January 2016 Moms

Weekly Fitness Check In!

maureenmcemaureenmce member
edited August 2016 in January 2016 Moms
Welcome!  Post where you're starting, a short term fitness goal, a long term fitness goal, and your method of getting there.  Plus, your favorite form of exercise.  

Edited to add: talk about any challenges you'll be facing and how you might overcome them.  Things like losing weight without cutting too many calories, if you're breastfeeding, finding time to exercise, stress - what's the number one thing that's been standing in your way.

I'll go!

1. I'm starting at 215lbs (siiiiiiigh)
2. Short term goal - 195 - I'm really hoping to get there by our Christmas card photos we're taking at the beginning of November!
3. Long term goal - 185 my pre preg weight, and reeeeally long term goal, 150.
4. Plan: starting Paleo diet next week, and will be calorie counting.  (I'm easing in to Paleo this week, but going strict starting Monday.)  Walking 30 min daily, hoping to squeeze in an actual exercise bike or elliptical work out 2-3 times a week, but god, where do I find the time!?)
5. My favorite form of exercise that I actually do regularly is probably hiking/walking.  I also really like dance classes, so I'm hoping to get in good enough shape to start doing them again after years and years.

6. Challenges - 1. time to exercise.  Right now I have my day completely scheduled from 6 am to 10 or 11 pm with baby care, work and commuting, so I'm just not sure when I'll be able to exercise.  Trying to think of ways to get around this - maybe walking workouts at lunch at work? 2. Unlimited snacks at work + stressful job = peanut M&Ms all day long.  :/  Hoping that going Paleo will solve this problem, since none of the work snacks are Paleo friendly.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone else!

Re: Weekly Fitness Check In!

• 1. Starting at 226, ugh. Only 6lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight but I had plenty to lose at that time.
    2. Short term goal - 210. I'd like to be down to that by my day in mid October. I think it's doable but not without a concerted effort. 
    3. Long term goal - 185. I have not been below this weight as an adult! Maybe when I get there I'll change the goal but this is it for now. 
    4. Plan: DH is eating restricted carbs and I have just been watching. Of course when I prepare dinner I make healthy things that he can eat, but I have toast with my eggs and generally eat junk for lunch. I want to join him and eat fewer carbs/processed foods. I also want to start using the time between David's first and second naps to take a walk together. Things just keep coming up that get in the way. 
    5. I also like hiking and walking. I used to run (slowly) and I'd like to get back into that.
    6. Challenges -
    a. Prioritizing exercise over other things I could do at that time of day.
    b. Since giving birth my knees have really hurt so I feel kind of justified not exercising. 
    c. I am still not getting great sleep, so it's even harder than usual to find the energy to get up and move around. However, wanting to see my son get married and hold my grandkids is definitely motivating me to be healthier. 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    1. Today's Weight: 179.5 lb.
    2. Short Term Goal: 170 lb.
    3. Long-Term Goal: 149 lb by age 30 (...I'm 29 in a month)  
    4. My Plan:
    -Count calories using MyFitnessPal, because I need the ongoing reality check
    -Count steps using Fitbit to keep MFP more accurate.
    -Choose healthy options as often as possible, but still allow leeway for the occasional unhealthy choice. 
    -Create and follow weekly meal plans to prevent lazy and unhealthy evening/dinner binges. Similarly, don't impulse buy foods that aren't on the list and/or I know will be too tempting to eat in moderation.
    5. Exercise: Walking. 
    6. Challenges: Cheese. Bread. Carbs. Chocolate. Etc.
    7. Victories!!: 
    a. I don't know the exact number because I did not get on a scale those last few weeks, but I was at least 225 lbs before LO was born so I've already lost more than 35 lbs and am actually around my pre-pregnancy weight.
    b. Cheesecake was on sale for $7.97 yesterday and I wanted to buy 20 cheesecakes but instead I bought zero cheesecakes.
  • Loading the player...
  • l4rk said:
    7. Victories!!: 
    a. I don't know the exact number because I did not get on a scale those last few weeks, but I was at least 225 lbs before LO was born so I've already lost more than 35 lbs and am actually around my pre-pregnancy weight.
    b. Cheesecake was on sale for $7.97 yesterday and I wanted to buy 20 cheesecakes but instead I bought zero cheesecakes.
    Haha, I love this part!
  • 1. Starting: 240ish I went to the dr 2 months ago and that's what it was, no worries it makes me sick too 
    2. Short term goal: 220 my pre preg weight OR to be able to fit into my pre pregnancy clothes that'd be fabulous 
    3. Long term goal: anywhere under 200 I haven't been in the 100's since middle school. I'll even take 199.99lbs
    4. Plan: 
    I'm thinking about going gluten free to help other issues in having and I read a blog that gluten may be the issue. 
    Start walking again
    maybe join a gym to help with my core (back pains are real y'all) 
    change my diet completely. 
    5. my favorite activity is couch surfing lol jk before the south turned to the firey pits of hell I would walk nightly with LO around my neighborhood (about 1-2 miles) I used an app called map my walk to calculate the distance. I'm also a waitress and there is plenty of fast walking involved. 

