September 2016 Moms
Options

Car Advice

Allow me to explain my SS car situation. In 2013 DH bought a VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI thinking we'd start a family, and then maybe once the kids were in school we'd want an SUV or something. Well, Volkswagen had a whole scandal with their diesel vehicles and long story short, we have to sell ours back to VW in October/November and are having to buy a car earlier than we anticipated. We have a 2 y/o and obviously will have a newborn very soon. 

We're having a hard time deciding between leasing and owning, and between a two-row or three-row SUV. We really liked the Subaru Outback, but thought it was a *little* tight. We also liked the Nissan Rogue quite a bit, until we learned that it cannot fit anything in the back row middle seat with two car seats. (We will be taking turns carpooling to nursery school with our neighbor, and so we will need to have an infant seat, convertible, and booster at the same time with some regularity.)

We will need to be able to put three car seats in the car in order to cart our neighbor around, but on most days, room for 2 car seats is fine. Really big SUV's like the Pilot (which we did test drive) seem too big. We will not go van. Certainly not now. Probably not ever.

Thought maybe we'd lease a 2 row and then buy a 3 row when the lease is up? Maybe we should just go for a three row now? I don't know. I need car buying advice. Badly. We want the decision to be made now so that when it's time to actually go out and buy a car with our 6 week old baby, we can just go out and do it.

We have seen and test driven:
Subaru Outback - too small?
Nissan Rogue - Not room for 3 car seats
Nissan Pathfinder- Prob our best option right now if we go 3 rows.
Honda Pilot - too big
Honda CRV - would have to buy new car seats to make 3 across work and it would be tight. Also I didn't like the cargo space
Hyundai Santa Fe  - Just didn't like it. 1,000,000 buttons on the dash board. And they make you subscribe to a service to use the remote start.

Someone just pick a car for me and put me out of my misery.

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Car Advice

• Options
    I'm surprised that you have to sell yours back so quickly!  My husband has a Jetta TDI (2008 I think). He just got the paperwork in the mail this week explaining his options. He said that he has until September 2018 to decide if he wants VW to fix it or buy it back.  Maybe his timeline is different because his car is paid off and yours may not be??  We have decided that we are going to wait for a while and pay down on my car before replacing his. 

As as for what car to get, I am not much help. We jumped straight to the minivan when my old car needed to be replaced last year. I don't know too much about the cars you have listed. 

• Options
    @marajay6 as the mileage goes up, the buy back value goes down significantly and we're within a couple thousand miles of a big drop in value. VW has yet to come up with an actual fix for the car. Legally they have to offer that as an option, but if you choose that, they can't do anything about it yet because they haven't engineered a solution.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @KimmySchmidt  - I haven't read any of the paperwork but my husband didn't tell me anything about it being related to mileage. But his car is older so maybe there isn't too much less for the value to go down? We are really not too happy about this whole situation. When we got the van last year we got a 5 year loan.  We figured that we wouldn't even think about replacing the Jetta until that van is paid off (and with soon to be 2 kids in daycare and a 1.9% interest rate on the van, we probably won't be paying it off early). Now we are going to have to get rid of the Jetta earlier than expected and go against our plan.  So while I still don't have advice for you on a replacement car, I understand your frustration.

• Options
    I absolutely loved my Pilot and felt it was roomy enough for everyone but I must say taking the plunge and gettin my Sienna this spring was a tough pill to swallow but so worth it. I always said I would never own a minivan but yet here I sit rocking the "Mom-Mobile". I felt the pathfinder was too small when I test drove it and it had zero cargo room with the third row up.  Can't beat the amount of car you get for the $$ with a van. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ansley0319ansley0319 member
    edited August 2016
    I work at a financial institution and find myself forever talking about cars !!! I personally don't see the point in leasing a vehicle at all if you find yourself satisfied with the vehicle. This is a semi quick and sometimes low risk way for dealerships to make money off of people (lots of $ IMO) and still retain a value to a car they can resale (all of this depending on the lessee). 

If I were in your shoes I would stick to Honda, Toyota & Subaru due to personal preference and it sounds like you have done your research on the Honda and Subaru front.. Have you checked out any Toyota vehicles? I personally love the new 4runners but can guess based off of what you said about the Pilot that that would be way too big ! With that being said, why not a Rav 4? They are much more aesthetically pleasing than they used to be and are a nice medium size vehicle- with the third row (on the older models or only 2 rows in the newer ones & furthermore more cargo space- idk if 3 car seats will fit that way) though they don't have very much cargo space in the models w 3 rows. Unfortunately with medium sized vehicles its either that or a significantly larger vehicle like the 4runner.

This is all my opinion and one other thing based off of experience is Carvana. I really have been so surprised with how well they function as a business and their customer service is great. What really is better than having a car delivered to you that you can still return for 7 days and drive up to 400 miles? :wink:

ETA: Acura RDX (so nice!) & Toyota Highlander (kind of remind me of mini-vans but still may do what you need)
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Agree with PP, I personally would buy unless you truly like driving the newest and greatest, and like the ease of leasing a new car. Many friends do this, and they always have a really nice car to drive. I think this is truly a personal decision for you.

