want to be a CRNA one day so had this plan that if labor was intense, I would get an epidural to try it out. 

Only problem was I transitioned during the placement. I went from 3cm to crowning between however much time it took them to set up the tray, numb me, and insert the catheter into my epidural space. 

I should have known I was transitioning bc I had the classic "I can't do this anymore!" Need to vomit, need to poop, feel like I have to push. I yelled all these things. Of course while a newer CRNA was threading my catheter. So my L&D nurse says to lay down and she'll check me. Which was supposedly better for the epidural to "settle in evenly?" But when she checked me baby was crowning. 

Dr runs in, I push, baby is born. No medicine made it to me in time but it did help for the stitches. Then my legs and butt were numb. So I basically got all the side effects and no benefits. 

But how do you know how fast you're going to progress? I coulda been hours longer and loved my epidural. Wish there was a way to forecast that. 

Long story short; for me pit was tolerable. And if I had known I only had to deal w bad contractions for 30 min, I totally would've pushed through 
  • mom2adoodlemom2adoodle member
    edited August 2016
    I was induced! Ask me anything! 

Order of of how things went:

cervical check, epidural, cervadil, balloons to dilate, pitocin, baby! the whole process took about 12 hours. 

Edited to add that I never felt a thing after the epidural. Literally nothing. Even while pushing. So the most unpleasant thing was the cervical check. Talk about a weird birthing experience! 
  • Good thread... I am thinking my doc will suggest induction tomorrow at my appointment. My D date is Friday and this girl is not showing any signs of wanting to leave her comfy womb lifestyle... I will probably schedule one... But i do feel somewhat bad about even scheduling it... 
  • @fireflygirl12 funny how the numbers give you hope and then nothing happens, isn't it? They have not swept my membranes because we are somewhat trying to avoid me going into labor on my own. My last labor was 1 hr 45 min start to finish. I barely made it to the hospital. This time I am an hour from the hospital + DH is 45 minutes in the opposite direction working (not to mention trying to get someone to watch DS) and my OB is worried I won't make it in time. I am feeling quite a bit of guilt over inducing but at the same time I think it's the safest thing.

@jensou and @NashBelle, thank you for your perspective!! My labor began with my water breaking last time and it was definitely intense immediately. If contractions with pitocin are less than that until your water breaks that gives me hope I can push through. Were you able to labor outside the bed? Last time the worst thing for me was lying on my back - if I could stand I felt fine. 
  • @Shiva14 we must be twins - I made it to the hospital just over an hour before DS2 came out. My OB offered induction at 39w for the same reason, but I'm also GBS+ and should be there 4hrs early. That is so not happening.
  • @Shiva14 we must be twins - I made it to the hospital just over an hour before DS2 came out. My OB offered induction at 39w for the same reason, but I'm also GBS+ and should be there 4hrs early. That is so not happening.

Ugh I was so worried about being positive for that same reason. Are they just going to administer the penicillin after birth assuming you don't get it beforehand? 
  • @Shiva14 with my son I had 10min between arrival at birth center and his delivery. This time around I'm GBS + and my midwife and I agreed there's basically no way in hell we will have 4hrs for antibiotics. She said they'll just keep baby and I for 48hrs instead of 24. She wasn't concerned at all and I feel like that's totally fine. Risks are so low of passing it onto baby (.5-1%), I think and extra day of observation is good. Plus I'm allergic to penicillin, so there's that too. (I also totally have supplies in my car for a birth and midwife gave my husband a "midwifery 101" on how to deliver a baby :) )
  • I also had two successful, short inductions. Most recently with Ava I started pitocin at 530-6am and had her at 1042am. I was, however already 4cm dilated when I went into the hospital. 

I was very nervous about the induction but it went so smooth and I couldn't have asked for a better delivery. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • @seitzy3 I'm pretty jealous of that induction! 
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• I was induced at 37 weeks for "non reassuring fetal status." DS wasn't hardly moving and failed NSTs and BPPs and heart rate decelerated into the 70s so we got admitted... It was scary just because his HR kept dropping when I was pushing finally after 32 hours of labor and with a vacuum. My epidural worked for 9 hours but stopped when everything really picked up and I thought I may die. They did place another one but that one didn't take either. Hope this one does!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My OB doesn't seem worried at all and we'll just have to stay an extra day for observation. Risk is extremely low, especially since my previous 2 deliveries my water didn't break until I started pushing, which greatly reduces the exposure time.
  • I may be induced and am prettyyyy nervous. Baby measures 42 weeks (when I'm 37) and 9 pounds. That with my rising blood pressure and abnormal blood work is a recipe for induction. We go back on Tuesday to discuss and I will update then! :smile:

• I was induced at 38 weeks with DS1 and I'm getting induced next Friday at 39 weeks with DS2 because of BP spikes.  