6. Challenges: 
    #1: staying confident enough in myself to kee going. 
    #2: not giving into my weaknesses (cake,ice cream, candy,soda etc) 
    #3: staying away from the quick snack at work of biscuits 
    #4: finding time to go exercise as my work schedule changes daily. 
    #5: finding the energy to do things other than sleep. 

Ive lost any and all confidence I ever had in myself. I don't even look in the mirror these days. I live in yoga pants because I'm so disgusted in myself to go buy a bigger size in pants. 
    I wanted to start plexus or shakeology but after reading up on them I decided it's probably not a good idea. 
    :-/

• Starting at 168. 10 pounds to pre pregnancy weight.
    My goal is 150. About what i weighed when i moved from Florida. My biggest  challange is finding the time and energy to exercise. I miss a good workout, but with a demanding job and a long commute i just can't find the time. Once the heat isn't so oppressive we can go out in the jogging stroller more. I want to feel strong and energetic again!
  • @carlyhammond please don't start shakeology or some gimmic. Eat lots of fruits, veggies and lean protien, and keep moving! My daughter thinks its hilarious while i hold her and do squats
  •  
    Ive lost any and all confidence I ever had in myself. I don't even look in the mirror these days. I live in yoga pants because I'm so disgusted in myself to go buy a bigger size in pants. 

If you can, go buy a cute new pair of pants in your current size - it'll totally boost your self esteem to have something that fits right.  I was in the exact same boat before returning to work, and none of my old clothes fit well (or at all) and I finally broke down and bought a couple of new things in my current size.  I couldn't believe how much better I felt (and looked) in something that fit properly.  Even if these outfits become too big for me soon (let's hope!) they really, really helped my confidence in the meantime.  

