August 2015 Moms
Options

Any realtors out there? LONG, sorry :/

Hi ladies,

It's been a couple of months since I've been on the board so I apologize for asking for advice before contributing first BUT! I've got a little bit of a real estate annoyance and am in need of some advice/input from either other realtors on here or just mama's with experience. Some background so that this all has context:

1. Our family runs on the same schedule every day as far as naps and meals, with our "free time" existing in the same hours of the day, every day.
2. My only window to complete errands/work/outside-of-home-tasks is the "free time" of just under 3 hours in between nap times. If I miss that window, I have to reschedule everything to be done on a different day. 
3. I do a lot for my parents as well, so there are always extra things being added to my to do list.
4. We live in a great part of town but there are some people who live around us that make a lock box a very unattractive option.

My husband and I have been renting our condo for the last 4 years and the owner has recently put it on the market for sale. So for the past 10 weeks we've been adjusting our schedule as needed to accommodate showings and inspections. In all honesty I have no idea how this is supposed to go, but I try to be as flexible as possible in making sure I'm home or leaving a key for my land lady's realtor if I can't be home for some reason with the exception of my daughter's nap times, which the realtor is always understanding of. Lately though it's getting to be a little much. We get requests for various times of day, multiple times a day, almost every day. I am constantly having to cancel plans, reschedule work tasks, or put off errands and then rush to get everything done at the end of the week. On days where I try to say no to a request because I have too much going on that day and wont have time to clean the condo, the realtor requests to be there herself to have the showing. I appreciate her willingness to come herself, but that means that instead of leaving the housework to later that day so I can do what I need to do, I have to again put off my own schedule so I can clean up and make things presentable, thus causing me to have to rush through whatever I have to do so I can make it home in time for my daughter's nap time, which inevitably means having to push some things to another day. On the one day a week my husband is off, we're never able to have a relaxed day at home. Last week for example, we planned to relax together in the morning and then go out in between nap times. Instead, we got a showing request. So we spent the morning cleaning/struggling to keep it that way (I'm sure I don't have to explain that one to you mamas) and the realtor ended up being insanely late for the showing, so we didn't get to go out at all. My husband works 13 hour days, 6 days a week so that one really frustrated us. I've noticed also that she's started pushing the boundaries I originally put in place when the condo first went up for sale. Originally, she (my land lady's realtor) would give me a pretty exact time for the showing. But gradually that time frame has become more general. Today's showing was scheduled for "sometime between 2-3pm." I cannot block off that much time of our day for a showing; I really feel that isn't respectful of someone with a toddler who's made it clear numerous times that she has a busy schedule.  

Alllllll of that being said, my question here is this: Would I be out of line if I requested a more predictable schedule from her for these showings? For example "On Tuesday-Friday from the hours of 1:30-2:45pm I'll have the place clean, show-ready, and I'll make sure I'm out of the house so clients don't feel awkward while they look around. You just have to be here to let them in." Is that an unheard of arrangement in the real estate world? Like I said, I don't have any prior experience here. Any input or advice is appreciated!! TYIA  

Re: Any realtors out there? LONG, sorry :/

• Options
    Here's my two cents...if the condo is going to be sold and you are going to have to move very soon anyway, why not just find a new place and move now to save yourself the headaches?  As for giving them certain windows, you can't do that.  Buyers have to work around their own schedules and so they have to request to see it at a time that is convenient for them - someday if you decide to buy you will be requesting showings at times that work for you too.  It's hard, but unfortunately not much you can do about it except move.
  • Options
    Liz is correct. Your best bet is to try and move out now if at all possible. The land lady should be fine with you breaking the lease under these circumstances I'd assume.