April 2016 Moms
Options

Room sharing with baby

I would like to hear your experience with extended room sharing.

How long did you keep lo in your room? How did baby sleep? Were there frequent wake ups? What did baby sleep in? When did you transition to his/her own room? Was it difficult? Easy? 

Sorry for asking so many questions. We are having to downsize for several months while we have a house built, which will mean DD has to room in with us until about a year old. Just wondering what to expect. With my first 2 babies we moved them to their own room at 6 months. 

Thanks!

Re: Room sharing with baby

• Options
    We coslept until our son was ready for a toddler bed. It worked great for us. The older they get the more they move around, so s king-size bed is ideal if you go that route. He breastfed, so we didn't really wake up all the way when he did need to eat in the night. He transitioned just fine. I would say to plan for delays, just in case - it may be 15-18 months instead of a year. 
  • Options
    @horselover what age did he transition? And did you just put him in his new bed in his own room right off the bat? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LO is first baby so not sure how well this will go over but we plan to room share until 6 mos old or when he sleeps through the night. Which ever is later. The nursery is on another floor so we'd like to not have to make trips up stairs every night. Nanny (my mom) is going to start putting him down in his crib for naps in a couple of weeks. Right now he does all his sleeping in the pack n play in our bedroom 
    DS born on 4/16/16

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Our little guy is still in my room. Unfortunately, we don't have an AC unit in his nursery yet, and we live in SE Texas so... until that happens, room sharing it is!
  • Options
    He was probably 2.5 or so when he went full time into his own room. He's 9 now and still loves the book and snuggle routine we set up. There were some nights I would just sit in his room until he feel asleep. I'd bring a book and not talk, but my presence was enough until he became comfortable in his own room.
  • Options
    We just moved LO to his crib in his nursery this week. So far so good!  He was sleeping in a bassinet in our room, and I loved having him in our room. But he was getting too big for the bassinet, he arms were sticking through the slats and he was trying to turn in his sleep but didnt have enough room to do so. Also the zipper on his sleepsack would bang against the slats when he tried to turn which would wake me up and sometimes him too. He has been sleeping great in his crib, he has plenty of room to stretch out and he has been sleeping on his side.  He is 4 months old.  
  • Options
    How long did you keep lo in your room?  Our soon to be threenager slept in our room after she turned 1 and so will our little guy.
    How did baby sleep? Our little guy is actually sleeping really well.
    Were there frequent wake ups? He only wakes up at 3 in the morning to get his butt changed and to eat. Other than that he'll stay asleep until almost 8
    What did baby sleep in? Baby sleeps in a crib
    When did you transition to his/her own room? We transitioned about 13 or 14 months
    Was it difficult? Easy? It was easy. Our other kid stayed in a crib and she actually slept better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    With my first we coslept from day one until toddler bed. We plan to do the same with our little one now. He has slept with us since he was born also. I just can't imagine him alone in his room. And it's nice to just roll over and give him the boob instead of having to get up and get him lol.