And overall, hang in there, you're awesome and you deserve to feel confident, at any size!  :)
  • 1. Starting at 160
    2. Short term goal is 140
    3. Long term goal/ pre marriage weight is 110 (I wanna fit into my old clothes again *sigh*
    4. My best friend is in the military and told me about their diet, which I am somewhat following, with a couple of modifications. Basically the goal is to only eat one "big" meal a day. The rest of your meals/snacks should be fruit and or protein (smoothies are great) and should not be completely filling. I don't follow this strictly but I have lost 5 pounds since starting roughly a month ago. 
    5. My favorite excercise is walking! My mom and I walk Lo every day that's not above 90 degrees and we take turns- one will push the stroller half way while the other uses 5 lb weights. Then we switch half way. 
    6. It's challenging to get excercise in on days it's too hot to walk. I generally do thigh-focused workouts on those days because my goal is to fit into my pre preggo jeans. (Still wearing maternity!) but sometimes I slack and don't do anything on days it's too hot to walk.
    right now I just need to find ways to motivate myself to get my butt up and do something when it's hot outside! I know swimming would be great but I don't have anyone to watch lo if my hubby and I were to use our apt pool!
    this is such an awesome post to help me get a little perspective and motivation:) thank you!
  • 1. Starting at 170 earlier this week and 168.2 last night. My pre-preg wt was 165 but I still want to get back to a healthier weight for me.
    2. Short term goal is to feel comfortable in my prepregnancy clothes again.
    3.Long term goal is a weight of 140 and just to be healthier all around. I want to make good food choices and be more active as an example to my kids but also so I can hopefully live a longer, happier life with them.
    4. I am trying to find the time to walk if the weather is decent at night and trying to eat a more plant-based diet. Trying to make things ahead (like freezing fruit to put into smoothies or cooking hard boiled eggs the night before for a quick breakfast)
    5. My favorite exercise is yoga but I haven't done it in years and find it hard to find the time to go to a class. I don't have the self-confidence to go alone quite yet. Other than that I do enjoy walking.
    6. Challenges:TIME! By the time both kids are in bed and I can actually work out I am exhausted and it is only an hour til my bedtime. I don't have enough hours in the day!! 
  • 1. Starting at 130.
    2. Short term goal is back to pre-pregnancy weight of 110
    3. Long term goal is to keep it off.  It's getting harder as I am middle age now
    4. Plan: walk thirty minutes on the treadmill whenever I can get home before DH gets home with the kids.  Healthier eating.
    5. Walking is my favorite form of exercise.  I don't like to sweat.  Or I like taking a class because I need people around me to motivate me.
    6. Challenges: As many have said time!  I have four children ages four and younger.  The 2 year old and the 6 month old still wake multiple times a night.  I am exhausted!  I just want to sleep, not work out!  Plus I'm still breastfeeding and my supply dips whenever I cut calories.  But at this point I don't care so much...I just hate my diastasis recti.  Anybody else have this and people still ask if you're pregnant again?!?!
  • Starting at 206  :/
    Pre-preg weight: 188
    Short term goal by 12/31: 185
    Long term goal by 5/31/17: 155-160

How I plan on getting there:
    -modified Paleo diet with occasional cheats for events (so I don't have to live under a rock) coupled with intermittent fasting (I haven't been able to do this while breastfeeding)
    -exercise: HIIT training (running & jump rope) along with strength training (mostly kettle bell work); possibly Crossfit if my husband lets me rejoin (I have been doing it ab 4 yrs and up until I was ab 14 weeks preg last year)
    -Advocare 24 day cleanse - I do these usually 1-2x per yr to jumpstart - I will start this when I stop breastfeeding (not sure when that will be)

Challenges: finding time to meal prep & workout, not snacking on things in the break room at work, not binging on bad foods on the weekend, and not drinking too much. I leave for work at 7 and don't get home until 6-630, baby goes down around 730. It just doesn't leave much time for working out. I wish I could wake up early in the morning to do it but I'm just not a morning person and I am always so tired!

• l4rkl4rk member

If you can, go buy a cute new pair of pants in your current size - it'll totally boost your self esteem to have something that fits right.  I was in the exact same boat before returning to work, and none of my old clothes fit well (or at all) and I finally broke down and bought a couple of new things in my current size.  I couldn't believe how much better I felt (and looked) in something that fit properly.  Even if these outfits become too big for me soon (let's hope!) they really, really helped my confidence in the meantime.  

And overall, hang in there, you're awesome and you deserve to feel confident, at any size!  :)
    I 100% agree with this. I didn't feel like a human being again until I went out and bought a couple pairs of bigger jeans. Before that I was living in sweatpants and maternity pants, and those just aren't good for postpartum self esteem. No matter what size you are, having clothes that fit properly is make or break in looking and feeling good. That's a secret to how celebrities always look so good: their wardrobe teams put them in properly tailored clothes!
  • Love this post! Can't post mine now since I should be working instead of on the bump app :)
  • Starting weight: 190
    Short Term goal: 175
    Long Term goal: I'd love to get to a target weight but realistically I want to develop a healthier lifestyle for myself and my offspring. 
    Plan:  I'm currently using the my plate app to watch my eating habits. I'm signing up to do a 5k with my oldest.
    Exercise:  I'm on week two of a running plan, plus I will be running hills on the weekends with DD1 cross country team. I do Jillian Michaels 30day shred 3 days a week and plyometrics once a week with the husband. I would love to do a spin class at the Y. And I can't wait for it to cool down so I can start running outside. 
    Challenges:  
    1. Time. 6 kids, 3 with extracurricular activities, leads very little time. Plus getting my real estate license and going back to school in the spring my time will become nonexistent. 
    2. Breastfeeding. I'm one of the lucky few who can't lose weigh while nursing. With my last two I was unable to lose any weight until I stopped nursing. Once I did, I dropped almost 20 pounds in 2 months. 
    3.  Motivation. I am very quick to throw excuses out like verbal diarrhea to not workout. The couch is so much more comfortable than a sports bra. 
  • 1. Starting at 130.
    2. Short term goal is back to pre-pregnancy weight of 110
    3. Long term goal is to keep it off.  It's getting harder as I am middle age now
    4. Plan: walk thirty minutes on the treadmill whenever I can get home before DH gets home with the kids.  Healthier eating.
    5. Walking is my favorite form of exercise.  I don't like to sweat.  Or I like taking a class because I need people around me to motivate me.
    6. Challenges: As many have said time!  I have four children ages four and younger.  The 2 year old and the 6 month old still wake multiple times a night.  I am exhausted!  I just want to sleep, not work out!  Plus I'm still breastfeeding and my supply dips whenever I cut calories.  But at this point I don't care so much...I just hate my diastasis recti.  Anybody else have this and people still ask if you're pregnant again?!?!
    Pelvic tilts!  I do them all the time. If I'm on the floor playing with my daughter I do them. When watching Netflix with the husband before bed I do them. It takes time but they work wonders!!! My upper abs are completely closed and my lower abs are finger tip. 
  • 1. I'm starting at 175
    2. Short term goal - 155 (pre pregnancy)
    3. Long term goal - 140 
    4. Plan: 30 minutes elliptical (I have one at home that I NEVER use :( )  We have been eating less carbs with our meals and I plan to keep it that way.
    5. Hiking is for sure my favorite! But being in the city away from all the good trails is tough  
    6. Challenges - Finding the time to MEAL PREP, I think most of us are having this struggle 
  • maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited August 2016
    Just popping in to vent for a quick sec - the next three weeks at work are going to make dieting SO HARD.  We are on an insane schedule right now.  I work in reality television, in post production, and we have only *three weeks* to go from raw footage to delivering a finished episode of television on air.  For reference, with the show I'm on, we usually get two months, at least, to do that!  The network is throwing drinks and terrible food at us, to cheer us up as everyone is on a nonstop 7 day a week schedule, which would be great fun except for I'm trying to lose weight!  The kitchen is full of chips, chocolate and soda.  Oh, and everyone is in a monstrous mood on top of it all, and my job is already pretty stressful.  Plus I just started my period and have bad cramps!

*pity party*

I need to think of some strategies to avoid snacking on unhealthy things in the kitchen and at at least drinks/lunches, even though when I'm stressed I definitely have a tendency to comfort eat.  But maybe just by posting this I will be held more accountable and avoid snacks, and order a salad at lunch.  I also think I need to be more diligent about packing healthy snacks from home, so I can chomp on a carrot or something, if I get overwhelmed by the urge to stress eat.  

Any strategies anyone else uses to avoid stress eating or still lose weight when super stressed?
  • 1. Today's Weight: 145
    2. Short Term Goal: 130
    3. Long-Term Goal: 115 (I'm short and petite. I was 100 pp but I don't think I'll ever get back to that realistically)  
    4. My Plan: 
    -Eating better. Less dessert. 
    -Count steps using Fitbit 
    -find an enjoyable workout. I used to do trapeze/silks but there's no way my body is ready for that. Plus there is no way I have time or energy for that.
    5. Exercise: Walking for now, but I really want to find something more enjoyable 
    6. Challenges: ice cream, exhaustion, time, babysitter, motivation, and breastfeeding 
  • 1. Currently 152-154lbs - basically same as I was pre-preg
    2. Short term goal - Not weight related - but my goal is to build overall strength and to get back into weight lifting
    3. Long term goal - to be able to do one unassisted pull-up and 10 proper push ups
    4. Plan: Try to strength train 2x per week and walk 3-4x per week. I need to find somewhere to practice pull ups though! I'm thinking the park, but since LO isn't big enough to actually play at the park yet, I feel self conscious being that random lady at the park on the monkey bars haha
    5. My favorite form of exercise is hiking or walking, I also love lifting heavy weights but I don't intend on returning to really heavy lifting until after I finish breasfeeding to protect my pelvic floor.
    6. Challenges: time - like everyone else. Energy - LO is still up once per night to feed plus a couple more times to reinsert his soother, so getting enough sleep is hard some days. My pelvic floor - still isn't in tip-top shape and I don't want to risk damaging it, I have an appointment with the PF clinic in a month so hopefully I will have some more answers then
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • l4rkl4rk member
    Just popping in to vent for a quick sec - the next three weeks at work are going to make dieting SO HARD.  We are on an insane schedule right now.  I work in reality television, in post production, and we have only *three weeks* to go from raw footage to delivering a finished episode of television on air.  For reference, with the show I'm on, we usually get two months, at least, to do that!  The network is throwing drinks and terrible food at us, to cheer us up as everyone is on a nonstop 7 day a week schedule, which would be great fun except for I'm trying to lose weight!  The kitchen is full of chips, chocolate and soda.  Oh, and everyone is in a monstrous mood on top of it all, and my job is already pretty stressful.  Plus I just started my period and have bad cramps!

