January 2017 Moms

Nitrates- Has bacon betrayed me?

So I am trying to gauge how much I should be concerned. Here I am thinking I have been following all of these pregnancy food guidelines, and then I noticed the past two times I have gotten sick (a week apart) were both after I ate bacon, once for breakfast, and once in a BLT. So I mention to my boss, since we commiserate being pregnant together, that I think my body has decided it doesn't like bacon. And she asks "Bacon? Was it uncured?" and I'm like.... no? Just normal bacon? And apparently bacon is the same as hot dogs because of nitrates? I have never seen bacon on a single one of these pregnancy banned food lists! So, is this like a terrible thing? Or just one of those super strict rules that not many people follow?

Re: Nitrates- Has bacon betrayed me?

• As far as a I know, nitrates are not on the strictly forbidden during pregnancy list. But it's probably better to limit your intake of them - pregnant or not. I can't really find anything that specifically talks about how they cause harm during pregnancy, aside from the fact that there is some evidence they can increase your chances of having cancer, and I guess that would apply to the baby as well. 

I don't think bacon is more likely than anything else to make you sick, so that could just be a coincidence or a fluke. 

Uncured bacon usually doesn't have nitrates, so that's an option if you want to reduce nitrate intake but don't want to give up the bacon. BLTs might be my favorite meal right now ;)
  • I'm pretty lax about pregnancy food rules, but no I've never seen bacon on a no-no list and hot dogs as far as I understand are on the list because of undercooking causing an increased risk of listeria. It could be that your body isn't crazy about bacon during pregnancy for whatever reason, grease content and sodium content come to mind. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Bacon isn't on my OB's list either.  I don't think there's an official recommendation on nitrates in pregnancy.  Like @katesmama0706 said, I was advised that hot dogs are on "the list" because of listeria risk not nitrate exposure.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks guys. Good to know it's not that I overlooked some blaring warning or something!