September 2015 Moms
Options

NBR- traveling with helium tank?

okay ladies hopefully one of you can help me! We are celebrating Remy's birthday on Saturday and I've purchased one of the small disposable party time helium tanks to fill balloons. I am traveling from north west Florida to north west Alabama (without LO it's about a 5 hour drive, with him there will likely be about a 2 hour pit stop half way through) I have searched Google and surprisingly not really found any relevant information so maybe one of you has some experience..

is it safe to travel with this helium tank? I'm not so much worried about when the car is on and were riding since it will be cool in the car. The concern is for when we make our pit stop. It could end up sitting in the car for a couple of hours and it gets very hot (the heat index here in Florida has been between 100 and 110 for the last couple of weeks, which could put the temperature in my car significantly higher than that) I probably wouldn't be as worried if I had a normal trunk to put it in but I have a Ford Explorer suv so it's an open trunk. I'm probably being seriously paranoid but I don't want the thing to explode!

I know direct heat (like throwing it on an open flame, for example) can cause the pressure to get too high and a tank to explode but would a hot car, not in direct sunlight have the same affect? Balloons are ao not worth endangering my sons life obviously but I've legit never heard of one exploding in a car and I can't be the only person who's ever traveled with one. Plus it was shipped to me and left on my front porch.

help! Am I being paranoid?

Re: NBR- traveling with helium tank?

• Options
    It would probably be fine. We always have a couple of tanks in our garage and it gets hot in the summer, though not nearly as hot as a parked car. For peace of mind maybe just buy a new one when you arrive? Our grocery store, BJs, Party City, craft stores all have them so they are easy to find...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    It would probably be fine. We always have a couple of tanks in our garage and it gets hot in the summer, though not nearly as hot as a parked car. For peace of mind maybe just buy a new one when you arrive? Our grocery store, BJs, Party City, craft stores all have them so they are easy to find...
    Unfortunately I'm going to a very small rural town, the only stores are a Walmart with limited products and a dollar general. I really would rather do that but it's not available there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Would walmart not just blow up the balloons for you? We're having Tatum's party in my rural hometown and our Kroger will blow them up in their floral department. 
  • Options
    Can you keep your windows open or sunroof if you have one? 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Options
    I agree with keeping windows cracked and also, how big is it? You could keep it in one of those big Costco freezer bags with a couple ice packs, if it is really, really hot. If something were to happen, fingers crossed it won't, it will be in a bag.