I drive a Subaru Forester, and both MILs drive an Outback. I originally wanted an Outback, but they are more expensive than a Forester, both new and used, so I have a Forester but I really love it. For me, the AWD was the main selling feature, and I will continue to drive a Subaru as long as I can because of this. I had a bad hydro-plane accident 9-10 years ago, and my Subaru helps me feel confident in the rain.

My husband just got a 2016 Ford Explorer. We looked at the Pilot, the Traverse, Rav4, Highlander...a couple of others but these were the main contenders. We ended up with a Ford Explorer because they offer great incentives to move them off the lot, and we ended up saving maybe 20% off of MRSP? I have heard this will continue as they try to clear space for 2017 models, and I'm sure this carries over to other cars. This was end of June. I loved the Pilot, new 2016 redesign, but they are in high demand right now and hard to get and $$$ because of it. The Honda dealership we went to was honest and said "you will not see incentives for the Pilot this year", and I haven't yet.

Good luck!!!!

Edited - forgot the carseat bit - my mom regularly has two carseats in the back of her Outback and can fit 3 if needed. All are RF, I don't know the model but can ask if you want to know.

• Options
    We have an Acura MDX, three rows, easy to load, HUGE trunk when 3rd row is down and decent-ish when 3rd row is up. Can split 3rd row. Can split 2nd row. Ours is used 2005 we bought this January and my hubby is good with cars and fixed the little issues it had like needing new brakes, etc. 

we have three teens (who are adult sized) plus our new little one and fits everyone pretty comfortably. 

Agree w above that the RDX is also really nice. Acura is just a Honda with different interior features 
  • Options
    Thank you for this thread!! DH is due for a new car soon and I'll be following this. Our new mid-size sedan (Acura TLX) has gotten tight with LO's arrival!...I couldn't imagine putting another kiddo in the vehicle in a few years.
  • Options
    I would search the forums at www.car-seat.org and see what they have to say about the three seats wide for each of the vehicles you are considering.  
  • Options
    RG1RG1 member
    The quick and dirty, short and simple recommendation from me would be Rav4 (if you like it and car seats fit) and buy, not lease. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We have an explorer and I would not recommend it.  There is no safe way to install a car seat in the middle second row seat, which makes the whole thing pretty much useless for more than 2 kids.  I love the car, but it just doesn't have the space a young family needs. 
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• Options
    I have a Toyota Highlander and love it. We are actually planning to upgrade to one of the newer models with 3 rows in the next couple months as mine is a 2003. I would definitely recommend them. 
  • Options
    My girlfriend has a Toyota Highlander and she loves it. It seems pretty roomy to me. I think they are super nice and family friendly. 

I also don't like the big daddy suv's and suburbans. H and I just bought the Infiniti QX60 with the third row. The second row has our three car seats and fit perfectly. The two rear facing seats are on the sides and DD1 is in the middle forward facing. They are three different style car seats too. 

As far as leasing/buying, I'd say buy but I've actually never leased a car before so I don't know the pros and cons. 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • Options
    ashtasht member
    What about GMC Terrain 
  • Options
    We have a Pilot and love it! I thought it was too big at first too...but it drives like a much smaller car. I had no problem transitioning from my Nissan Versa hatchback to the pilot. The second row is still tight with two car seats and a passenger, but it's doable. And the third row is actually pretty comfy. 
  • Options
    Toyota Highlander. Woootttt @AnnaS930- where you at???
  • Options
    A little late to the party but I second @asht I love my GMC terrain. I am pretty sure 3 car seats would fit comfortably and there is still a lot of room for storage in the back. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just bought a CRV which I love but I see won't work for you. Also test drove a Ford Edge and Jeep Cherokee. Might want to check those out. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We have a Mazda CX9.  It fits all three carseats and although the trunk space is a little limited when the rear seat is up, it sounds like that won't really be an issue for you (if you put the neighbor in the back and just fold that seat down when you don't need it).  I love the way it drives and for two kids it's great!

DH needs to upgrade his sedan and we're probably going to go with a minivan, although I'm not thrilled about it.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes that I can find something else. 
  • Options
    RedMar said:
    Toyota Highlander. Woootttt @AnnaS930- where you at???
    Hahaha, you know me so well!  I upgraded from a Subaru Impreza to a Toyota Highlander at the beginning of this year in anticipation of Baby #2 and am OBSESSED. We have the 3rd row, and though we haven't used it yet, it allows for amazing trunk space and love the option (as we'll surely use it in the future with my niece/nephew, etc).