That being said they broke my water and started pitocin at the same time and within 30 mins of that I was having contractions less than 3 mins apart and they were intense.  I got the epi after a couple hours because like others have said you can't predict how long labor will last and I had heard all the horror stories of 20 hour labor.  Well mine ended up being pretty fast 5ish hours start to finish.  I had no contractions prior to them starting pitocin however I was about 3cm dilated when I walked in.  When it was time for me to push I could feel all the pressure but not the cramping pain of the contractions.  And within 30 mins of delivery they determined I pretty much felt everything my legs were fine and I could walk. They of course assisted me to the bathroom to pee just in case they were wrong but I felt totally normal.

im praying this induction goes as smooth.  At my appt yesterday I was 3-4cm dilated already.
  • @Shiva14 I was able to walk to the bathroom and to sit on a birthing ball which was a nice relief on my hips. I stood at the side of bed and did squats every once in a while to just get the blood flowing. Also just standing and swaying back and forth was helpful. Then I would lay back down when my hips / back / legs felt better. The rule was that on cervadil I had to be on monitor (brief break for bathroom was fine). 

It would have been nice to be able to walk but being allowed to stand and move about next to the bed was a pretty great option. 

This was also great bc I did need to have a BM (admitted at 12MN and baby didn't come til 5:41pm) and if I wasn't allowed to get up would have had to use a bedpan.

@ab920  I hope everything goes well for you! Good luck :) 
  • I was induced a little over a week ago. These are the simplified steps I went through

Checked in Tuesday night, cervidil put in for 12h, Started Pitocin Wednesday morning but it only helped me along a little, Wedenesday noonish placed ballon to help dilate (this made very painful contractions), water broken early evening, early Thursday morning started pushing, after 3.5 hours (!!!) baby wasn't coming out. Since there was no distress I had to wait about 2 hours to get into a surgical room to have a c/s. After that baby came within 15 minutes. 

Overall process was 39 hours from check into hospital till baby was born. I hesitated to add my story since it is not one that I would wish on anyone and I would love to give positive vibes to everyone, but it is sadly a possible outcome of getting induced and everyone should have the full picture. 

Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Got my induction date today. This Thursday at 3am. I'm a little disappointed because I went into labor naturally and on time with my first and now I have to get induced. Has anyone else gone through this? Does inducing take a lot longer, even if you're already dilated to 4 cm? I'm so nervous. 
  • I found out I will be induced on Thursday at midnight due to my BP going up all the sudden. I will be 39 weeks.

I was induced with DS for high BP as well, but it was a little different...I was scheduled for another midnight induction but ended up going in a day early because he failed the NST. He was fine once I got to the hospital, but my OB said we could move up the timeline since I was already there.

I was already 4cm (according to my OB, 3 according to the L&D nurse) when I arrived at noon, so I was hopeful things would go quickly. They broke my water around 5 and my contractions got intense pretty quickly, so I had the epidural not long after...I was 5 at that point, so going slowly. But after the epidural, I felt NOTHING. I couldn't even lift my legs!

Until it was time to push, than I felt a LOT of pressure. I ended up being in labor for 17 hours, so I'm really hoping it goes faster this time.

Im definitely wondering what the timeline will be like since I won't go in until midnight. I'm guessing the doc won't be breaking my water until morning, so I expect it won't go super fast.

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • I am scheduled to go in tomorrow at 5pm for Cervidil and then start Pitocin at 8am on Thursday. Thursday is my birthday so I'm hoping everything goes well and I get a healthy baby boy for my birthday! I was planning on a natural birth so I am very nervous but hopeful that I will still be able to do it pain med free. Open to everything at this point as I'm 40w5d and just ready for baby to be here. 
  • Got my induction date today. This Thursday at 3am. I'm a little disappointed because I went into labor naturally and on time with my first and now I have to get induced. Has anyone else gone through this? Does inducing take a lot longer, even if you're already dilated to 4 cm? I'm so nervous. 
    Inducing can either be really short or long. It just depends on your body and how baby handles pitocin. Are you already 4cm? If that's the case, it could be easier for you. I was 4cm dilated when I went in and started pitocin at 6am and had baby at 1042am.  Again, it just depends! Hoping for an easy and complication free delivery for you. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Induction booked today for Thursday the 15th. I'll be 40+2. We are inducing because we have a two vessel cord (it's missing an artery) which can impact growth near the end so OB doesn't want me going far past my due date. They also found a white spot near his stomach on an ultrasound. They said it's probably a calcification but haven't given us any more info, except it was listed as a "reason for induction" on the consent form. They did test my blood for both cytomegalovirus and taxioplasmosis, saying if either came back positive, that could be the reason for the spot, but both were negative.

I have to go the night before and get a foley cathedar placed in my cervix to help me dilate, but will sleep at home that night. They said I might get cramping and be uncomfortable from that. Has anyone had one before?

The only part that worries me is the increased risk of c-section. The OB touched on this today but I wasn't sure whether it's because once they break your water they want baby delivered within 24 hours? Or is it because with each intervention the risk of c-section increases? Anyone know?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Induction next Tuesday, the 13th, at 39 weeks on the dot due to my high blood pressure. We go in Friday to discuss.

