November 2016 Moms
Options

What are you doing for grandma's house?

Up till now, I've been thinking about baby supplies for our place. 

But then my mom asked me what kind of crib I want for her place - and it hit me - I'm going to need a set of things at grandma and nanna's houses or I'm going to lug it around on a plane....

so what are y'all doing? 

Right now now we have real cribs and swing and halo bassinet etc for our place; I'm thinking graco pnp and bath tub for grandma's house, and then lotus or baby bjorn travel crib and some portable baby tub for nanna's place (which hopefully we don't have to visit too frequently cuz I prefer my parents' house over the in-laws). 

Or or maybe I need to get a pnp for both grandma and Nana's house and so less luggage to carry around? Or maybe I should just get real cribs for all these places for baby to grow into? 
And then multiples of high chairs, bouncers etc when baby gets older...gosh darn it, never occurred to me before that I need multiple sets 

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Options
    @kvruns my parents are like 5 hours driving or train away from us or a quick plane ride 
    they might come visit frequently but I'd prob go back for holidays like Easter thanksgiving Labor Day weekend etc etc 

My in laws are def a plane ride away and I hope we don't have to make that trek more than twice a year, once would be super 

visitng infrequently = don't need a second set
    but visitng infrequently also means staying longer each time -> so lots more to schlep around if u don't keep an extra there...

• Options
    My mom will be taking care of baby when I return to work so I plan on having a Pack N Play at her house for sure. She will get a car seat base, high chair and a bouncer at minimum. Not sure yet if we plan on sharing the stroller or purchasing one for her to use that uses the same base. I will check with my sister to see what she did with her LO's. 

We both agree baby will not have extended stays at MIL's. And we don't see a need to equip her household with anything we will not already be toting around. 

It is a legitimate concern and something to think about for sure. On the registry thread I mentioned I registered for same items at multiple stores because I do not mind getting 2 of something that we can use at Nana's.

Me: 28 <3 DH: 29

#1 DS: 11/24/2016

#2 EDD: 11/15/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    my MIL lives in the same town and she already has a crib from previous grandbabies (that was actually my parents from my nephew) + a crap ton of toys, supplies etc.  She will get a base that matches our carrier so we can just transfer baby into her car if necessary (she did this with her other grandbabies too).   

My parents live about 2 hours from us.  They bought a pack n play and will have things at their house for when we visit.  Friends have given hand me downs, etc so anything "extra" I get will go to either my parents or MIL to use.  I recommended they get the base for the carseat for easy transfers as well, but that is up to them. 

I feel like if they want things at their place they will buy what they want/need.   

• Options
    We were visiting parents and ILs once a year each until we stopped flying for a while due to DD's peanut allergy. My parents have a booster seat (fisher price healthy care deluxe booster, $25ish) at their house, a few toys, and a few books but that's basically it. ILs have a PNP and a high chair my SIL got for them.

We bedshare with babies so I wasn't worried about sleeping arrangements, but I wouldn't buy anything expensive. Either have them buy (or borrow) a basic PNP/travel crib or you can bring one with you. Car seats you'll want on the plane or you can check for free. Strollers also check for free generally -- usually I do without but when I know we'll be walking a lot I've gate checked ours. 

All travel stuff is a tradeoff of money/annoyance factor. I find it annoying to hold a child on my lap while they're eating and the booster seat lasts from 6 months to 2ish years, so that was worth it for me to buy for my parents, even for maybe a month total of use.
  • Options
    Our parents live cross country and we go to each ~2X per year. They each have a basic pack and play (like $50 at Walmart), a $15 booster seat, a convertible car seat ($100 Britax Roundabout) and a few toys/books at each house. All are things that can be used for smaller babies through the toddler years for multiple grandchildren. I wouldn't invest in anything that can only be used for a newborn (bouncer and portable tub) if you'll only go a couple of times a year. Babies don't even use bouncers once they can sit up (6-7 months) so they may only get one use out of it. Once they outgrow the pack and play they'll likely be in a toddler bed anyways so you can have then sleep on the ground (we just make a bed of comforters or camping mat) so you wouldn't need a real crib. 
  • Options
    My parents, who live 20 minutes away, bought a few things they thought would make it easier when DD was over there. They got a PNP (from once upon a child) and a three inch foam mattress for it. The mattress was seriously a really good idea as it's a lot more comfy when spending the night. They also got a high chair that just connects to one of their chairs, so it doesn't take up anymore space. They also have a few toys and books. We received so many blankets, that I gave them a few to keep there. 
  • Options
    We have nothing at any of our parents houses. They are all far away and I've always just brought what we need or made due without for our visit. 

I guess "nothing" isn't totally true: My dad happened upon a new car seat prior to one of our visits, and so he has a convertible car seat at his house, but had he not had that, I would have had no issues with lugging ours through the airport like I did for my trips prior. 

I agree with PP, if you will visit regularly or have them doing childcare, it's probably wise to invest in a portable crib (PNP) and a few other pieces that make life easier (high chair, bounces, stroller if applicable), otherwise, I'd save your $ and just bring what you need when the time comes.

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Nothing. DD doesn't go without me or my fiance... So we just bring whatever we may need when we visit. 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Options
    My parents live 10 min away and are turning my childhood bedroom into a nursery. They're buying their own stuff, and I know they'll get a high chair, either crib or pack n play, and whatever else they need. My mom will have a car seat base in her car which we'll buy for her as she will be watching the baby once a week. SO's dad's house has a bassinet but other than that we'll just bring what we need (pack n play, booster seat) as we wouldn't be spending more than a few hours there at a time. SO's mom lives out of state and we'll figure that out when the time comes as we'll fly out there once or twice a year, but she'll visit most of the time so if we bought or brought anything there it would be minimal.