January 2017 Moms
Options

Navy wife

Hartman mommyHartman mommy member
edited August 2016 in January 2017 Moms
I just found out yesterday that I'm be having our baby by myself while he is away in navy and I really wanted him to be here with me and cut the umbilical cord and to see our daughter be born but he not going to be here for none of it I've been having a lot of anxiety lately and I know when he comes back our daughter will be 4 months

Re: Navy wife

• Options
    So sorry you're dealing with this! It's hard to have to change our expectations of how our pregnancy/delivery/early days with baby will go. Is there anyone you could take with you to appointments and especially to your delivery to be your support person? Maybe your mom or a sister or close friend? If not, maybe consider hiring a doula or using a student doula if the cost is too high so that you don't feel so alone. 
  • Options
    amaren-2amaren-2 member
    edited August 2016
    Sorry you are having to deal with that! I'm a Navy wife too so I know how much deployments can suck.  I worry about H being called out all the time. Are you giving birth at a Naval hospital? They are normally more equipped to handle these situations. The naval hospital near us actually does video calls and makes sure the sailor is involved with the birth. Some hospitals also have support groups for people in your situation. 

If you are giving birth in a civilian hospital, you still might be able to work out a video call or something.

I would also second having a close friend or family member there.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sending my feelings and thoughts to you! I'm an Army wife and know all too well how deployments can cause a havoc in my life. Surround yourself with family if you can and document all the small and major milestones throughout pregnancy, birth, and newborn phase. Wishing you the best. 
  • Options
    I am not in your shoes, but that sounds like a tough spot.  I agree with PP on gathering close friends or family around you so you don't feel alone in this process.
    I also wanted to thank you (and the other posters) for your DH and your family's sacrifice for us!!  It is so appreciated and recognized.
  • Options
    Sending creepy internet hugs because I completely understand how you feel. I'm an Air Force wife and DH was set to deploy in August and he was only going to be here for his midtour in January. So I was going to be alone for the 4-5 months after he went back, with a one year old too. Luckily for us, the orders dropped but still had to go through planning for the worst and that was terrifying. 
    Hope everything goes better than you expect though, and try not to think about it too much (easier said than done) and just focus on remembering all the wonderful little moments while they last
  • Options
    Oh my goodness!! I am so sorry, I can't imagine... Do you have close family that can be there with you and help you the first month?

And I know this might sound really weird... Can he skype frequently? If so maybe during labor a family member can hold a phone/table for him to skype so he can still experience it with you?

And thank you and your husband! I know several army and navy families, I realize it is not easy at all.
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker