August 2016 Moms
Options

PP Fitness

Re: PP Fitness

• Options
    If it makes anyone feel a little more reassured, I can still fit into my pp pants, and this was my second. I do think I have wide hips naturally for my figure (I wear a 6 pant) so maybe they didn't have to move much. I definitely need to work on my belly with exercise before I wear the pants with a tight top though lol 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm also choosing to ignore and am going to will them back to normal. This has to happen!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @LWC1112 I thought I would do that with my first, and figured I could get by without working out since I walk a lot at work and was breastfeeding...definitely held on to my pregnancy weight for a year and a half last time. I did have to purchase new pants last time because I needed a size 12. Ive approached this pregnancy and postpartum much differently! 
  • Options
    @huskymama725 I imagine I will hold on to the last 5 pounds like last time because of breastfeeding. But I do workout six days a week normally and am anxious to get back at it. I'm fine with keeping the five extra pounds as long as my clothes fit comfortably. Now I just need someone to come and remove the sour patch kids from my home!

@bookhousegirl My hips are down half an inch from starting to wear this thing religiously at night since Monday. Whether that is just post partum normal movement or actually related to the band, I don't know. But I'm keeping it on as much as I can throughout the day now too.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @LWC1112 wow that's amazing! Is it uncomfortable? 

• Options
    @Bookhousegirl I don't think so. I can sleep in it and I'm a pretty bad sleeper (like anything out of the ordinary, any noise, etc and I can't sleep). It is sort of bulky but all of my pjs fit over it fine. And I've been wearing it under my workout shorts during the day.  
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    With DS1 I was back down to pp weight by 2/3 months but my hips were wider. I worked out and by 1 year pp they were actually smaller than pre-baby. 
  • Options
    Weighed today for the first time (9 days pp). I'm down about 20 lbs but holy back fat! I was in great shape before pregnancy and even though I worked out throughout I still got flabby in my back.  I'm definitely starting some upper body stuff ASAP! I have about 24 more lbs to go.  Tightening up my nutrition and going back to eating paleo if I can keep my supply up.  This is going to be harder than I thought getting back to routine.  

Oh and the whole hip widening thing.... Great!  I've already got big hips! This should be fun :) 
  • Options
    I think most of the fluid is off now.  I lost 30lbs in two weeks.  That is ridiculous and cannot be healthy.  I am about 16 lbs above prepregnancy weight, but I feel like that is not a realistic goal with all the nursing and my shape.  I was running five miles a day and doing other exercise in order to get to that weight.  I think a better goal is to lose 10lbs and start from there.  I walked every day this week and feel better.  I'll increase intensity this week.
  • Options
    Due to improper healing for me and an extra stitch, I got pushed back two weeks from strenuous activity and sex, and I am super bummed.  I had hoped to start jogging this week after the pp visit.  Jealous of those of you that can exercise, so enjoy it doubly for those of us that aren't there yet!!
  • Options
    DDRRT1982 said:
    I think most of the fluid is off now.  I lost 30lbs in two weeks.  That is ridiculous and cannot be healthy.  I am about 16 lbs above prepregnancy weight, but I feel like that is not a realistic goal with all the nursing and my shape.  I was running five miles a day and doing other exercise in order to get to that weight.  I think a better goal is to lose 10lbs and start from there.  I walked every day this week and feel better.  I'll increase intensity this week.
    I'm 3.5 weeks out and have shed 30 lbs, and haven't don't a thing but pump, walk around the house, and snack reasonably healthy all the time. A lot of that lost weight must be from losing the swelling--I'm nowhere near as puffy. I have 20 lbs to go, and can't wait to be able to start walking again. Having a c-section, sciatic nerve pain that won't quit, and the unexpected D&C procedure last weekend has slowed that down though. I'm planning to start walking again, and hopefully running before too long, tomorrow. At 6 weeks PP, I'll start tracking calories. Pumping/trying to breastfeed has me needing to eat every time I pump or feed or else I feel nauseous, just like pregnancy had me eating frequently  I'm avoid nausea, so it is what it is. Hoping to get back to pre-pregnancy weight before too long, but not pressuring myself too much... Just want to feel healthy!
  • Options
    I have my 5 weeks post baby appointment on Monday, and I'm excited to get the 'all clear' for sex and exercise. Has anyone else thought about using weight watchers to help lose weight?  They have a setting for breastfeeding, so I thought it might be a good app to use. I'm worried about cutting too many calories and losing my supply.  I have 10 lbs to go and it would be nice to lose by the time I go back to work in mid Oct (I totally realize this is a dream). With DS it took me about 9 months to lose all the weight, so it could be a long journey.
  • Options
    @KMeredith82. Ice cream was my go to during my pregnancy. We bought 2 half gallons right after DS was born. I said once those are gone... No more!! 

