September 2015 Moms

A healthier smash cake

Hey ladies! Anyone making their own healthier smash cake? I plan to make a a giant cupcake and frost it with various shades of blue, kind of like an ombré. I have found several cake recipes that all sound awesome, banana based and also a vanilla one. But the frosting has me miffed. A lot of the recipes call for raw honey, which confuses me. And some seem like they would be too runny to make a true frosted look. Anyone have an awesome sugar free frosting recipe or a tried and true smash cake recipe? Thanks!

Re: A healthier smash cake

• 1 cup cream cheese
    1/4 cup organic  cinnamon applesauce 
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla(alcohol free)

no idea how how it will taste, because this is my first born but this is what I plan to use! Pintrest gets all the credit. 
  • Usually I just go for traditional recipes and make substitutions. Instead of white sugar, I'll use coconut palm sugar--it can be substituted in a 1:1 ratio so easy. Tastes great. And much healthier--lower glycemic index--actually has vitamins and minerals so not empty calories like white sugar. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Loading the player...
  • Yes! 

Im using banana, almond flour, etc. 

I'm a total no-sugar proponent. I found a recipe online to make sprinkles! 

I know, I know I'm kinda over the top but I love a good baking challenge so it's all good!
  • So I didn't even think of this! But I love the idea of it. I have never substituted like that before or even thought of it. Silly I know! Is Pinterest the best place to find the recipes? And can you dye the frosting just like regular sugar frosting?!
  • Yes! I just made a practice cake to see how it would turn out. I made the frosting using coconut milk and organic maple syrup. https://detoxinista.com/2013/05/easy-coconut-whipped-cream/
  • Yes! I just made a practice cake to see how it would turn out. I made the frosting using coconut milk and organic maple syrup. https://detoxinista.com/2013/05/easy-coconut-whipped-cream/
    Funny enough, I just went shopping because I'm making a 'test cake' to see how it turns out! 
    I make coconut whipped cream all the time but usually with coconut palm nectar. I love it!

• Thanks ladies!! Can you all post updates with how everything turns out? We have his 1 year pics Friday so we are doing a cake for that and then the official cake is at his party in 3 weeks. Friday's cake is outside, I hope it doesn't melt!
  • Can everyone share their recipes?
  • I am planning on using a combo of the recipes on here https://redtri.com/bump-baby/healthy-first-birthday-cakes/slide/1

the the cashew frosting sounds delish. But then again maybe I just substitute like
    @yellow1daisy

i can't wait to see what people come up with! I'm def using an oversize cupcake pan rather than an actual cake. 
  • https://livewholebefree.com/wordpress/allergen-free-baby-smash-cake/

I'm modifying this by using only coconut flour and making the coconut whipped cream for the frosting. I want to make sure the cake consists of foods he's tried before and does well with. He has a lot of allergies and food sensitivies/intolerances, so I don't want to risk anything on his big day. @yellow1daisy the coconut palm nectar sounds great! I'm going to try that!
  • https://livewholebefree.com/wordpress/allergen-free-baby-smash-cake/

I'm modifying this by using only coconut flour and making the coconut whipped cream for the frosting. I want to make sure the cake consists of foods he's tried before and does well with. He has a lot of allergies and food sensitivies/intolerances, so I don't want to risk anything on his big day. @yellow1daisy the coconut palm nectar sounds great! I'm going to try that!
    Really dumb question alert: does it taste like coconut?? I hate coconut. My LO had never had coconut anything. Just curious. 
  • @LoveLee85 the whipped cream or the nectar? 

The whipped cream definitely has a coconutty flavor. Coconut Palm nectar and coconut palm sugar are just sweet they don't really have a coconut flavor. 

I buy only coconut secret brand nectar but usually whatever is available and organic of the sugar. 

• Im excited to let him splurge and have sugar for his smash cake. I mean come on, it's their birthday! I am looking for a non-egg receipe though so I don't know what I'm gonna do for the actual cake though
  • Ok. So I settled on this recipe 

https://www.naturalsweetrecipes.com/healthy-first-birthday-cake/ using coconut flour and agave and Zylitol. 