Super nervous as I've planned/prepared for a unmedicated birth (no pain medicine) and I've heard horror stories about Pitocin contractions. I'm planning on asking my doctor to sweep my membranes or break my water on Friday to see if we can at least try to go totally unmedicated. Fingers crossed! 
  • @RG1 I believe it's because once they break your water the risk of infection goes up, but that's true for if they break naturally as well. I know there's a window for when they want you to deliver after that, but I'm not sure what it is. 
  • I'm going in Friday night on my due date to be induced, starting with the Foley cath. I'm nervous.... @rg1 my OB in her own words "yeah it doesn't tickle"

I really don't want a C-section but hopefully we will both avoid it.

I think at my hospital it's like 30-48 hours that they will let you labor after your water breaks but they don't like to let it go past 24.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ab920 said:
    Induction next Tuesday, the 13th, at 39 weeks on the dot due to my high blood pressure. We go in Friday to discuss.

Super nervous as I've planned/prepared for a unmedicated birth (no pain medicine) and I've heard horror stories about Pitocin contractions. I'm planning on asking my doctor to sweep my membranes or break my water on Friday to see if we can at least try to go totally unmedicated. Fingers crossed! 
    I was able to go fully unmedicated except for the pitocin this time! You can do it!!!

@bartonolivia I ended up having a similar experience to @seitzy3 and I, too, came in at a 4. They gave me pitocin for 2 hours and I was at a 5. Broke my water and 1hour 40 min later I was holding my baby. It could be longer or shorter for you, but 4 cm is a great start.
  • Scheduled an induction date today. Exact due date, September 20th at 8pm. It's weird seeing "Have baby" on my calendar. Lol.

I asked about it because of the gestational diabetes, but the doctor said since my numbers have been perfect the entire time they aren't concerned about that at all. I never did get that last growth scan because my insurance never (still hasn't) approved it and at this point it's not really worth it. She said according to my fundal height baby was right on track and shouldn't be big, but it's all guesswork anyway, so we'll see. 

The reason they don't want me to go past my due date is because of the increased nuchal fold from way back when and ambiguous ultrasound pictures of her aortic arch. She needs an EKG after birth and they're concerned letting me go past 40 weeks would be risky. The doctor said if I really wanted for whatever reason I could schedule an induction at 41 weeks, but I'm honestly about 2000% done and I don't want to risk anything. I'm still hoping she comes before the 20th, but it's nice having a day to count down to rather than waking up every morning wondering if today's the day.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had planned to have a fully unmedicated birth but once we booked the induction (I was 41 weeks and baby was big), I knew that pitocin might make that hard and kept an open mind about the epidural. Glad I did because as soon as they broke my water, I was climbing the bed begging for the meds. We turned off the pitocin not long after they started it and labor progressed really quickly. Unfortunately, we ended up having an emergency c section when I was 8cm dilated because the baby's heart rate kept falling at the end of each contraction. I was terrified and disappointed about the c section but in the end I am so glad they did it and our baby boy is healthy and safe! My whole birth plan might as well have been used at TP, but it was all fine and completely worth it!

I don't think the induction really necessitated the c section since it took very little med to jump start my labor and he didn't tolerate the contractions well from the very beginning, but is possible. It was definitely crazy going from no meds in my head to literally dozens of meds/interventions throughout the process yesterday. 
  • Congrats @cmiska he's adorable!! It is good that you kept an open mind on everything. That's my plan. I'd like to try an unmedicated birth, but am open to the epidural if I need it. Likewise, I'd really like to avoid a c-section, but if that's what's necessary then it is what it is. I just want a healthy mom and baby so I'm going with the flow. I think keeping an open mind is key so you had a good outlook despite your birth plan. Again, congrats!
  • @cmiska Thanks for sharing your story. Did breaking your water hurt? And was it a giant gush? They told me they'd break it and let me walk around a few hours to see if I start contractions on my own so I'm really hoping that happens!
  • Set for 5:00AM on Tuesday to break my waters. My doctor doesn't think I'll need the pitocin since I'm already 3 cm, effaced, and baby is in a good position. He told me to be prepared for labor after the water breaks--apparently "it's all elbows and knees" afterward. 

I'm going in with an open mind and my fingers crossed!  :)
  • I am having problems with the amniotic fluid that keeps going up and down.... today my dr almost put me to be induced, but I was able to stuff my face with liquids for 2 days to bring it up. He is checking me 2x a week because of the amount of the liquid. He said if it drops again, he will induce me next week. I think I am freaking out the most because with DD i went into labor on my own, and about the possibility of having a cs.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @RG1 it was a big warm gush and then a continuous slower leak. The breaking of the water didn't hurt any more than the cervical check being done at the same time. However, the contractions once my water was broken were a whole new ball game. Went from painful but bearable to epi was the only means of survival. 
  • @cmiska thanks for the info!! Glad it all went well for you :)
  • I'm going in tomorrow (at 39 weeks exactly) for the cervical ripening suppository pill. At my cervical examine last week, I was totally closed up. Doctor says if I don't respond she will send me home and we will try another time. I have an induction scheduled for Friday, September 30th, so if this doesn't take, that's the latest they will let her stay (40 weeks plus 1 day) since I have gestational diabetes with insulin. 

So I could have this baby anytime now! I just hope everything goes well!