April 2017 Moms
Options

Things To Buy/Things You've Bought

Re: Things To Buy/Things You've Bought

• Options
    So, I should preface this by saying that I have never actually used a leash with my daughter. But, that is only because we never really had to at this point. But, if we need to use a leash once number 2 comes around I will 100% use a leash with zero hesitation and with all future children as well, since we hope to have a couple more. Kids like to run. It is healthy for them to be able to walk around and explore a little. So, why would I keep them in a stroller, if I don't have to? I mean, I have definitely used a stroller. But, I more often was a babywearer/toddlerwearer and then let her run, when it was safe. I just never understand why someone would be against them. Spoiler: toddlers don't actually listen to you, most of the time. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just to clarify, I never meant for this to become a discussion about whether or not a baby "leash" is appropriate or not. It's just my opinion. And that's not to say my opinion won't change if DS suddenly starts running away from me. 

Just to clarify because I didn't mean for this to turn into a debate of any kind. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's ok, nothing wrong with a debate. I was just sharing my opinion. I would hate for someone else to feel bad because they put their child on a leash to keep them safe. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lucie's List was our bible when putting together our "registry." (We bought our own stuff.)

And I totally see a toddler leash in our near future.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I haven't even started thinking about buying anything. But now that we are on topic, I'm thinking of getting a co-sleeper or something like that. We really should have had it with our daughter because that kid NEVER slept. Also, we had mice in the basement and they got into some of baby things including the baby carrier. I know it can all be washed and I did but some pieces don't completely come off so it's not like I can get it in the washer. So I'm considering getting a new seat/stroller. Other than that, we'll wait and see if it's a boy or a girl and we'll go from there.

• Options
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    louyankey louyankey member
    edited August 2016
    schef070911  Something I will definitely be doing is setting up an Amazon wish list and sending the link to mom's I know. I'm going to ask them to take a few minutes and add some things they absolutely could not live without to the wish list to help me see what they trust and used. That way they can show me brands, I can see whats popular, and maybe weed out somethings I've been told are necessary but maybe are not. Then when I'm ready I can sort through and see what I like and adjust from there.  

Hoping this will help because as of right now I'm still terrified of Babies-r-us  :s
  • Options
    As a third time mom, some things that were really helpful were:

--having a rock-n-play for my baby that had reflux (we borrowed from a friend)
    --being aware of the size of the carseat that you plan to buy. We bought too big and now regret it because it's too heavy to carry around.
    --having a backpack to use as a diaper bag when we go to the zoo, etc. Because it makes it easier to chase little ones and some of the displays cannot have strollers and you don't want to leave your stuff in the stroller!
    --we love our City Select but I can see the value in a side by side stroller. Test them out before purchasing!
    --you may go through many types of swaddlers but I love the Adan+Anais swaddling blankets because they doubled as light blankets for the summer.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I really appreciate all the advice on the registry stuff everyone! I tried to do a little Internet research yesterday and between that and all of you it seems (slightly) less daunting.   <3
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Bought one thing because I had a coupon and it always seems to go out of stock in 'vanilla' - keekaroo peanut changing pad. Excited not to change diaper pad sheets this time around.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Being a person who was opposed to harnesses- Having two 2 year olds who run opposite directions always will totally change your opinion.  I have not used one yet bc usually my husband is with me bc I'm not often out alone with all 3, and I put the twins in a stroller if I am. But I am
    definietly not Above it any longer. 
  • Options
    I am a STM, so the only thing I may need is clothes and diapers. I will wait for the ultra sound to buy the clothes and stock up on diapers when there are deals.

My advice is to buy the crib, car seat and stroller new ( stroller can be gently used). The rest of the stuff try to get hand-me downs ( free), borrow, or buy second hand.  My lesson learned is that most baby stuff is used for such a short time and I wish I wouldn't have spent so much money.

Also, every one has such different lifestyles and so their baby needs are completely different. You really have to look for products that match the realistic lifestyle you live. I really wanted  one of those bassinet strollers but realized it would never be used with a Dec baby, we got a BOB Rev and loved it in on the snowy sidewalks but it is so heavy we ended up getting a cheap umbrella stroller for travel too.

