Infertility

Talk to me about IUI without a trigger shot

Soooo I spoke too soon. Although my insurance company said my copay would be $24, the pharmacy just called and said...just kidding, it is actually $78. Long story short, our budget just can'take stretch that far, at least not now. 

So should I call and cancel the IUI? Can I do the IUI without the trigger? I am also on Clomid and I do ovulate on my own every month but it is a late ovulation around cd 19-21. My RE said the clomid will help me ovulate sooner. 

So I just need some advice and encouragement because I am really down right now. 

Re: Talk to me about IUI without a trigger shot

• bai-by2019bai-by2019 member
    edited August 2016
    I am SO sorry to hear that! I would definitely talk to your soctors office to see of they have any suggestions.

I dont know if this will help, but there is a company that provides financial assistance for Fertility medications. Here's the link.

https://fertilitylifelines.com/?q=save-fertility-treatments/savings-self-pay-patients
  • Most IUI cycles with trigger shot is so the RE can schedule the IUI to coincide with ovulation. That way they know the window of ovulation, usually 24-36 hrs after shot is given. Washed sperm have a short life span so you want to make sure they are there ready for the egg.
     I am sure they can figure out a way to do it without the trigger shot. If you are worried about the outcome without trigger shot, perhaps you should wait until you have money put aside for the trigger shot. Infertility us stressful enough without having more stress about paying for it. 
      I am always stressed about finances and waited until we could afford all 3 IUI cycles until we started treatment with our RE. I knew it would stress me out each cycle figuring out how to pay for it. Most people would find that excessive but it kept me less stressed so it was worth it to wait a few months. 
     Good luck with whatever path you choose.
  • Loading the player...
  • @Ttcnumber2withhypo I agree, I would talk to your doctor and see what is suggested.  I did not do any injections with our IUIs... We did not have success, but I'm sure some people have, or the clinic would not have bothered to let us try it.  Each couple is different.  Our clinic had me use OPKs at home... Whenever I had a positive OPK, then the IUI was scheduled in the next day or two I think?  It's hard to remember, as it's been a few years.  DH would give his sample and then I would go in for the IUI an hour or so later.  Hope you get some answers to ease your mind!

Me: 35 DH: 41, Married since 2009

TTC since June 2012

Aug. 2012: CP

2013 Several cycles of TI with Clomid = BFN

Feb. 2014: IUI = BFN

June 2014: IUI w/Clomid = BFN

Jul. 2014: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN

Apr. 2016: Consult to begin IVF

May 2016 TI w/Follistim and Ovidrel = BFN

Jul. 2016: BCPs, baby aspirin, Vitamin D, COQ10, DHEA, Gonal F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Novarel, Leuprolide Acetate: 21 eggs retrieved, (10 w/ ICSI, 11 w/conv. IVF) 13 fertilized

Jul. 2016: Endometrin, Fresh Transfer 2AB = CP

7 frozen

Oct. 2016: BCPs, baby aspirin, Estradiol, PIO, FET 4AA = CP

6 frozen

Nov. 2016: Hospitalized for small bowel obstruction

Mar. 2017: Diagnostic Laparoscopy = Twist found in intestine - part of small intestine, part of colon, and appendix removed, bowel resection - caused by Endometriosis

May 2017: 3.75 Lupron Depot

June 2017: FET postponed due to complex cysts in breasts

June 2017: Endometrial scratch

Jul. 2017: Baby aspirin, Estradiol, PIO, FET 4AA (lost 1 4AA in thaw) = CP

4 frozen

Sept. 2017: ERA testing

Oct. 2017: Breast cysts biopsied

Dec. 2017: FET

• Sorry to hear that the insurance isn't going to cover the shot.  Echoing what everyone else said definitely talk to the Dr.  The clinic I go to has everyone sign up for compassionate care, same link that @Bai-by2016 posted.  GL!
  • I just want to jump in here.  I am going for my first IUI next month and the nurse told me I will be using OPKs to save on the trigger shot.  We are paying OOP for everything as well. 
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz