September 2015 Moms
Options

Questions regarding IUDs (sorry if tmi)

I got an IUD put in in January. Only a 3 year one because we want to have our second within three years. I'm just wondering if anyone has some guidance.

My first two periods with my IUD SUCKED. Cramping, being sick, headaches etc. But since then I've only had one real period (out of the blue months after the first two and on the weekend of my cousins huge wedding!) and once a month I get a little spotting. Is this normal? Or should I be worried? 

Re: Questions regarding IUDs (sorry if tmi)

• Options
    I had a 33 day period. IUD's suck 
  • Options
    When i had DD (almost 6 years ago) i got the mirena & i only had my period 2-3 times a year for a day or 2 but wasnt really a period period it was more like spotting. I had the 5 year one & it was heaven. No cramping no heavy bleeding. Before DD I used to get mine every month for 7-12 days with heavy cramping the whole time i was on it. So going from that to spotting twice a year was heaven to me.

When i got my IUD taken out i got pregnant right away with my boys. Got it taken out, the next day started my 9 day period & 2.5 weeks later i was pregnant. I say no worriesbl, but if u feel concerned call the nurse line or go see your doc. But personally i dont think u should worry.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It depends on your body and the IUD you are using. The non-hormonal copper ones (ParaGaurd) have a reputation for making your period feel more intense. The hormonal ones (Mirena, Liletta, Skyla), on the other hand, tend to make the periods lighter or cause them to go away altogether. I have Skyla, which is hormonal but the hormone levels are lower than Mirena or Liletta. Immediately after I had it put in I cramped and spotted for a couple weeks. Other than that it hasn't impacted my cycle at all. I have a friend who was on Mirena and didn't have an actual period for 8 years - just the occasional light spotting. She had it removed in June and is already pregnant.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Options
    I had the copper IUD and hated it. My periods were very frequent and heavy. I had it for a year and had it removed. 
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feed back ladies! I'm also glad to hear it won't take me long to get pregnant (I hope) once I get it taken out! I'm enjoying not having periods and I don't mind the spotting at all. My last period I didn't have the cramps and wasn't sick it was just random as I had not had a period in four months. I'm glad what I'm experiencing is normal!
  • Options
    I have paraguard, and I have a pretty normal period except that it's a bit heavier the first two days or so. Doesn't last more than 5 though. I think the realty bad stories get heard a lot but they are more rare. 
  • Options
    I'm on my third Mirena and I would never go back to any other form of birth control. I've had a regular period every month with each one. It is a little lighter than before I had the Mirena, but it's a normal schedule. I've know. People whose periods stopped all together and they had no problem getting pregnant after removal. I had mine removed on 12/18 when we were TTC and I was pregnant by 1/12
  • Options
    I had Mirena for ten years (2 total) before I decided to get pregnant.  Got it out and got pregnant 7 months later, I was 39.  I got another one in now.  I don't get my monthly gift.,.so yes, I've had 7 periods in 11 years.  I love it!  
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I had Mirena and it made me crazy (stupid hormones) so I switched to paragard. I got pregnant within 3 months because it came out of place and I couldn't tell. I'm back on it and it seems to be working just fine this time...
    However my periods are super heavy and last around 10 days. It's only heavy 2 of the days but that's a long time to have a period! They were 10 days on Mirena as well but light enough that I only needed light tampons or even just a panty liner. Pros and cons to both, but it's pretty normal to see changes in your period in the first few months.