My must have recommendations:
    Some sort of co-sleeper or bassinet ( we got the fisher price Rock N Play bassinet but I really wanted the halo one). This will save you so much sleep in the first few weeks. 
    Halo sacks in small and Medium
    Carrier ( I used a Moby and Ergo)
    A musical mobile or sound machine
    Comfortable rocking chair (you will live it in for the first few months!)
  • Options
    One thing I wish I would have done is not bought the second car seat base (60-80 dollars) and instead put that money towards a convertible car seat for the other car. If you are constantly switching vehicles you drive then the second base makes sense but if one car will only occasionally be used by baby then buy a convertible car seat, you will need it in a year anyway.
  • Options
    We are going back and forth on whether we will need a double stroller.  Any one with 2 kids have any thoughts? DS will be close to 3 when baby is here. That's the biggest thing we have to figure out if we are buying this time around - assuming little one is a boy of course.  Otherwise I'm sure I'll feel the urge to get here a few pink things here and there. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hollieandaaron2012 And also you don't even need the base with infant seats. My SIL is always needing to put my nephew in her car and our car multiple times a week. She only has a base in her car, but just uses the seat belt in our car and it works just as good. She didn't even know she could do that until I explained it to her. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had no idea they could be used without the base!
  • Options
    yep, it is in the instructional booklet.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @M&amp;Max same dilemma - thinking about just getting the ride-on board attachment for our older one (she'll be 3.3)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I couldn't resist. I bought a book today for DS called "I Am A Big Brother". I think we will use it as a reveal for the grandparents by asking them to read him a story and then getting him to give it to them. That is if he'll cooperate (haha)
  • Options
    bwobwo member
    An absolute must before coming home from the hospital is an electric breast pump (if you plan to breastfeed).  You can usually get a free one through your insurance provider, but sometimes that can take several weeks, so plan ahead and try to get it before your due date.  

Chances are your baby will latch fine and you won't need it. But, sometimes it takes babies a while to get the hang of it.  My son and I had so many issues getting started breastfeeding...he fought the breast, so the LC suggested pumping and then feeding him through a syringe.  The first night home was kind of a nightmare bc he was hungry and crying (and still fighting the breast), and I was frantically trying to pump out anything I could using a little hand pump, one breast at a time.  It was so stressful and the double electric pump would have been a lifesaver in those moments before we got the hang of breastfeeding. 

Again, this will most likely not be your experience, but I think being prepared is never a bad thing. 
    Me & DH: 34 - Married 2011
    DS: 10-9-14
    MC: 9-4-16

• Options
    I haven't bought anything yet, but we plan to purchase something large every month leading up to the due date. We aren't starting that until at least wk 9, maybe week 12 (pgal) We are also going to buy a pack of diapers/wipes every week. 

I also have a bunch of books that in going to start reading.. expecting better, what to expect when you're expecting.. etc.

I'll look at previous posts as well, so don't answer if this has been answered already. I've been able to find good baby books for my DH but no good books about the actual pregnancy. They're all sarcastic and stupid. He's curious about what's happening. I mean he could read some of mine but books geared towards dad would be awesome.
  • Options
    @SDSwenson I can't help you out with the pregnancy books. DH mostly just listened to me reading from What to Expect the first time around. But, as a doula I always recommend the book "The Dad's Playbook to Labor and Birth" for the birth part. I found it really helpful and DH did as well. It is a pretty easy read and has all the important info in it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    and sort of contrary to @bwo I always recommend a manual hand pump. My boobs didn't work very well with electric pumps. It was very frustrating for the first few weeks and then for some reason I went and got a manual pump and tried it and got like double the milk. I can't explain why, it just worked for me. So, I think I used the nice double electric pump like 5 times after that, but used the manual pump for 20 months of breastfeeding and pumping. And it hurt me less. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    STM not buying anything yet, but will probably stock up around Thanksgiving to take advantage of the big sales!  We are so lucky with April babies, that we can take advantage of Holiday sales!  :)  We'll be buying new nursery furniture (crib, dresser).  We are debating moving DS1's rocker to the LO's room and getting a chair and a half for his room, vs. adding another rocker.  I could not live without our:
    1.  MamaRoo
    2.  Infant seat (+stroller +seat bases to clip into)
    3.  Wipe warmer (i know, right?  seriously?  I didn't even have one until after he arrived but it made changes so much better) 
    4.  Tons of burp cloths
    5.  Practical clothing.  This was cotton sleepers with zippers and onsies for us.  
    6.  I'm going to second the double electric breastpump, and the hands free bustier.  No way I could have pumped at work without them.
  • Options
    catem07catem07 member
    edited August 2016
    @sdswenson I bought DH "the expectant father" by Armin Brott. It seems pretty decent--I too didn't want a dude-bro-dad book that made men seem like idiots. I wouldn't have chosen to have a baby with an idiot so why buy a books that pretty much tells him he's a bumbling fool?
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestion @catem07 I will look it up!
  • Options
    Has anyone read "The Pregnancy Book for Men" By Gerard Janssen? Thinking about purchasing it, but didnt want to waste my money
  • Options
    @TheJerilu I know you were asking about a pregnancy book for the partner somewhere before.... Did you ever find a good one?
  • Options

