Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Considering CIO?

my 10 month old is usually in bed by 7 and sometimes sleeps through the night (wakes up around 6:30) other nights (especially past 2 weeks) he wakes up around 10:30-11 for a bottle and drinks a whole 8 ounces. I have always rocked him to sleep and he won't sleep unless I do and same goes for his naps. Rocking him to sleep for naps can take over 30 or so minutes and he has been fighting me more and more. I have been considering having him CIO but from what I have been reading parents do this because their babies are waking multiple times through out the night. It's becoming more and more difficult to rock him to bed and although I can't help but think he's hungry when he wakes up because he eats a whole 8 ounces i don't want him to need a bottle to help him go back to sleep. Any ideas on CIO? 

Re: Considering CIO?

• People do CIO for a variety of reasons. I did so because my dude was waking up multiple times throughout the night (like you mentioned) but I also had to rock him to sleep for increasingly long periods of time and he would fight it as well. How much does he eat before he goes to bed? Maybe try increasing the amount, if he's drinking 8 ounces for a MOTN feeding? Do you think he's actually hungry or just sucking down the bottle because it's comforting? Maybe it's just a growth spurt and it will pass?

Only you can decide if you want to try CIO but it definitely helped us in that afterwards, LO will roll over and sleep as soon as I put him in the crib, or he will quietly talk to himself until he goes to sleep. CIO is to teach them that they can fall asleep on their own, at bedtime, during the night, or (and usually) both! :)
  • Vik9Vik9 member
    People do CIO for a variety of reasons. I did so because my dude was waking up multiple times throughout the night (like you mentioned) but I also had to rock him to sleep for increasingly long periods of time and he would fight it as well. How much does he eat before he goes to bed? Maybe try increasing the amount, if he's drinking 8 ounces for a MOTN feeding? Do you think he's actually hungry or just sucking down the bottle because it's comforting? Maybe it's just a growth spurt and it will pass?

Only you can decide if you want to try CIO but it definitely helped us in that afterwards, LO will roll over and sleep as soon as I put him in the crib, or he will quietly talk to himself until he goes to sleep. CIO is to teach them that they can fall asleep on their own, at bedtime, during the night, or (and usually) both! :)
    O man its been hard! We are on day 4 and its not easy :-/. After he settles himself (first night took almost 2 hours) he does not wake during the night so im assuming he was waking up for the bottle for comfort. He always eats a good amount during the day and gets over 8 ounces before bed. I just introduced a lovey to him hoping that it would maybe help him but at this point i dont know if its making things worse but I just want to make things a little easier for him. Nap time is still really a struggle but hopefully it gets better!
  • Loading the player...
  • Vik9 said:
    People do CIO for a variety of reasons. I did so because my dude was waking up multiple times throughout the night (like you mentioned) but I also had to rock him to sleep for increasingly long periods of time and he would fight it as well. How much does he eat before he goes to bed? Maybe try increasing the amount, if he's drinking 8 ounces for a MOTN feeding? Do you think he's actually hungry or just sucking down the bottle because it's comforting? Maybe it's just a growth spurt and it will pass?

O man its been hard! We are on day 4 and its not easy :-/. After he settles himself (first night took almost 2 hours) he does not wake during the night so im assuming he was waking up for the bottle for comfort. He always eats a good amount during the day and gets over 8 ounces before bed. I just introduced a lovey to him hoping that it would maybe help him but at this point i dont know if its making things worse but I just want to make things a little easier for him. Nap time is still really a struggle but hopefully it gets better!
    Aw, sorry it's taking so long! It took 2-3 pretty rough days for us and then some extra maintenance for about a month or so until he really figured it out. That's great that you're making progress though. Nap time took a lot longer to get a good schedule down and sometimes it still takes work. I personally think a lovey is fine since it's easy for them to grab and snuggle (unless they accidentally throw it out of the crib). Good luck!
  • Vik9Vik9 member
    he was doing so well, last few nights hes been out in under a minute but tonight it took him over an hour! is it normal for this to happen? Its making me rethink everything :-/
  • Vik9 said:
    he was doing so well, last few nights hes been out in under a minute but tonight it took him over an hour! is it normal for this to happen? Its making me rethink everything :-/
    We did a version of CIO and after a few nights of success we had the same thing happen. It was just one night though. Every once in awhile it will happen again, usually for a nap. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it may be due to being overtired. It's hard finding that 10-15 minute window to put them to bed. 
  • Vik9 said:
    It sounds normal. Every so often DS would have bad nights. He could've been feeling under the weather or something or overtired like pp said. It's all a guessing game!
  • My 9 month old is getting increasingly harder to put down at night. I've always rock him also. I'm thinking about CIO, but I'm so nervous for some reason
  • My 9 month old is getting increasingly harder to put down at night. I've always rock him also. I'm thinking about CIO, but I'm so nervous for some reason
    Im so glad i did it! It was not easy but it was probably the best decision I have made. Although he still cries here and there before bed its for a short period, i no longer have to rock him and I can just lay him down awake, he goes to sleep on his own and sleeps the whole night.