September 2015 Moms
Options

Self Settling without CIO!

kmcshane0211kmcshane0211 member
edited August 2016 in September 2015 Moms
We made it! Orrrrrrrr it's another phase and she'll be a night terror again in a week. ;)

Either way, I must celebrate with my digital momma friends! 

We tried Ferber 2 nights a month ago. First night, she didn't cry. Misnomer? Second night, she cried hard and I chickened out so we stopped. 

Regardless, the past 2 weeks she's been GREAT! I nurse at bedtime, give her a paci/lovey, hold her/walk around and sing for maybe 15 minutes (on a bad night). I lay her down and hang on the couch in her nursery for another few minutes. She just softly hums to herself until she's asleep! 

Sometimes she'll cry out again so I'll pick her up again, walk/sing for maybe another minute and lay (lie?) her back down and then she'll hum/roll again until she's asleep. Hooray! 

Shes obviously still got a dependency on me but I don't mind as I see it slowly getting better. She also only wakes once at night around midnight for a feed (will wean that soon) and then sleeps until 6:30! 

anyone else notice a big change like this w/o CIO? 

Re: Self Settling without CIO!

• Options
    That's awesome!!! We haven't tried sleep training yet as I don't want to do CIO and our routine of laying down with him and then transferring him to the crib still works for us, BUT I am logging your method away for when we need it!
  • Options
    No, sadly, we've got my LO putting himself to sleep at night like a champ- but it hasn't changed his MOTN wakings at all. Still up at least 3 times and not sleeping longer than 4 hrs at a time. Harder to put back down MOTN without nursing and now that he's standing up in the crib he doesn't self soothe very well. I'm hoping it clicks for him soon, but I am going to try and cut out any night feedings between 1-6am this week (or I say I am, it is always so tempting just to nurse him since he falls asleep so quickly) and hopefully he will get the message pretty quickly that he might as well just stay asleep. I'm glad it wasn't a big deal for you guys, I would love to skip CIO if we could! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are finally seeing success with middle of the night wakings. She's always put herself to sleep like a champ, but in the past few weeks she has started sleeping from 7:45-8 am with 1 wake up around 6 and sometimes one in the middle of the night. When she does need us to go in, it's usually because she's sitting up or is in some wierd position and needs help getting out of it, or because of teething pain. Sometimes she'll fuss for 30 sec and then fall back asleep. I think the recording of DH shushing has really helped with that. 
  • Options
    God I wish. He sleeps through the night but naps and bedtime take anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours :'( he can't self settle at all. We don't bottle feed to sleep anymore (dad would if I let him) but laying him down drowsy just leads to an angry baby sitting up and crying until we pick him up again. I'll keep trying and hope it clicks soon. 
  • Options
    11 hours straight! 

We we got off track and started night weaning for the second time. It took three nights of my husband going in and giving her a bottle. She was waking twice each night but only drinking a bottle the first time. Three nights and then last night SHE. NEVER. WOKE. UP!!! Well, not until morning. :) I got 9 hours of glorious beautiful lovely sleep from a child I was resigned to believe wouldn't sleep through until much older. 

Hopefully, hopefully, hopefully this will continue! 

For us, what worked was a combination of waiting h til she showed signs of readiness (self settling with a pacifier), ensuring she's FULL during the day with high calorie foods (whole fat yogurt, Avacado, other proteins and veggies/fruits) and then Weaning away from mama's comfort at night. Next, we'll wean that pacifier or just dump a ton in her crib like I've heard many do.
  • Options
    We dump a bunch in the crib. He usually on gets it at night so I am not to concerned about it. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012