October 2016 Moms
Options

GD Check In - 8.28

2»

Re: GD Check In - 8.28

• Options
    @Mintz1982 I'm in the same boat! Love my dr, hate the receptionist! 
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    pharmd2b2011pharmd2b2011 member
    edited September 2016
    How were numbers this past week?
    They have been good this week, one spike which was unexpected.  I have really tried to commit to an appropriate diet this week because my OB threatened to put me on medications and induce me at 39 weeks if I did not get my post-prandials under control. 

Any questions or suggestions for the GD ladies?
    Agree with all of the above posters in that breakfast has been the hardest for me as I always seem to spike here and all food choices are carb-heavy.  A half-tortilla breakfast burrito (sausage, egg, some cheese) made the night before and heated up the morning of has become my go-to breakfast option.  If anyone has any other successful breakfast options that are quick, grab-and-go: I am all ears!  Already loving some of the ideas above.

GTKY - What is your favorite holiday and why?
      Thanksgiving because we stuff 50+ people in my 80 year old grandmothers house.  My family from all across the country comes to celebrate and it is a wonderful time filled with good memories.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am totally lurking from January 2017 and it's nice to see I'm not alone. A little background, this is my second baby and I was diagnosed with GD during an early test at 21 weeks. So I'm a little ahead of others on my BMB. I'm now 23 weeks and just getting the hang of things. I have 2 questions I'm hoping you guys could help me with.

1. When did you guys start this weekly check-in on your BMB? I don't want to start it too soon but also don't want people to start to get diagnosed and not have a place to check in with others.

2. My fasting number in the morning has been borderline or today was high. Any tips or tricks you guys have for an evening snack and combating this? I'm supposed to be under 95 and have been running between 91-93 for the last week. Today I was at 97. Just thought I'd see what others have done. I did change up my snack last night and it was later than normal so I'm thinking of going back to what I was doing at least to get it back under 95.

Thank you for indulging me and letting me pick your brains even though you are all a few months ahead of me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @Carly79 I was diagnosed around 13 weeks, so super early. There were a couple ladies here who were familiar with Diabetes and GD, so we started a thread early, but it didn't quite take off until later as people got results in then people just kind of started trickling in. I don't think they'd see a problem in starting a weekly thread so that as people get their results they have somewhere to go. Just be prepared not to have a whole lot of posters at first. 

As for the fasting numbers... mine are consistently high, and my doctor gave me different parameters, so I don't really have any feedback on that. Sorry, but good luck and all the best for a healthy baby!
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    @Carly79 My go to evening snack is cheese and crackers. I count out my crackers to stay around 15 grams of carbs. Eating protein helps my fasting numbers. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Options
    @Carly79 You are welcome to hang around here for some advice! I was diagnosed at 20 weeks. And I second @waterfall213... Cheese is a good pre-bedtime snack! 

Protein balances out my numbers too because from what I've learned, it doesn't let the carbs store, it burns them. I actually had Chipotle today (last day of work treat!) and my number was 95 two hours later! I definitely think it was because I made sure to eat most of the meat with it!
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    @carly79 My fasting numbers were consistently high until my medication was changed and now they are usually in the 90s - my aim is under 95, but sometimes they are a few higher. Honestly I don't think a few points is going to matter much and my doctor doesn't seem too concerned. I'm a bad person to ask about snacks because I usually have something borderline bad - Arctic Zero Frozen Dessert or some sort of chocolatey protein bar - or maybe chew gum with sugar in it. I know I'm supposed to have no-carb snacks according to my dietitian, but cheese and nuts are not dessert. 

• Options
    @RainMira9e I have carb snacks all the time! My nutritionist said 30-45 carbs per snack. It's so weird how they all can be so different! And I eat chocolate protein bars all the time too lol
    DS born 2016
  • Options
    Well my after-supper snack is supposed to be no-carb because of my morning numbers. During the day I can have carbs in the snacks. Not 30-45. Mine is under 30 for breakfast, 15 snack, 30-45 for lunch, 15 snack, 60 for supper, no carb snack. But 180 a day. Yeah, I know that doesn't add up.

• Options
    Anyone got a desert recipe it's apple season in Ontario and all my family is posting there apple pies and crisps on facebook and here I am eating my raw apples. I'm combating some serious sweet tooth craving and I'm about ready to give up 
  • Options
    @Mintz1982 My mom made me an individual apple crisp a few weeks ago. She didn't put sugar on the apples then topped them with a little bit of oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I may keep checking in for a few weeks until things get going on my BMB. It feels really good to have some other people who are going through this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker