October 2016 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion 8/25

2»

Re: Unpopular Opinion 8/25

• Options
    @Piperella I also don't mind revisiting topics in a new post especially if it's more than a few weeks later.  The search function on the board makes finding old discussions difficult.  I usually have to go through at least three pages to find the relevant discussion from our board and that's after trying two or three different search terms.
  • Options
    I'm with you @Piperella and @ignoscemihi, mostly because searching does suck, but also because my perspective has shifted so many times throughout this pregnancy! 

Although this isn't strictly related to the discussion, there's a really good Radiolab podcast that touches on the idea of viability (mentioned by @sjo_thetwins) called "23 weeks 6 days". Although it's a happy and hopeful story, I should mention a TW just because it's about a difficult pregnancy. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jennielu that is a fantastic podcast, as is the follow up podcast. Both are hard to listen to, but partly what gave me my perspective on elective terminations after viability. 
  • Options
    DRAMA...I knew @FemShep would show up for it.
  • Options
    @Schell2013 I just wanted to say that I feel like your opinion is your opinion and you're entitled to it. I haven't commented because there's too many variables with everyone's personal situations for me to make a hard fast decision. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @Schell2013 I just wanted to say that I feel like your opinion is your opinion and you're entitled to it. I haven't commented because there's too many variables with everyone's personal situations for me to make a hard fast decision. 
    Everyone is totally entitled to their own opinion. Abortion is and will always be a hot topic and sure to bring out strong opinions. 
  • Options
    I may or may not get my ass roasted for this. But I don't think termination should be allowed in pregnancy after baby has a heart beat. This doesn't come from a religious background just that when it has a heartbeat it counts as a human soul IMO. 
    There is preganncy tests for cheap at a dollar store and if your late you should really be checking for pregnancy, especially if you don't want to carry it. That is part of being a women. 

Others have already responded but I just wanted to comment on the heartbeat = soul thing. 
    1. The concept of a soul is purely religious. 
    2. If heartbeat = soul then all cats, dogs, pigs, mice and fish have souls. 
    3. The medical terminology for "soul" is consciousness. Consciousness is still a highly debated topic but the ABSOLUTE EARLIEST one could claim it exists is the end of the second trimester (around the same time as viability). It most likely isn't developed until after birth. 
    Here is a great article about the development of consciousness in utero: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/when-does-consciousness-arise/#

And +1 to Sauerkraut! Also Rotkraut and Weißkraut... Yum.
    DS#1 born 05 October 2016
    DS#2  due 25 April 2019