I made the cake part last night and it was really tasty and smelled great! Usually coconut flour cakes are really
    dense but it was still soft and spongey! I will be making the frosting tomorrow night I think and will actually frost it Thursday or Friday for the pics. I will post a pic of it then. I hope it looks and tastes good! I do recommend this recipe for sure. But if you don't already have some of the ingredients, it could get really pricey. Can't wait to see what you all decide on!
  • @LoveLee85 the whipped cream or the nectar? 

The whipped cream definitely has a coconutty flavor. Coconut Palm nectar and coconut palm sugar are just sweet they don't really have a coconut flavor. 

I buy only coconut secret brand nectar but usually whatever is available and organic of the sugar. 
    The final product is what I was curious about! I didn't clarify that, sorry! Lol 
  • If you can use dairy, you can make whipped cream-works great for cake! I've been using it to frost ice cream cakes through the summer, I just add some homemade maple syrup (yay for country living) for sweetness, and a couple drops of pure vanilla for flavour.

I'm planning to make a chiffon cake, ice it with whipped cream, layer fresh berries in the middle. I'm not doing a smash though. It'll be a proper cake, and she can go to town on her big tall slice for photos.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Im excited to let him splurge and have sugar for his smash cake. I mean come on, it's their birthday! I am looking for a non-egg receipe though so I don't know what I'm gonna do for the actual cake though
    Thank you!! I was starting to feel like a bad Mom, I thought the point was to let them have sugar!!
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • @amp61470 I wish I could splurge and give my little guy sugar! It gets tricky when you have a baby with allergies and intolerances. It's really scary to see him get covered in hives and his face and lips swell up. So I'm avoiding the foods he has problems with. Hopefully he will outgrow all of this and he'll eventually have a stronger system and tolerate all kinds of food! But I don't want to ruin his big day by giving him a regular cake. 

@LoveLee85 It does have an overall coconut taste to it. But I'm sure there are tons of other recipes out there that use different kinds of flour, sweetener, etc. Good luck! Let us know what you find!
  • @amp61470 my son hasn't had anything with sugar besides fruits and puffs. Nothing processed. And he's not really a fan of the fruits, he prefers veggies which is totally weird. So I'd prefer to not give him a ton all at once when he's never really had it before. I want him to have something healthier to fit our lifestyle. And to him it's still going to be an amazing sweet treat no matter what, you know?
  • @chelseajeanene I just made brownies without egg and I substituted 1/4 cup yogurt for each egg the recipe called for. It turned out great. The batter had a yogurty taste which I wasn't wild about, but the finished product tasted totally normal. Yum!
  • Confession: One of the things I LOVE about this group is I've never once felt judged for my decision to (insert typical big decision parents stress over/talk about). 

Confession: One of the things I DO NOT LOVE, enjoy at all really, about parenting in general is the social pressures I feel to do X, Y, Z with my child. In my perspective, the downfall of many people (known or not) having an opinion on most decisions parents make for their child(ren) is this awkwardness and uncomfortably when speaking to other parents. You never know who you'll offend with a compliment or even just by making a decision for your own child. It's exhausting managing it all, so I *try* to pop on my blinders, consider the source and select which input I'll incorporate. When I speak to other Mom's I try to say as little as possible about their kids. 

The purpose of this thread is to discuss cake alternatives for those individuals who choose to do so for various reasons. 

For those who do not choose to do so for various reasons, maybe just keep scrolling on by? If you want to give your child sugar...great! If you want to do x, y, z....great! Here we are discussing one decision that a few of us are really excited about and exchanging recipes to share ideas. It's about nothing else.

Personally speaking, my decision has nothing to do with you or reflect on your parenting; your decision doesn't impact me or reflect on my parenting. 

Let's keep supporting one another. 
  • Confession: One of the things I LOVE about this group is I've never once felt judged for my decision to (insert typical big decision parents stress over/talk about). 

