August 2016 Moms
Options

Mommies going from 1 to 2 or more little ones adjustment..

How are things adjusting for you? 

We have DS1 who will be 5 this Friday and he is doing really great. Very helpful and loving. Although he did start school last Monday and brought a bug home for all of us  :# other than that I am really proud of him.

DS2 who is 17 months is very curious of his new little sister. We think he is doing very well. There are times he'll get upset or seem like he just wants to play with her but of course she is nursing or sleeping. So working on that. I try to lift him up and sit him with us and that helps. 

Now for me it can be a little tuff. I feel like I can't do everything like I used to. Which can be frustrating. I try to spend time with each little one when one is taking a nap or one is at school. When it's just DS2 and our DD it can be a little hard but so far so good. One thing we can handle going out to the store the 5 of us. So that's a thumbs up. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Mommies going from 1 to 2 or more little ones adjustment..

• Options
    I think there was a thread about this a few months ago... 
    I'm nervous about the transition from 2 to 3, but my other kids are bigger (6 and 11) DS2 is a huge Momma's boy, so I'm most concerned about him. Today is induction day, so we will see very soon! 
  • Options
    We are transitioning from 1 to 2. DD is 21 months so she doesn't understand much and just wants to carry the baby around and obviously can't. She like helping but on her terms so we really try to limit that. We've been home from the hospital since Sunday and it's gone alright. I've started crying several times because I feel like I can't be the mom DD needs me to be right now and that makes me sad. DH goes back to work Friday and I am a nervous wreck on how I'm going to handle it. This LO is pretty chill, night times are hard as expected but I just have to get him to lay in his bassinet to sleep. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am having a hard time transitioning more than my kids are.  They all love the new addition, but I am having a harder time balancing.  I am also tandem nursing and since my supply came in my 20 month old is acting like a rabid dog wanting to nurse all the time.  I joined a fb group for tandem nursing and got some great ideas.  This morning has gone by easier.  I am optimistic that I have better tools to maneuver through this transition.
  • Options
    We went from 1 to 2. DS is going to turn 2 in a few weeks and the terrible twos are full blown right now. He likes his little sis but I am sure is also thrown off with having her around. He does not listen very well right now, and I am having a really hard time dealing with that. Since I was a CS, I haven't been able to pick him up yet either, so I haven't been left alone with both DS and DD at the same time. My OB gave me clearance to lift if I felt OK after 2 weeks (which is tomorrow), so this weekend will be the first time I'll be with both of them (DH has to work). I am terrified lol. 

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• Options
    I'm going from 1 to 2. It has gone smoothly so far, but I'm attributing that to DH being home. I'm petrified of how it will be when he returns to work in a week and a half. DS1 was obsessed with his brother for the first few days, but he's finally settled down a bit and doesn't ask to hold him 24/7. I have no idea how I'm going to do anything with 2 kids, so the first few weeks after DH goes back to work will be all about survival. 

• Options
    Following, mostly. E is still in the hospital so we've been able to ease into things a bit with DS1 (3). He's come to visit several times so they've met, and he is excited for E to come home, but I have a feeling he will be in for a rude awakening once the honeymoon period is over, and will be wanting to send him back!
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options
    My 3yo finally stopped asking if the baby was home. So he finally realizes he's not going anywhere. 
  • Options
    @bananers my ds (6) told me the first full day home that he'd had enough crying and I needed to make the baby stop lol. That was when Levi stopped pooping, developed jaundice, and cried every moment he was awake. It's gone better since then. He only gets slightly annoyed by him now. The hardest part us not being able to be outside with baby, ds isn't used to that. 
  • Options
    Thanks for this thread. It's nice to hear others experiences. 

DD (5) has been more difficult than the baby and getting on my nerves. She, at times, is indifferent to him but loves the idea of being a good big sister and helper. She pretty much goes about her business as if he's not around. I'm trying to praise her when she's the slightest bit good and give her lots of love. But it's hard!! I have to keep my patience with her. 
  • Options
    I agree with the patience thing! I just can't handle DS right now.

We're going from 1 (DS - 3 in a few weeks) to 2 (DD - 2 weeks). DS is doing well for the most part. However he constantly wants to hold her, touch her, poke her, grab her, shake her arms or legs, or "pat" the top of her head. He just can't stop himself from touching her. He's been having trouble listening and staying calm. I think part of that is him being stuck in the house so much right now. 