I need to to start tracking on my fitness pal too. Just keep forgetting daily. 
    34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • Options
    I just took the dachshund on a 10 min walk--second walk since the day before my c-section, and 1st walk since my surprise followup surgery last weekend. The dog is annoyed that walks are returning to his life, but I am proud of my hobble up and down the street. It's not my incision that hurts, but this damn sciatic nerve pain. But, I made it, so I'm going to call it a win.
  • Options
    LWC1112 said:
    I miss running so much. I ran until the day I went into labor; it is such a stress release for me and clears my mind. It just sucks that when I really need it, I'm not able to do it. Sorry, no point to this post really. Just having a particularly rough day with hormones and miss my hobby.
    Hope you can get back to it soon!! I ran pre-pregnancy but had to switch to walking after a nauseous first trimester left me feeling like death when I tried to run again about 18 weeks. I am nowhere close to being able to go for a run today but sure do miss it too.
  • Options
    Just throwing this out there as an FYI to FTMs - you can't run with the baby in a jogging stroller until they are a year old. They have to develop their bones more (same reason for car seat rules). 
  • Options
    Curls919 said:
    Just throwing this out there as an FYI to FTMs - you can't run with the baby in a jogging stroller until they are a year old. They have to develop their bones more (same reason for car seat rules). 
    Can't you attach the infant carrier to the jogging stroller? 
  • Options
    Curls919 said:
    I just did a quick Google search and it looks like you can run with them closer to 6 months. But you're supposed to wait for them to have good neck strength. You're not supposed to run with them in an infant seat. 
  • Options
    @huskymama725 @Curls919 Thank you!!  I had no idea!!  I really might destroy this baby on accident!!
  • Options
    Curls919 said:
    Curls919 said:
    I just did a quick Google search and it looks like you can run with them closer to 6 months. But you're supposed to wait for them to have good neck strength. You're not supposed to run with them in an infant seat. 
    Yes, our pedi said 6 months was ok, but not before that. 

• Options
    LWC1112 said:
    I miss running so much. I ran until the day I went into labor; it is such a stress release for me and clears my mind. It just sucks that when I really need it, I'm not able to do it. Sorry, no point to this post really. Just having a particularly rough day with hormones and miss my hobby.
    I get it, I am the same way with running and/or swimming.  I miss them both so much, especially since I know they woukd do wonders for my mental sanity right now.

I signed up for an 8K on Thanksgiving morning, and I'm trying to decide if that is over ambitious.  They do allow walking and strollers, though!
    Where?  I do the turkey trot in Dallas which is an 8K.  My goal is to do it again this year.
  • Options
    @DDRRT1982 North Carolina. :( I do wish that I had someone to train with, though!  Good luck!  Right now I am just walking.  I'm so glad that they allow walking in the race.

