August 2016 Moms

Setting Boundaries? Need advice please.

So today is my due date, and I'm still waiting for LO to get here but I'm starting to stress out about the delivery situation and afterwards. 

My mom is the kind of person who has never once in my life respected any boundaries or requests for privacy. I'm her only child and so she uses that as an excuse to use random details of my life to get attention from friends/family. (i.e. I got the sniffles and somehow everyone ever knew or I got my period for the first time and she called the whole damn family to tell them.) 

I try to avoid hurting her delicate feelings BUT I'm getting to the point where she is making me furious. I've tried being the 'good daughter' who keeps her mom updated on things but she's getting too pushy and I feel like ripping my hair out. 
Example, when I found out I was pregnant- I told her but asked her not to tell anyone yet because we weren't ready to announce it. The next freaking day, I get on FB and see that she posted on a friend of hers wall that she needed to pray for me because I'm pregnant out of wedlock. LIKE SERIOUSLY? 
She then gave me a bunch of crap that she saved from when I was a baby that I don't want or need and demands I take pictures of my daughter in them when she's born, when I have told her that I have no room for the stuff and don't want it. She buys things from yard sales and thrift stores that are either nasty or completely age inappropriate (i.e. mildew covered baby carrier, used car seat, size 4t clothes etc.) and then gets insulted if I don't act delighted. 
She's started calling the family (my grandma, aunts, cousins) almost daily to start talking some debbie downer style things like how she doesn't think I'll be able to have the baby natural because I'm so petite and I won't be able to breastfeed because she couldn't and how my boyfriend is going to hell for being Catholic.

THEN after I tell her that I only want my boyfriend in the delivery room, she has the nerve to ask if she can be in there. I told her no, that I felt it was an intimate time for me and him and baby. She proceeds to get her feelings hurt and cry because "your grandma was in the room with me and I was glad to have her". 
THEN she tells me that she wants to know when I go into labor so she can tell everyone and be in the waiting room.. I told her that I didn't want a bunch of people there as soon as I delivered and she said "Well, you'll just have to deal with it because it's what people do". NO. NO NO NO. I want a little bit of recovery time before she's in my room trying to hold MY baby, especially when my mom is a sickly person who pretty much always has a sinus infection and has had multiple bouts of MRSA. It might sound bad but I'm kind of reluctant to even let her hold the baby. (She won't even get a TDAP booster.)

And to complicate it all, she can't even drive so my dad would have to be there as well and he hasn't spoken to me ever since he found out I was pregnant because he's and outspoken racist and my boyfriend is Mexican. He has already pretty much said that he doesn't claim this grandbaby and I certainly don't want him hanging around insulting my boyfriend's family during what should be a happy time. OH and she has set up a baby area in their house (which is cluttered with my dad's hoard), despite the fact that I have told her that the baby will not be staying with them as their house is dirty and they have multiple cats which I'm allergic to and that I do NOT want my child around my father unless a miracle occurs. Apparently this makes me a terrible daughter because I won't let my infant go to a potentially dangerous situation for overnight visits once she's born.

I'm seriously afraid that she's going to try to push herself into the delivery room right after or invite a bunch of people that I barely know in to meet my baby, when I'm going to be tired and want family time ( Me, boyfriend, baby). 

She's already basically said that she doesn't care what I want, so would it be rude if I made a FB post visible to other family member and friends outlining MY wishes and boundaries so that I don't jut get trampled by everyone? ( I don't mind visitors but I don't want them when I just pushed a rather large baby out my hoohah not an hour earlier. ) 

Sorry it's such a long post, I'm just stressing out so bad over it. I don't want to be a "bad daughter", but I feel like if I don't put my foot down now- she'll just try to steamroll me forever..

Re: Setting Boundaries? Need advice please.

• You're in control, and yes with controlling parents we let them steamroll us in a lot of ways. But trust me once your little girl is here, you won't let yourself allow anything you aren't comfortable with happen to her. And I'm assuming your boyfriend won't either. Things will be different for you once she's here. A lot changed for me with my relationship with my mom after my DD was born. 
    I couldn't agree more. You will be surprised how strong you will be regarding her and your DD. 

Good Luck and keep us updated how it goes. We all want the best for you!
    34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • Loading the player...
  • cinnabonjovicinnabonjovi member
    edited August 2016
    If I don't go into labor on my own, I'm scheduled to be induced on the 6th... and I'm seriously considering just not telling her until the baby is already here but I'm afraid that would be rude because my boyfriend's dad has already said that he's gonna be there regardless of wait time (first bio grandchild). BUT I also know that he's not the type to storm the delivery room. And that's also considering that we (and his family) live over an hour from the hospital whereas my mom is just 20 minutes away from it.

The hospital I'm going to has a code on the doors to get into L&D and that is probably going to be such a hassle saver. 
  • Stand your ground with whatever you and your boyfriend decide regarding who will be at the hospital and when they will meet this little joy. 
    Just know that you won't make everyone happy. So as long as you and your bf are happy that's the most important. 

We battled with this as well. But thankfully the universe took care of it for us. I went into labor prior to my scheduled c-section. Delivered after 9 pm and visiting hours were over till the morning. The hospital said we could allow family in after we got to the room if we wanted, but we could also fall back on the visiting hours are over rule. We decided to wait till the morning. 

34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • Hopefully she'll be born either during the time visiting hours are over or during what the hospital calls 'Serenity Time' where there are absolutely no guests allowed for a couple of hours in the afternoon. 
  • When you register they will ask you if they can disclose you are a patient if somebody inquires, just say no.  That way you control the flow of the information.  Don't tell anybody until you are ready to see people.