He talks to her a lot! He regularly gives her kisses and says, "welcome home baby sister!" And starting this week, he yells at her to stop crying from his bed. If she's yelling about something, you can hear him in the monitor telling her to stop crying!  :)
  • Options
    Our big kids 5 & almost 7 have adjusted well, the five year old is more involved and she likes to rush to help calm baby down, and has been trying really hard to do more than her normal chores to help around the house. Our 7 year old is mostly indifferent. DD2 is two weeks and so far neither have been acting out, and neither seem bothered by her during the night, however I attribute that in part to vaulted ceilings. I also think having them both in soccer and letting the help we were offered the first week be letting people take them to their practices helped them still have somewhat of a routine and an outlet plus get to be outside. I've been feeling more up to moving around, so walks in the ergo with the cover so baby isn't getting sun and now taking them to practices this past week and watching makes them still feel important and that's their special thing. DD2 loves the ergo!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We went from 2-3. Ages 5, 2, and newborn. 

Its going well. My oldest is a huge help. My middle keeps wanting to hold the baby and gets upset when it's not a good time 

• Options
    We've gone from one to two. DD was 22 months old when our son was born nearly 3 weeks ago. I'd say it's been doing well, but DD is definitely more clingy to me than before. The first two weeks were very tough but more so because DD was completely out of her routine having not been at daycare and being taken care of by grandparents. Now that we are more settled into a new routine with a nanny, she's behaving better. She loves her baby brother and wants to help, hold him, and kiss his head all the time - it's adorable!

• Options
    Moms who got their older kids Big Bro or Big Sis gifts -- did you give it to them at the hospital when they came to meet LO? Or leave it with whoever was taking care of them while you were gone? I'm debating what I want to do for DS. (I have a gift ready for him, just not sure when to give it. He's almost 3.)

• Options
    @tisunge602 , When DS2 was born, we had them exchange gifts at the hospital when they met. (DS1 was 3 at the time.) And we plan on doing it that way again when this little one is born. It worked well for us that way.
  • Options
    @tisunge602 We gave DD her presents (a doll and a stroller for it) at the hospital. She's only 15 months, though so didn't understand what it was for. It kept her busy while she visited, though. 
  • Options
    @tisunge602 originally we wanted to do it at the hospital but way too much going on. So when we got back home we gave them their gifts from their little sister and they where thrilled.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Moms who got their older kids Big Bro or Big Sis gifts -- did you give it to them at the hospital when they came to meet LO? Or leave it with whoever was taking care of them while you were gone? I'm debating what I want to do for DS. (I have a gift ready for him, just not sure when to give it. He's almost 3.)
    I did both. I left a gift from me with my ILs and then we had another gift from the baby at the hospital that we have when he came to meet him. 
  • Options
    DD has been way more difficult than the newborn. She is most definitely trying to figure out her place and is not listening to anything I say. She will be 3 at the end of October. I have come close to losing it several times just because of how difficult she is being. Hope we turn a corner soon. It is all still very new.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @LWC1112 I am experiencing the same with my soon to be 2 year old. He just flat out won't listen to me. I had to text DH the other day to tell him I was close to losing my cool, luckily he came home within about 15 minutes to relieve me. 

I I know that it's just DS figuring things out and testing new limits, but it doesn't make it easier. If it's just me and DS he listens pretty well still so I try to make sure when DH is home I still get some "mommy and me" time with my first.

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• Options

we gave our 5 year old the gift at the hospital when she came to meet her sister.  The gift had some stuff from us in it but also a special stuffed animal from the baby.  She thought it was the coolest thing and it was so sweet to see her so excited! 
  • Options
    Oh the two year old is driving me nuts too. He's so sweet but really pushing boundaries to see if we really mean what we say. 

Also so he's yelling all his "demands" No No No or More More More. Over and over. We have tried repeating back to him " hey buddy we know you want more let me go get it" and he still just yells over and over. 

• Options
    DD is almost 2 and she's been the same way! She will take something she knows she isn't supposed to have and then when you go to take it away she throws it. Not fun, there have been many a time outs and butt pops. We've been home a week and she has settled down a little bit and settling into this new routine. 
  • Options
    DH has been mostly taking care of DD (15 months) and she has started refusing to take a nap. I'm pretty sure it's because DH is home and she doesn't want to miss anything. Now she's super cranky and DH is used to leaving a happy baby and coming home to a happy baby and not used to her normal temper tantrums let alone these sleep deprived ones. It's made for an interesting week. DH has even told me he doesn't know how I've been staying sane being home with her and the babysitting baby every day. Luckily LO is a pretty laid back newborn so far and DD has been really good with him. 
  • Options
    LWC1112 said:
    DD has been way more difficult than the newborn. She is most definitely trying to figure out her place and is not listening to anything I say. She will be 3 at the end of October. I have come close to losing it several times just because of how difficult she is being. Hope we turn a corner soon. It is all still very new.
    My DD will be 3 in October as well. How is yours doing with new baby? Mine was really disconnected to me and baby at first but has gotten better. She was not a fan in the beginning and has warmed up to him a lot. But she has definitely tested boundaries and she refuses to go to bed on the first try every single night. Every night we do our normal routine and sure enough every night she gets up and needs to be tucked back in again. It's driving me insane!