October 2016 Moms
Options

Baby phone apps

What apps have you downloaded to your phone or plan to when the baby arrives? This can be anything from tracing contractions, to breast feeding, to diaper changes. What other apps are out there that can save us first time mommas out there? 

Re: Baby phone apps

• Options
    Well, I'm a FTM and no real experience with apps yet, but I downloaded some to my phone and have been trying to see which I like the best. 
    For feeding I am trying to decide between the following, as they track your baby’s diapers, sleeps, crying, baths, growth, etc. And for breastfeeding, which breast you used and there is a timer so you know the duration of the feeds. Some have graphs too, so you can monitor progress or lack of, so you can see if there is a problem.  
    Breastfeeding - Baby Tracker
    Feed Baby
    Glow Baby
    Baby Tracker
    Baby Care
    I have the Kick Me app right now that I use when I haven't felt her in a while. I  just lay down and start the timer and when I feel a kick, I log it. 
    I also have Baby Sleep which plays noises to help baby sleep. You can even record your own. 
    I have downloaded two contraction timers and don't know which I like best yet. They are both called Contraction Timer.
  • Options
    I have downloaded the Hubble app for our monitor (which we currently spy on the dog with!) Also have one for reminders that baby is in the car called Baby Reminder. 

Need to download one for feeding but haven't decided which yet. I can do contractions and kick counts on Ovia. 

Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used MammaBaby with my first - for tracking diaper changes for the first few months and for timing breastfeeding until we stopped and I still use it for timing naps.  There was a 30 day free trial, but the full version is $3.99.  I like it a lot, but I haven't used anything else, so I don't really have anything to compare it with.
  • Options
    I have "My Contactions" to time contractions. I like it because it has a graph that shows progression.

Ive heard great things about the  "Baby Nursing" app. Other moms rave about the syncing feature. Great for Mom and Dad to keep track of everything related to the care of the baby.
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• Options
    F47F47 member
    I downloaded a sound machine app with DS. He had colic and severe reflux and screamed allllll the time. However, white noise seemed to calm him - especially in the car. So, it came in handy. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Off to look all of these up! Thanks ladies! 
  • Options
    What's the purpose of tracking diaper changes?
  • Options
    bnsmith85 said:
    I'm a scientist, so I want to track everything even without knowing it's purpose.  Maybe one day I can make a graph!?  
    But I think it's just to monitor intake from what I've heard before...what goes in must come out?  But I'm a clueless FTM!
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Options
    I downloaded Glow baby. You can log all of babies milestones, as well as keep track of feeding, diapering, sleeping, etc!!

My H downloaded a contraction app...maybe I should do that too.

@F47 I have to check out a sound machine app. That is a great idea!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Total baby keeps track of everything! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Options
    bnsmith85 said:
    To make sure baby isn't dehydrated and is eating enough. I had to keep track for the nurses in the hospital. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Options
    @bnsmith85 In my breastfeeding class she said that the pediatrician will ask at the first appointment and could ask you to track for a few weeks. It's to make sure they are eating enough and getting all of their nutrition in. 
  • Options
    Which of these apps can synch between multiple users? I'll be the primary caretaker for baby for the first two months at least, but after that hubby will need to track, too. 

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    I use "Full term" for timing my contractions. You can set it to notify you if you've gotten x amount in an hour or if they are x far apart, etc, and even call the doctor for you. I really like it and it's super easy to use and navigate. 
  • Options
    serenaxo84serenaxo84 member
    edited August 2016

Our pediatrician literally laughed at me when I brought in my hand written nursing time and poopy/wet diapers list. I am not downloading any of those apps as they make more anxious and I want to try and go with the flow this time. I feel like you know if your baby isn't peeing or pooping enough and if I am concerned I will start tracking.

I also found keeping time of how long baby was on breast for was tedious and made me overthink all things breastfeeding, as I got contradicting information, "feed on demand" "don't let baby stay on breast for more than 20 minutes" "offer second breast after 1st" "don't offer second breast" "Let baby stay on breast for as long as it wants"- it was too stressful- so I am going to start this nursing journey with the least amount of stress possible and just do what feels right for me.

Anyways- long rant. I really loved the Wonder Weeks app- it helped me figure out what LO was doing developmentally and helped me understand periods of clinginess and fussiness better.

I also have a white noise app because white noise is amazing.

Edit- we kept track in the hospital- but they didn't really care about my list. They just wanted to know the last time the baby had a dirty diaper.

