April 2017 Moms

Pregnancy snacks

So they say to help with nausea you should eat small meals throughout the day. Does anyone have any good pregnancy snack ideas (preferably ones that are not just carb fests)? I'm going to pack an apple and peanut butter today, but I'm not thinking of any others. 
DD #1: April 2017
DD #2: May 2020
Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

Re: Pregnancy snacks

• String cheese, any type of nut or nut butter and fruit, salami-cheese roll ups (depending on how comfortable you are eating deli meat while pregnant)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I keep stalking your threads! I eat peanut butter, peaches, and scoops of chicken salad. Don't know why, but those are what have been saving me this last week!
  • Loading the player...
  • Smashed avocado on toast with a crack of sea salt
  • String cheese is a good one and peanut butter on saltines. I'm also snacking on Honey Nut Cheerios to keep the nausea at bay.
    Me: 23 | DH: 27
    Married: 10.11.15
    MC #1: June 2014
    MC #2: December 2015
    APS Diagnosis: February 2016
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • Yesterday I snacked on veggies and ranch dip and cottage cheese. Usually I love salty crunchy snacks but luckily I'm not craving those too bad right now!
  • I'm keeping string cheese, grapes, and those little 100 calorie pouches of nuts around.  Also Stonyfield yogurt tubes, which I keep in the freezer.  It's like a healthy ice cream push pop and the cold feels so soothing, plus its the perfect portion size.
  • I should pick up some string cheese next time I'm at the store. I'm not a huge fan of nuts, but I do like peanuts (and candied pecans, but I don't think they quite qualify as a health snack...)
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Bananas! You're going to need the potassium.
  • I'm a big fan of snacks that I can just toss in my purse and have with me.  A favorite lately is a couple graham crackers with the to-go peanut butter.  Easy and hits the sweet tooth just a little! Other than that, I always have granola bars with me for a just in case situation. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Grapes! The sweetness of them have been a lifesaver for me!!!

And goldfish crackers...the salt helps settle my stomach
  • My non carb go to snacks are 
    hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, mixed nuts, string cheese, hummus
  • x4 on the PB + crackers.  I'm also doing well with a tangy yogurt (like lemon or lime).  Although, I totally craved (and caved) on tortilla chips last night, so there's that... 
  • String cheese for sure, I also like to get the fairlife chocolate milk. it's high in protein and oh so delish. Nuts, banana, and what is really good right now is plain yogurt. that slightly sour taste with no other flavors is really helping me. I also like to munch on home made popcorn. And well pickles LOL. So what I actually want right now is pickles rolled in ham and cream cheese! hmmmm

•  I am really struggling not to eat everything all the time. I'm used to eating small meals during the day and having a big dinner so at least once a day I could feel FULL. Now I feel like I'm starving every 2 hours and if I dont eat I start to feel sick, but I feel like if I eat every time I'm hungry there is no way I can keep my weight under control. It has taken me years to lose 40lbs, with one baby right in the middle of that. Potentially gaining unnecessary weight freaks me out.

So I was rushing and getting desperate this morning looking through our snack shelf. I came across my son's fruit and veggies pouches! The pouch made me feel better and was only 60 calories. I may have to find them in bulk. And fight my son for them. I feel like I can have several a day without feeling too guilty.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @STM2017 Cold red grapes are the only way I survived my pregnancy last year!  So far no issues but I loved nuts as well last time.
  • I agree with the string cheese. I also have been snacking on hard boiled eggs, carrots with hummus, and air popped Popcorn.
  • I am not so bad yet. But last time the horrible, horrible non-stop morning sickness started at 6 weeks. The only way I barely got through the day was with ritz crackers, yogurt or a yogurt smoothie of some kind and eventually I just got some of that nutritious milk stuff because I literally could not eat anything for about a week. It was so bad. I was doing my social work internship and was doing supervised visitations that would last 1 or 2 hours and it was literally against the law to leave. So, if I needed to puke, I would have had to just pull over the garbage pail and throw up right there. Never did throw up, but came pretty close a couple times. 

Also... green smoothies with ginger... the only way I got through my college classes. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrsstuessy Ginger, spinach, frozen fruit, and coconut water smoothies are all I can choke down in the mornings.  I'm just mad that I can't take my blender to work.
  • Grapes are my friend, too! I wash up a big bag of them and keep them in the fridge on a plate. They're great for "drive by" snacking. Cheese and crackers are also a go-to snack for me but I'm beginning to wonder if the dairy is exacerbating my bloat. @housewifehobbyist I would take the blender to work! Or get a cheap one to leave there for anyone to use? I'm a weirdo though. I once took my popcorn maker out to my (outdoor) laundry room to avoid waking DS. Nothing gets in my way!
  • @housewifehobbyist
    While I'm assuming you can't take a full size blender to work, can you take one of those hand-held immersion blenders?  They're much quieter and compact.

Alternately, if you have an office manager and a kitchen, they may be open to getting a blender for office use.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 28 & Partner: 32 | Married 2014
    BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11
  • Morning sickness hasn't really kicked in for me (aside from the occasional gag when trying to swallow my morning yogurt), but I am for some reason absolutely obsessed with goldfish crackers. Literally bringing a baggie to work every day. I am cringing with all of that salt that I am consuming, but maybe that will help ward off the MS? Either way can't stop won't stop.
  • @housewifehobbyist I think they have little blenders now that maybe you could take to work! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @housewifehobbyist I second @TheJerilu's suggestion of a handheld immersion blender, mine actually came with a cup/attachment for blending drinks. I'm pretty sure I got it at Kohl's, which can be a good place to find stuff like that on super sale.

This is not carb free, but I'm currently obsessed with oyster crackers. Hopping on that sodium train with you, @Mrs.Shoe. Also, really cold coconut water. Which isn't a snack, but seems more filling than just water sometimes. 
  • Thanks @TheJerilu and @Amdogger82 I'll look into those!  We have one of those hip open millennial offices (which I hate because no privacy) so I don't want something too loud, but even if I could blend up the ginger and spinach in my Ninja at home and throw in some frozen fruit at the office it would help.  

Also I work out of our restaurant two days a week and all I want is our Chef to make me the chia citrus bowl and avocado toast. I must seem perpetually hung over.  
  • I'm into all things protein and fruit right now. Hard boiled eggs, tuna, string cheese, cottage cheese, etc. Peaches are my number one craving right now.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @runningpenguin that's me right now to a T
  • All I've been able to stomach today are saltines. Does that count as a pregnancy snack??  :s
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am loving plums right now. And Pluots. So gooood. And anything with hot sauce.

But I am also on the string cheese and almonds train for snacks. 

I think it does @cookies754
  • Cheddar cheese and Gatorade, that's pretty much it for me today.
    EDD 4/15/17
    BabyFruit Ticker