Also, after some great advice from TB ladies, I will not be pushing the baby in the stroller.  Maybe next year!
  • Options
    @cal031686 I did the same after my afternoon walk. I just feel hungry all the time though with the amount this kid eats. I wouldn't be surprised if I've reached the end of my weight loss with just the post partum changes and now I'm going to have to really work to lose the last 7 pounds. This will be difficult with my ridiculous appetite though.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    5 days PP and I'm ready to run again... Except I know I'm not and I won't even attempt it. Going to shoot for taking the kids outside later this afternoon for a short walk. I ran up until my due date and I didn't really have time my last couple pregnant days. I have a wedding in less than a month, I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping to lose most of my weight by then... I have a major oversupply and a toddler sized baby with a major appetite so maybe I can eek out a few more pounds. I have no idea where I am at the moment besides that I lost 10 lbs of baby and an excessive amount of fluid and I'm not longer puffy...
  • Options
    @DDRRT1982 North Carolina. :( I do wish that I had someone to train with, though!  Good luck!  Right now I am just walking.  I'm so glad that they allow walking in the race.

Also, after some great advice from TB ladies, I will not be pushing the baby in the stroller.  Maybe next year!
    I find jogging with a stroller to be a bazillion times harder, so it's best you go solo anyways.  I even have a BOB and it's still a pain in the butt to jog pushing it.  I pretty much just use my jogging stroller for walking now.  I only run by myself.  (Obviously I haven't done any running yet, but this is all from previous experience.)
  • Options
    Does Zumba on wii count as cardio? It's the next best thing w baby for me!
  • Options
    @texasmama2014 I feel every bit of what you said. I ran the day I went into labor. Would have gone a little further if I actually thought I was going to deliver then.

This could be a FFFC but I tried to run a little bit yesterday just to see what it would feel like. Not good. I'm 11 days pp and have had a huge decrease in bleeding, but things still are not ready. I didn't try for more than two minutes but just in that time I could tell it was a bad idea. I slowed it down to a walk and made myself stick to it. 

@alikay20 definitely counts!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Curls919 said:
    Curls919 said:
    Yikes! Well I'm glad DH didn't crash on Sunday!! He didn't get too far, and it was on a flat even path at our neighborhoods park, but he definitely chased DD1 on her bike with LO. 
  • Options
    I did 3 sets of 10 regular squats, narrow squats, lunges, leg raises, and side raises yesterday, all body weight.  I figured I'm going to the OB next week and will get a head start for when I get cleared. 

I would not have guessed that when I woke up this morning, I would be so sore! 
    34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • Options
    is everyone waiting until they're cleared to start working out?  I'm about 2.5 weeks pp and besides being tired I feel awesome and want to do more than walk.  I thought about getting on the rower tomorrow and doing some upper body dumbbell presses.  Seems harmless.  I see my OB at 4 weeks PP.  
  • Options
    squishy0511squishy0511 member
    edited September 2016
    @ShawnaLynn83 I am waiting. I've read that going back too soon can cause issues with your pelvic floor even if feeling good so that scared me! I don't see how doing upper body work could hurt but I figure I'll just wait. I'm too darn tired anyway haha
  • Options
    @shawnalynn83 I started doing small stuff. I've done a few upper body workouts. Today I did a fast walk/light jog and a series of pelvic floor exercises. So far so good.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    is everyone waiting until they're cleared to start working out?  I'm about 2.5 weeks pp and besides being tired I feel awesome and want to do more than walk.  I thought about getting on the rower tomorrow and doing some upper body dumbbell presses.  Seems harmless.  I see my OB at 4 weeks PP.  
    I was going to ask this too. I'm also 2.5 weeks pp and I want to start some light upper body workouts, nothing too intense just want to get a JumpStart on things. I know were not supposed to be harsh on ourselves but when I get out the shower, I'm just like girl you can do so much better
  • Options
    Right there with you @MrsEWilson. Cue leg lifts and very slow air squats ever time I shower...
  • Options
    I have been walking everyday for a couple weeks. Doing hills and stuff.  I feel great, but am waiting because I am still bleeding.  I think modt things like rowing and stationary bike that don't have an impact should be ok.  I would totally do those if they were available.