*pity party*

I need to think of some strategies to avoid snacking on unhealthy things in the kitchen and at at least drinks/lunches, even though when I'm stressed I definitely have a tendency to comfort eat.  But maybe just by posting this I will be held more accountable and avoid snacks, and order a salad at lunch.  I also think I need to be more diligent about packing healthy snacks from home, so I can chomp on a carrot or something, if I get overwhelmed by the urge to stress eat.  

Any strategies anyone else uses to avoid stress eating or still lose weight when super stressed?
    Stress eat on something low calorie! Baby carrots do it for me. After I eat a couple dozen I feel kinda gross and don't want to eat anymore. Ahaha. But seriously, just have a ton of veggies at your desk, so you can eat those all day long.
  • Starting weight: 143
    Short Term goal: 135
    Long Term goal: I want to feel healthier and stronger and be able to chase my little boy around without getting winded. I want to finally feel good about my size and shape - I've felt blah for far too long. I'm also hoping getting more physically fit will help me have more energy!
    Plan: Stop eating dessert at every meal, stop eating candy at work, opt for iced coffee instead of a full fat latte at Starbucks (I go a couple times a week), aim to get at least 5,000 steps in a day. I will wear my fitbit to make sure I am keeping up with this goal
    Favorite form of exercise: Walking and exercise classes. I don't currently have a gym membership, so will plan to walk around the neighborhood
    Challenges: Time, energy, motivation, my sweet tooth, and the 50000 degree weather!

• Starting weight:160
    Short Term Goal: 150
    Long term Goal: 135-140 and to fit into my pre pregnancy pants without a struggle
    Plan/Challenges: Eat less - I know I over eat especially at lunch since I go out for lunch everyday at work. And night time snacking/wine is my weakness. I also need to get back into exercising. I was doing workout videos (21 day fix, PiYo) 3+ times a week but LO has regressed back into waking up 3-5 times per night and I just wanted that extra hour of sleep. I know I should work on LOs sleep but 1. I'm always so tired that I'll do whatever works for the moment to get more sleep and 2. With working full time those middle of the night cuddles are selfishly wonderful. 

Hope this group can help keep me accountable especially since we are all in the same boat with being exhausted  :)
  • Starting: 127ish
    Goal: 120 maybe was around 123 pre preg mostly my goal is just to feel in shape and healthy and not so much a number goal 
    Plan: I just started and finished the first week of T25 I really want to actually stick with it and finish it. I also do occasional runs, maybe I'll get a jogging stroller since it should be cooling off soon
    Fave exersize: this might sound crazy but I LOVE going to the gym. I won't go now because I'm too scared to leave him in the gym daycare so I'm giving T25 a try! 
    Challenges: I love snacks and laying around also I'm having a hard time making sure I'm getting enough calories for breastfeeding while still keeping them healthy calories ugh 
  • Hey! I love this thread!
  • Following... Started at 178, pre pregnancy weight was 125 and I am down to 121.  I have been following a modified version of isagenix (safe for nursing moms) and bought a Fitbit.  I try to get in 10,000 steps a day.  I am a part of an amazing support group if anyone is interested PM me.  It's on FB :).