6.  I'm going to second the double electric breastpump, and the hands free bustier.  No way I could have pumped at work without them.
    Yes yes yes to #6!  I had to EP for a bit and that was a game changer.  Perfect for multitasking at work too.  I had this one
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I bought pregnancy tests...and I'll probably get some food I like soon. Haha! Seriously though, I went CRAZY shopping before DD1, semi crazy before DS, and just meh for DD2. I'm fairly sure this time I'll hope to have the right size diapers and a car seat
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• Options
    Has anyone bought a doppler to hear the heart rate? I'd like one and a friend who has the same antibody as me said when she had a consult with a maternal fetal they said she'd need to listen to baby's heart rate every day or something (I'll start seeing maternal fetal at 16 weeks and go every two weeks to make sure the baby doesn't develop heartblock which can cause the baby to need a pacemaker. I think they do stress or non-stress tests or ultra sounds?)

I'm not looking for anything fancy, I believe my sister/sister-in-laws bought them for $50-$75 and it can be tough to figure out at first (& might need to to wait until 2nd trimester to hear because it's not a super-duper hospital/doctor grade one). They do not have them anymore (& we have not told anyone yet)
  • Options
    @mokay19

I ended up getting The Expectant Father: The Ultimate Guide for Dads-to-Be.  Partner's read up to the second trimester and was pretty satisfied with it - there were only two questions he still had, which I'm not surprised weren't covered by the book (but I was able to answer).  He skipped over the not-applicable things (in our case this time around, multiples, IF, and adoption, but kudos to the author for including that)
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 28 & Partner: 32 | Married 2014
    BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11
  • Options
    TheJerilu said:
    @mokay19

I ended up getting The Expectant Father: The Ultimate Guide for Dads-to-Be.  Partner's read up to the second trimester and was pretty satisfied with it - there were only two questions he still had, which I'm not surprised weren't covered by the book (but I was able to answer).  He skipped over the not-applicable things (in our case this time around, multiples, IF, and adoption, but kudos to the author for including that)

Awesome... That's the one that I currently have saved in my Amazon cart! Thanks :)

• Options
    @thejerilu @mokay19  This one is in the mail for DH, so I'm glad to hear he found it useful!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I remember many moms on my first board recommended Lucies list and the Baby Bargains list once you start looking at gear/stuff.  I really liked the book.
  • Options
    Has anyone bought a doppler to hear the heart rate? I'd like one and a friend who has the same antibody as me said when she had a consult with a maternal fetal they said she'd need to listen to baby's heart rate every day or something (I'll start seeing maternal fetal at 16 weeks and go every two weeks to make sure the baby doesn't develop heartblock which can cause the baby to need a pacemaker. I think they do stress or non-stress tests or ultra sounds?)

I'm not looking for anything fancy, I believe my sister/sister-in-laws bought them for $50-$75 and it can be tough to figure out at first (& might need to to wait until 2nd trimester to hear because it's not a super-duper hospital/doctor grade one). They do not have them anymore (& we have not told anyone yet)
    If you need one for a legit medical reason I'd check to see if your insurance covers one before buying one.  Otherwise I usually recommend not getting one because they are tricky and can cause more anxiety than they are worth.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    My friend, due next month, has one and she said her husband had to hide it from her because she was getting too obsessed 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022