Double Edit- for those of you that want a portable white noise but don't want to always have to use your phone, this thing is awesome!

https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/homedics-reg-mybaby-soundspa-on-the-go-sound-machine-in-green/1046396693?Keyword=white+noise

• Options
    @bnsmith85 When my friends had their baby in December, the hospital gave them a paper to track wet/poopy diapers, etc. and the pediatrician wanted to see the chart for a while. Like others said, to make sure baby is eating enough and not dehydrated.

I downloaded Glow Baby, BabyNursing, and Sprout Baby to see which one I like best. I'm not sure which one my friend has (i'll have to ask), but I know she uses one app to track everything (breastfeeding timer, diaper tracker, sleep timer, etc.)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @serenaxo84 I also had the Wonder Weeks app with my first and really liked it.  It seemed to be pretty spot on with her fussy periods, and helped me feel better prepared for it and also know that there was an end in sight.

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    bnsmith85 We were also told to keep track of wet/poopy diapers, we had a home visit a few days after delivery and that nurse asked to see it, our pediatricians office asked for it, and so did our lactation consultant. 

For the lactation consultant it helps them to show that baby's getting enough to eat if they have wet or poopy diapers.  

For the home visit she wanted to see it since our son was jaundice and they recommend extra feedings for more bowel movements to help lessen the jaundice.  It also had to do with wanting to know how little one was doing with getting back up to "birth weight" after being released from the hospital. 

I don't remember if our pediatrician needed it for anything, just that we were supposed to bring it with to the first appointment that we had with him.  
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I live in a hot climate and baby brain has me really freaked out.  I have every intention of making DH and I use an app to track whether or not we have dropped the baby off at day care or something and not forgotten her in the back seat.

There are multiple apps for this but I haven't narrowed it down yet.  I figured I'd check out the few that are mentioned in this article:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/precious-cargo-babeep-the-hot-seat-apps-aim-to-stop-hot-car-deaths/
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @serenaxo84 I also had the Wonder Weeks app with my first and really liked it.  It seemed to be pretty spot on with her fussy periods, and helped me feel better prepared for it and also know that there was an end in sight.

@sidecarsareforbishes it really helped me too. DS was pretty spot on with the milestones and stormy periods. If anything it helped me feel like it wasn't something I was doing wrong that was making him fussy! I will definitely download it for this baby again.

I haven't looked at the book but I also wonder if it's worth buying...although I would most likely buy it and never read it.

• Options
    @purelex A good strategy that I've heard is to get into the habit of putting your purse/phone/wallet in the backseat, so you always have to look back there before leaving your car.  I plan on doing that!
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• Options
    @serenaxo84 I think I did buy the book last time.  It goes into more detail about the reasons behind the fussy periods, but really I think the app has decent enough explanations.

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    von1976von1976 member
    edited September 2016

@purelex If you use Waze, they now have a baby reminder you can turn on. It pops up at the end of your drive.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    gigglyappgigglyapp member
    edited October 2016
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Options
    @bnsmith85  I am almost frantic about being prepared to track my LO's diapers. I have an app for it and a log book next to her changer lol. (I'm a nut/worry wart) The reason being is her waste might be the first sign of something being wrong or if she's getting fed enough. This is probably one of the times being a CNA before might actually come in handy for me, since this is done for PT's/residents anyways so it could be easier getting back into the routine of logging it, hopefully.

The apps I've downloaded are:
    My Contractions
    Glow Baby

SO and I have been together: 5 Years+
    BFP: 03/10
    First Baby: 10/20/2016
  • Options
    I love the Baby Tracker app, here's what it looks like:

• Options
    babytracker is amazing 
  • Options
    @von1976 my husband and I use glow baby - we can both track and sync with that one and really like it so far.
  • Options
    +1 For BabyTracker. DH and I take shifts at night and the sync feature has been a lifesaver. 
    Me {32} DH {34}
    Married 05/2014

PCOS baby due October 09, 2016
    Beta #1: 22.5
    Beta #2: 74

• Options
    @AllyTheKid- so I have to thank you for mentioning babytracker before LO arrived on Saturday. I never did any tracking apps with DS because I assumed they would just make me more anxious (and I was already an effing wreck to begin with) but I LOVE babytracker and I wish I'd used it with him. If anything it would've calmed me down a bit to see everything in an organized layout instead of trying to remember (and surely failing).