December 2016 Moms
Options

Birth Stories?

2»

Re: Birth Stories?

• Options
    @maamawaabangi your birth stories are beautiful and make me so frustrated that midwives cannot legally practice in my state. A homebirth has always been my dream. 
    Certified nurse-midwives are legal in all 50 but certified professional midwives (typically the ones that specialize in homebirth) are only legal in 28 states.
    I use a midwife group but to be honest, the care is barely different than an OB and the "birthing center" is essentially a hospital birth. Though I do think they are more open to a mother's natural timeline rather than feeling certain things need to happen on the practice's "normal" birthing schedule. Buuuut... it's what my insurance will pay for so it's a fine compromise.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    @maamawaabangi your birth stories are beautiful and make me so frustrated that midwives cannot legally practice in my state. A homebirth has always been my dream. 
    I share your frustration about that! It is such an infringement of personal rights! It's so wrong! The midwifery model of care has wisdom that standard obstetrics misses at the detriment of women's health and wellness! I could go on, but won't. I just "feel" you! Hugs. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Austenista  Austenista member
    edited August 2016
    @slartybartfast there's not even a birth center near me. It's maddening, honestly, considering we moved here from a state where it was totally legal and doable. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    maamawaabangimaamawaabangi member
    edited August 2016
    Here's my "textbook" 1st birth... On my blog
    42 weeks, 3 hours pushing... good outcomes!
    It was at a midwifery run birth center, and was probably my favorite place to deliver... however home is nice too.

• Options
    @caseyewhitaker, though a planned home birth is not really available/feasible due to legal restrictions on AL, there is 1 CNM (Sheila Lopez, in a practice with OB Jesanna Cooper) with rights to deliver at Princeton Baptist in Birmingham, which is where you're located I think?  Not sure how different the model of care would be, but it might be something to look into.  Also Dr. Johannson/Cheaha Womens in Anniston is supposed to be very supportive of low intervention births as an OB and also has a CNM (Sarah Hellwege, not sure about her privileges).  Numerous people from my area make the drive to the Anniston area to try for VBACs because the doctors here aren't as supportive. 

Just wanted to throw those out there in case you were dissatisfied with your OB experience thus far.  The only reason I've heard about these options is because I belong to our local ICAN FB group - it's predominantly full of women seeking low intervention birth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
  • Options
    @maamawaabangi I am having a lot of fun just reading your blog in general!
  • Options
    <3@smashjam aw! Thanks! 

• Options
    Posting late!!  

I was induced at 37 weeks. It was early but according to ultra sounds my baby was at least 7 pounds at 32 weeks and to avoid a c-section my doctor induced. I went in at midnight to start the pill under my tongue. 7am the Dr. came to check and I was 100 percent effaced but only dilated to a 3. He broke my water then. Starting what felt like immediately I got contractions right on top of each other. I couldn't get out of bed at all. I held out until about 11 when I said nope, I need an epidural. Labor was pretty easy and fast then and he was born at 1:20.  He was 8 lbs 10 oz and after he came out the doctor said, "oh we should have done a c section." His head was over 16 inched and I tore all the way up to my cervix. Healing was no fun. 

This was 10 years ago so it seems like an eternity.. I know mine was easy compared to most of you ladies and I love reading your stories and hearing how strong you all were!! I am actually scared to see how my labor goes for baby number 2!! I am thinking I just go lucky the first time and this time will be way worse!