TTC after 35

Yeast infection and TTC?

So I think I might have a yeast infection :( I have never had one before and am wondering how this will affect TTC this month? Will we have to skip this month? Or can it be cleared up super fast? Do I need to see a dr or just buy something over the counter? Sorry if these questions seem so dumb but I feel totally clueless! It's CD 6 for me so maybe there's time to get it resolved??? UGH!!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Yeast infection and TTC?

• I had a yeast infection the same time of the month as you, I was so worried we would have to skip that month.  I have had them a few times in my life and they always cleared up with monistat, but it's very unpleasant to use. I used the monistat one day dose and it did clear up within several days, but it made us miss a couple days of BD.  A month later I kept feeling like it was cropping back up so I contacted my RE and they offered for me to go in and test to see if it was a yeast infection.  She took a swab...didn’t even have to use a speculum. She put it on a slide and confirmed she saw some yeast cells.  She prescribed me Diflucan and it is just one single dose pill.  No messy creams!  I haven't had any issues since. My RE told me as long as the symptoms cleared up we could proceed with BD.  I think there isn't too much impeding you from ttc with a yeast infection,  other than the fact that you may not want any action down there until it is feeling better. 

I will never use monistat again!  I will go to the Obgyn and get that pill. I suggest you call and get checked out.  Good luck!
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • Thank you! I debated about running out to the store tonight but I think I'll just call in the morning instead. Glad to hear it shouldn't affect things too much hopefully! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Good luck and hope it clears up quickly.
    ***TW***
    Me: 36  DH:35
    Married: 7/10/2016
    TTC#1 - May 2016
    BFP 9/6/2016 - Missed MC 10/20/2016  
    BFP 5/5/2017  - CP
    IVF #1 - June 2017  - Transferred 1 fresh 4 AA embryo.  7/9 Beta #1 - 161 
    <3 Adam <3 Born on 3/18/18

• Yeast infections and BV definitely do not hinder conception...I can't tell you how many patients I see each week with both who are newly pregnant. Coincidentally, heroin and meth use also don't seem to hurt many womens rates of conception.....although none of these issues are good to have while pregnant, so I'd recommend a swab to make sure it's yeast and not BV. 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Diflucan is amazing for a no-mess solution so I hope you were able to get some from your doctor. I've also had good luck with the Monistat three-day treatment, but not the one-day. I'm not a doctor so I don't know how yeast would affect the sperm's ability to swim, or your CM. I just know it's uncomfortable to have sex with a yeast infection. I also once passed on a yeast infection to my then-boyfriend when I was treating it but not completely cleared up and he had a hell of a time getting rid of it.

and @PoeMasque I don't know if you intended to be funny with the heroin and meth sentence, but I chuckled to myself quietly. Because I have to laugh at the absurdity at it all!
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Sorry, I'm just seeing this now.  I get yeast infections rather frequently and Monistat actually makes the symptoms worse for me (I feel like my lady parts are on fire).  Diflucan saves the day.  If you are suffering from a yeast infection during peak I would use a TTC friendly lube (preseed) and do your best.  I'm sorry this clears up for you soon.  They are the worst!
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• Thanks everyone! Although I was kind of hoping to go in, the nurse diagnosed it over the phone and called in the diflucan for me. She also confirmed that it does not affect TTC at all; other than obviously if you are too uncomfortable.  Thanks again for all your helpful input!!!
  • @eggplantface yes! It was supposed to be humor, although laced with exasperation (seriously, 80lb, 40 year old, meth users are getting pregnant and I'm not?!). 

For anyone who gets chronic yeast infections I recommend plain yogurt (no greek yogurt, no flavors, looking for the least amount of surface possible). A little dab up there before bed, put a panty liner on, and shower it off in the morning. Works way better than Monistat and the cold feels great down there! 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ladies, for anyone taking diflucan make sure you also supplement with a good probiotic.  I typically develop a YI every single time I take a prescription medication.  My first clomid round caused the same. I decided to go to a natural food store and buy the really expensive probiotics specifically for my lady parts and I have had zero issues since.  Amazing! And I am on several meds currently with no issues.
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion