July 2015 Moms

Am I a slacker???

Ugh... I feel like I'm a total slacker. I'm worried because we're still trying to wean from the bottle to a sippy cup. I know part of the problem is because we aren't consistent with solid-food-meals and presenting a sippy cup still. We sold our house at the end of June and are almost finally settled in the new house... Been eating take out often... Luckily, DH prefers to cook breakfast at home and LO has been getting scrambled eggs and fruit on a schedule. I just need to buckle down and make some home cooked meals again now that things have settled. I did, however, make mini carrot & zucchini muffins... LO had a few bites of that...

Also, with four teeth already grown in and four on their way... I still need to schedule a dentist appointment. We started "cleaning" with a washcloth from day one and a toothbrush with water the last month... 

Sorry ladies... Just needed to vent and see how you are all doing in this arena. 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

Re: Am I a slacker???

• Hi mama, it's okay, there's a lot going on. Unfortunately we aren't as consistent with solids either, but right now we aren't eating lots of solids because my baby boy wasn't feeling too well this week, and we had to take him to the ER but thank God everything is okay and so is my son. We did find out he is a bit anemic so we do need to focus on eating more solids with green veggies and beans. He isn't so fond of solids so he only tried a couple bites, but hopefully he will start to like them more I just need to get creative with cooking, and I like the carrot and zucchini muffin idea, thank you! 

We also just started brushing his teeth with fluoride free, organic toothpaste. At first he didn't like it but now he loves to play with the toothbrush and sucks it, it's so cute and funny. We still haven't schedule a dentist appointment, that's because after taking him to the ER, he is scared of the doctors, but I do plan to take him in the next few weeks or next month. 

You are not a slacker mama, just every one is different and are going through different phases and situations. Eventually everything will fall into place. Moving homes it's a big thing and it can take a while before you settle in. So don't worry, you can now start to do everything now that you are settled at your new home! Keep us posted mama and thank you for sharing, because you aren't alone! God bless you and your family! :blush:
  • I don't think you are lazy. We just moved a few months back, and it took us a while to get back to normal. I am not worried about taking our LO to the dentist. Your doctor said it wasn't important to go until she is 2. We do have a set feeding schedule. I Bf when she wakes up and we have breakfast, then lunch after 1st nap, snack is after 2nd nap, and after 3rd nap I Bf again then an hour is supper, then finally I Bf her before bed. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @AKOL0 Your baby is still taking three naps?? My girl is down to one!! I miss that extra down time lol.

To @mrsrep123 don't beat yourself up! You just went through a major transition with moving, it's understandable that some stuff will have to take a backseat. As long as your child is fed you're good, I promise LO won't be taking a sippy cup to kindergarten lol. You'll get there! We haven't scheduled the first dentist visit either, and my LO has EIGHT teeth! I keep asking DH to get me the dental insurance info from work so we can pick a dentist in network and of course he keeps forgetting! Just keep brushing, it will be fine!
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @vineheart137, 3 naps is crazy right? I really wish she'd go down to only 2. 1 nap would be crazy amazing. Is your Lo's nap a few hours long. Her 3 naps equal 3-4 hours. It makes going places horrible. 
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    edited August 2016
    My baby boy also maps 1-3 naps, one being 2 hours. I think it's because of the leaps and growth spurt and teething. But that's if we are home, when we are out my little one naps less. Every baby is different mama so it's okay! :)
  • @AKOL0 Her nap is usually only about 1.5 hours. Sometimes it stretches to 2, sometimes it's as short as an hour! She sleeps 12 hours straight at night pretty consistently so I figure she's just not a napper and prefers recharging at night lol.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @n3na94 @vineheart137 @AKOL0! I appreciate your words and encouragement. 

On my way to work yesterday, I made LO a dentist appointment! Yaye... Get to check that off the list. 

Today, if we don't have too many surgical cases, I'll be looking up recipes to try for the upcoming week. We are slowly removing animal meat from our diet (for health reasons) and are desperately looking for creative veggie dishes. 

@vineheart137 I miss my LO sleeping 12 hours straight at night though multiple naps during the day is also helpful. My LO is doing 8-9 now and taking 2-3 naps totaling 3-4 hours. 

@AKOL0 I like your feeding schedule (and that you're still breastfeeding!). Since I'm home every morning with my LO, I find we have that consistency, but being at work 4 evenings each week makes it a bit tough for the rest of his schedule. DH tries but I think with any resistance from LO, he just grabs the bottle.  

@n3na94 I'm sorry you were in the ER but glad your LO is okay. I'll see what the dentist says about toothpaste but I'm all about fluoride free/organic too!

Thanks again Ladies! 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• We just went through moving as well, and I definitely feel your pain! For us, the best way to transition has been to set a definite time before which he doesn't get any bottles. It was hard the first few days, but he caught on quickly and now eats like a champ until 6 PM rolls around when he gets 1 "snack" bottle and another right before bed at 8:30. In another week or two, we'll switch to just the bedtime bottle. 
    One other thing that helped for us was realizing he is a total "I want to do it myself" stage. If we try to feed him, he won't eat, but if we sit him down with a plate of food and a sippy cup and let him do his thing it is messy, but works!

Good luck!
  • 3 naps would be beautiful lol my little guy still gets a bottle of milk at night before bed, and I keep one at night cause he still wakes up a ridiculous amount and I have no clue how to put a cork in that. We are slowly transitioning him to his room and he usually sleeps til 2 or 3 am in his room then I can't get him to go back to sleep unless I stay in there. But I'm glad we got the bottle to just bedtime, he was getting one at nap time too. I bf up til 11 months and then we started him on whole milk so that's been a big change for me too. My little guy takes maybe 2 naps and one is always a late one (fiances parents and my parents started that...I can't get a nap before 4 sometimes ugh) and for feeding....he kinda just eats whatever we eat whenever. Our oven is broken at the moment and my landlord hasn't answered me about fixing it, so we only make stove top food right now, and right now my fiance and I both work 1st shift so he eats when my parents (who watch him) eat. But he's good about eating solids really. 

• To get our LO to stop the nighttime feeds, our doctor recommended reducing the number of ounces he drank and then switching him over to just a bottle of water (no milk or formula) at night.  It took him a few nights to figure out what was going on, but now he sleeps through the night solidly (with only one or two wake ups if he's having a tough night with teething).  As a bonus, now the kid loves drinking water!  It is his preferred beverage, even over milk or formula.  He gets an 8 oz. bottle at breakfast with his oatmeal, then 4 oz. of milk with lunch and 4 more oz. with dinner.  That's it.