Confession: One of the things I DO NOT LOVE, enjoy at all really, about parenting in general is the social pressures I feel to do X, Y, Z with my child. In my perspective, the downfall of many people (known or not) having an opinion on most decisions parents make for their child(ren) is this awkwardness and uncomfortably when speaking to other parents. You never know who you'll offend with a compliment or even just by making a decision for your own child. It's exhausting managing it all, so I *try* to pop on my blinders, consider the source and select which input I'll incorporate. When I speak to other Mom's I try to say as little as possible about their kids. 

The purpose of this thread is to discuss cake alternatives for those individuals who choose to do so for various reasons. 

For those who do not choose to do so for various reasons, maybe just keep scrolling on by? If you want to give your child sugar...great! If you want to do x, y, z....great! Here we are discussing one decision that a few of us are really excited about and exchanging recipes to share ideas. It's about nothing else.

Personally speaking, my decision has nothing to do with you or reflect on your parenting; your decision doesn't impact me or reflect on my parenting. 

Let's keep supporting one another. 
    Great post!

I would not judge another mother for what she feeds her one year old child. 

We are choosing not to do sugars because me and her dad also avoid sugar. It's not a special diet just for her because she's a baby. It's the way we live our lives. And we'll hope she'll choose to do the same one day but right now we are feeding her what we ourselves eat---I regularly make/made goodies without white sugar. 

@chelseajeanene I've never tried this personally but I've read that flax 'eggs' can be a good substitute. 

• Also, I'll add that a lecture by Dr. Robert Lustig called Sugar: The Bitter Truth (available on YouTube) is very enlightening---and I share this with everyone in mind (adults included)---not telling anyone how to parent. 

• @dmbfan46835 How could you think this cake looks anything less than adorable!!!! It cracks me up that he wouldn't eat it. I make my daughter healthy alternatives all the time and she's like "mom, really?!??". She some how k ones there's supposed to be more sugar, salt, etc. Perhaps from my breastmilk? No clue. 

Please dish here here on his reaction to the other cake. I'm curious!
  • @chelseajeanene I just made brownies without egg and I substituted 1/4 cup yogurt for each egg the recipe called for. It turned out great. The batter had a yogurty taste which I wasn't wild about, but the finished product tasted totally normal. Yum!

He can't have yogurt either :( I'm pretty sure he's lactose intolerant, but he's also allergic to eggs. Our allergist doesn't want us to try dairy like that until he's 2 :/ 
  • @yellow1daisy I've never heard of that! I'll have to look that up, thank you!
  • @dmbfan46835 well done mama! That looks amazing. Ahh, I'm sorry Judah doesn't like it, the little tinker. Lol.

Yes! Please post a pic of the other cake. Would love see it. It's amazing how creative some people are.... I haven't a creative bone in my body, so will be relying on my wonderful aunt to create a cake for Jake's birthday, she's amazing.  (I think she's going to be rather busy, as Liam's is 9 days after Jake's)

Hat's off to all the mama's making their own! 

@chelseajeanene sorry to hear of sweet Noah's allergies. That sucks. 
  • DMB that is adorable!!! I can't bake to save my life! 
    And ladies for the record I wasn't judging. I was feeling like I was in the wrong for wanting to give sugar to little man. If I offended anyone I apologize. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • @RobsMrs77 it does suck! He's allergic to eggs and oats and can't digest dairy. What little kid can't have Cheerios? It makes me sad for him. We just hope he outgrows it
  • Your cake came out looking awesome!! Beautiful pictures @dmbfan46835

Your girl and pictures are also beautiful @blondehairblueeyeditalianbaby

My sister in law is helping me out for my daughter's first birthday party tomorrow by making the cake. She's making a raw carrot cake that she's sweetening with dates. Can't wait to see how it turns out she's great at stuff like this. 

We're not doing an official smash cake sorta picture (but going to give my Z a piece of cake in her high chair and take some phone pictures lol). 

• OMG such a gorgeous baby you've got! Beautiful pics! @dmbfan46835
  • @yellow1daisy thanks! Who would have thought it would be THAT hard to find a dang recipe! Let me know about your cake! I'm always looking for a new recipe :)

thanks @bellarose212! Can't wait to see pics of Carey!  <3 ps- you have me obsessed with finding the perfect teepee now, lol