We also have a Rav4, which feels a little tight to me now that I'm used to the Highlander, we haven't yet installed the infant base yet, but I'm thinking a booster would be pretty smooshed in there if possible to get it in (but we might have chunky carseats, certainly didn't buy them based on size).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have the Pathfinder and love it!! Lots of room in the second row and the third row is actually really comfortable, even for 2 adults to sit in. Tons of trunk space with the 3rd row folded down and there is a decent amount of trunk space even with the third row in use. I had never driven an SUV before the Pathfinder and I find it really easy to drive and not large/bulky at all. I would highly recommend it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We spent so much time looking for a new vehicle and thought we'd go with an suv. In the end we decided to go with a stow and go can which is awesome. But we did find that the Dodge Journey with the 3rd row was really nice it might be worth looking at.
  • Options
    Thanks for the leads everyone. I've been leery of American brands in the past, but ill look into some suggested here. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Thanks for the leads everyone. I've been leery of American brands in the past, but ill look into some suggested here. 
    I know isn't it sad? My grandfather would be rolling over in his grave if he knew of the amount of Toyota and Hondas our family owns/owned. He was gung ho Cadillac and Ford (and also fought in WW2). Slowly but surely though, I feel we are stepping up our game in the vehicle dept.
  • Options
    We were going to buy a new vehicle this coming summer because of the fact that we do want to have another child down the road and my vehicle would be tight for two car seats. We were going to go with the Subaru Outback because it does have pretty good passenger space and it has good cargo space. It fits two car seats very well in the back but I'm not sure about 3. However with the cost of just having one child in daycare it is not feasible for us to get a car at this time and since mine is paid off and still running well we're just going to keep mine and save up some money and hopefully get the new car before we decide to have a second child or before second child is here.
  • Options
    For me, a lease doesn't make sense unless you can write it off as s business expense.

i have zero experience with the models you mentioned but I upgraded to a Yukon with 3 rows and I love it. I don't currently use the third row and instead use it as trunk space. 

I don't find it too big and I came from only ever owning Japanese 4 cylinders.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Options
    We drove a highlander today. I thought it would feel just like the pilot. It's ply a few inches shorter, narrower, and closer to the ground, but damn it makes a difference. The third row is a little less roomy, but we're not driving the queen around back there. 

The salesman was so pushy. I had to say "we are not buying a car today. There's nothing that you can say or do to change this fact."
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    AlyeenaAlyeena member
    edited August 2016
    For me, a lease doesn't make sense unless you can write it off as s business expense.

This! 100% this! 

Also my own suggestion would be a Jeep Grand Cherokee. That one can fit 3 car seats in the back row and it is a very nice car.
    It is the one we have and we really like it!
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• Options

i have zero experience with the models you mentioned but I upgraded to a Yukon with 3 rows and I love it. I don't currently use the third row and instead use it as trunk space. 

The only reason we would lease is because we don't plan on driving the car for more than three years. By that time we would definitely want three rows.

If you're planning on having the car for a short period of time, it could depreciate in value in such a way that you could owe more than it's resale value. (Assuming of course that you take out a loan instead of buying the car outright.)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    SuperFudge00SuperFudge00 member
    edited August 2016

The only reason we would lease is because we don't plan on driving the car for more than three years. By that time we would definitely want three rows.

If you're planning on having the car for a short period of time, it could depreciate in value in such a way that you could owe more than it's resale value. (Assuming of course that you take out a loan instead of buying the car outright.)
    The down payment, mileage restrictions, wear and tear and possible damage are all negatives of leasing. I couldn't imagine having to pay to give a car back. 

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Options
    @SuperFudge00 I agree. My first car was a lease and we ended up having to pay some for mileage, hail damage (which was invisible) and every other little thing not still perfect with the car after 5 years. I would never lease again. 
  • Options
    Alyeena said:

This! 100% this! 

Also my own suggestion would be a Jeep Grand Cherokee. That one can fit 3 car seats in the back row and it is a very nice car.
    It is the one we have and we really like it!
    Tried 2 high back boosters and an infant in my Grand Cherokee and it was a no go!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

The down payment, mileage restrictions, wear and tear and possible damage are all negatives of leasing. I couldn't imagine having to pay to give a car back. 
    You can get deals with little to no down payment, and while I agree that mileage restrictions make me anxious, we're not taking any road trips or anything. We're putting around town and making 2-3 400-mile round trips per year. Wear and tear is covered. Possible damage you can pay to fix anywhere like you would your own car, but it remains under warranty for the entire length of the lease.

I feel like leasing gets a bad rap and is dismissed out of hand, but there are situations where it makes sense. And if you buy a car and plan on selling it within three years, and compare your cost to drive the car for that time, if could well work out favorably for a lease.

The payment is half. That's not nothing. 

if you plan on driving the car until the wheels fall off,
    or if you plan on making lengthy car trips, then the choice  to buy is obvious. There's a potential there to pay the car off and drive the car for a time at little cost. 

If you plan on selling the car while you owe on it, you also run the risk of paying to unload it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We drove a highlander today. I thought it would feel just like the pilot. It's ply a few inches shorter, narrower, and closer to the ground, but damn it makes a difference. The third row is a little less roomy, but we're not driving the queen around back there. 

The salesman was so pushy. I had to say "we are not buying a car today. There's nothing that you can say or do to change this fact."
    Do you prefer the Pilot or the Highlander?
  • Options
    frogdog06 said:

Do you prefer the Pilot or the Highlander?
    Highlander by a wide margin.
    Pregnancy Ticker