September 2015 Moms
Options

1 year coming up, can we finally splurge on cute clothes??

So now that LO is almost a year, will she still outgrow her clothes really fast or is it okay to splurge a little now? We're in 2T(long legs and a fat bottom) and I'm hoping that she'll stop growing so fast and get some good use out of her clothes. We haven't bought her too many outfits throughout the year since she switched sizes so quickly. Our system has been 7 tops, 5 bottoms, 1 dress and a pack of socks or extras for the season, i.e swimsuit, jacket, ect. I really want to start getting the super cute things! I just can't justify spending extra money on cute pieces if she's just going to out grow it in a month or 2...

Re: 1 year coming up, can we finally splurge on cute clothes??

• Options
    I've been splurging, who cares if it doesn't fit long lol 
  • Options
    @chelseajeanene My DH cares haha and honestly I can't see spending $40+ on a single piece of clothing she'll only wear for a month, no matter how cute she would look in it. I splurged on holiday outfits only because I'm saving those and putting them in shadow boxes for her room. I'm just hoping that now that we're closer to a year her clothes with last more like 6 months rather than 1 or 2. Then I can get her a nice wardrobe and she'll get some real use out of it. It's the penny pincher in me, she feels guilty if I splurge haha.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I understand. I can't bring myself to buy expensive. Also, splurging is relative. To me Bananna Republic or Joes Jeans is splurging but Gap isn't splurging. Make sense? I don't see myself truly splurging on my son at all! Kids are hard on clothes no matter the age. He will get Target/Kohls/Walmart/Gap/OldNavy/Nike/Addidas for a loooooooong time. I'm already buying 24 month and 2T because LO is off the charts in height and 25+ pounds. They are fitting good, sadly. 
  • Options
    @LoveLee85 Thats what she gets also. Still cute clothes but I saw a super cute pair of overalls and they were $45... I'm just like, it's really not worth it if I'm just going to give them away in a month. I'd rather save the money on clothes to go do something with her or get toys and books. I feel like my LO is average weight and height 23 pounds and 29 inches but she's got longer legs and big booty so 2T pants fit her well but she can get away with 18mo shirts. No idea where she gets the legs and butt I'm lacking in both areas haha.
  • Options
    I've been splurging this whole time. Not necessarily buying $40 pieces, but a lot of regular priced items. Even if they do start to stay in the same size a bit longer I feel like the clothes get too dirty and stained up to buy such expensive pieces. I'd rather have a lot of clean Carters clothes than stained up expensive ones.
  • Options
    @Growingapepper have you tried pretreating the stains with Shout? I've had good luck with having no stains so far using Shout. I just spray it, agitate it with my fingers and let it set a couple minutes and then put the in the wash with everything else. So far so good, and if I remember I look at the shirts I know had bad stains before I through them in the dryer to see if they need another round. So far it's worked out pretty good.
  • Options
    Pretty sure clothes don't last long until they are about 8 ;) I have tons of empathy for my parents about now!! 
  • Options
    I love Janie and Jack stuff but I don't see paying that much for her to wear it a couple of times and possibly have a complete blowout or something crazy.  There are other stores that I've been eyeing stuff that's too expensive as well (Gymboree, GAP, etc)  I've been waiting until the stuff I'm eyeing goes on clearance and usually end up buying it for her to wear next year.  
  • Options
    Check Facebook (if you have it) for local Mama Swaps. Mine is called 'Mama Swap of —" (name of my city). It's kinda like Craigslist, but safer IMO, and super cheap. For example I just bought 3 Gymboree outfits, 3 additional Gymboree shirts, 2 pairs of Baby Gap pants, 1 baby Gap outfit, a Cheerokee sweater dress, and an Old Navy onesie (all in EUC-excellent used condition) for $39. I've scored a Bumbo for $2, and a Rock n Play for $10. So even though I "splurge", I get a lot of bang for my buck!
  • Options
    I've been receiving hand me downs for the entire duration of Sam's life from a friend who has a boy that's seven months older. It's been great, but now they are the same size so no more free clothes! I put together an Amazon wish list and I'm putting clothes on there so I figure when people ask what to get him for his first birthday they can check out the list. So instead of splurging, since that first birthday is coming up, just ask people to buy clothes. People love buying cute outfits for babies!
  • Options
    My DD has been a slow grower so we have luckily gotten lots of use out of her clothes including the newborn stuff! We also bought LOTS of used clothes from people we know. Some of it still new with tags!
  • Options
    I splurged all along, because we get 3 sets of hand me downs, plus I have 2 girls, so they never 'need' clothes. Honestly, I felt better splurging when LO was little, because the outfits were kept nice enough to pass on or resell. Entering the toddler years, clothing will get stained, ripped, cut, etc :disappointed: With DD1 I had some high end wool pants (Sloomb basewoolies) that were $70-100, but would resell for about the same after a year of use. The stress of keeping them in good shape was too much and I'm starting to sell them off instead of saving them for LO. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    All I have to say, is Heaven help my wallet if we ever have a daughter!!!!!!!!! :-) 

• Options
    This is horrible but since I work from home I just have LO in a cloth diaper all day... She NEVER wears clothes unless we go out. She loves it, being naked seems to make her super happy! Quite frankly I was getting sick of her trying to pull her clothes off and the clothes getting totally stained from food all day. It has been AWESOME not doing so much laundry - I have enough of that as it is with cloth diapering! It has saved a ton of money not buying so many outfits LOL!! I'm sure some might find this totally weird but it works for us. Come winter this won't work as well but during this hot weather it's been working great.
  • Options
    vibarra27vibarra27 member
    edited August 2016
    LoveLee85 said:
    All I have to say, is Heaven help my wallet if we ever have a daughter!!!!!!!!! :-) 

Yes! I've realized that with DD till this day we go crazy. Theres just so much cute clothes and accessories for girls!

@laurapaine2003@yahoo.com you're not horrible! I do the same during the week with the boys. Theyre in diapers all day until bath time @ around 630 then i put a onsie on them. Its too hot for full outfits unless we go out on the weekend then they're dressed or have a onsie on. They love being naked,& like you said come winter is a different story lol.

& i spend a fair amount on clothes since theyre preemies the clothes fits them for a longer period of time.  &They will be 1 September 3rd & are wearing 6-9 month, 9 month & a few 12 months(folded) clothes. They last in one size for about a month & a half or 3.

• Options

@bnwillia3 I told my mom I was sorry for everything haha. I have a much bigger appreciation for what she's done for me.

@LoveLee85 Oh my gosh it's been so hard to resist all the cute clothes! She's going to have a bigger wardrobe than mine when shes older.

@laurapaine2003@yahoo.com It's not horrible, I let LO roam in a diaper at home also haha. She tries to pull her shirts off anyway and gets mad so I just quit putting them on. And she will not take a nap with clothes on. It definitely saves me some laundry! 
  • Options
    Shout is the best!
  • Options
    I have been lucky as we get about 3 months or more out of clothes. He is still in 9 month stuff and has been all summer. The only thing he has really outgrown are sleepers. Seems with them he out grows the legs very quickly. Some of his pants have gotten short but everything else is good. 
    I haven't splurged on anything but I am sure I will for the holidays. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012