September 2016 Moms
Options

Hospital bag - Do you have yours packed?

13»

Re: Hospital bag - Do you have yours packed?

• Options
    My hospital has these amazing Italian ices. I ate SO many of them while in labor with LO and afterwards. Seriously looking forward to them!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I get so cranky when I'm hungry that snacks are an important part of my packing. Now that I am done work (yahoo!!!), I get to focus on finishing my bag in chase I happen to go into labor early. 

@frogdog06 My FI has already been researching what restaurants are near our hospital that deliver. He knows that I'm going to want some real food! 
  • Options
    @Sporty1216 WHAT THE WHAT?! You win, hands down.
  • Options
    Most of it. The only thing not in there is the stuff I'll put in last minute (hair dryer, pillow, etc).

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Options
    Is anyone else bringing their breast pump? My midwife said it's not a bad idea to bring it so the lactation consultant can show me how to use it and I don't get charged for using the hospital's....
  • Options
    @mjpatzwa I'm planning on bringing mine hoping that someone can show me how to work the thing! So many tiny parts. I would be interested to hear if others have done this....
  • Options
    RG1RG1 member
    mjpatzwa said:
    Is anyone else bringing their breast pump? My midwife said it's not a bad idea to bring it so the lactation consultant can show me how to use it and I don't get charged for using the hospital's....
    My hospital suggested it! I don't think it's a bad idea. I was just warned there might not be much to demonstrate on since it'll probably only be colostrum during your hospital stay and your milk will come in once you're home
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @mjpatzwa I was going to, but then I found out on our hospital tour that they no longer have a lactation consultant on staff. I kind of wanted to cry. My midwife said to still bring it though and if I was having trouble they would teach me how to use it. And I also have a classmate who specialized in L&D and got her breastfeeding/lactation certification so she said she would come help me out any time I want, which helps. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @yellowrose314 that is super lame that there's no consultant ! They should hire your friend! 
  • Options
    @jbscmama I know! I was totally bummed. I wish they would, she's amazing, she's got such a passion for maternal health. Unfortunately she lives about an hour south of here, not so convenient of a commute that's for sure!
  • Options
    Oh hi, mine still isn't packed. I bought a new set of pajamas that are washed and sitting on top of the suitcase with the baby k'tan. Maybe this weekend. 
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @yellowrose314 You may find that some of the regular nurses, though not working as a Lactation consultant, have received their certificate. It wouldn't hurt to ask for one. (Likewise with pediatricians)

@mjpatzwa The machines are actually more simple than they appear at first glance. The hospital grade pump will work more effectively, but function in basically the same way as your pump. There were some differences (hospital pump had a timer, my models didn't) but they were easy to manage. I had absolutely NO problem transitioning. Bring your pump if it makes you feel good, but I wouldn't send anybody home for it if it turns out you forget it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    sunshinern96sunshinern96 member
    edited August 2016
    @yellowrose314 While it does suck not having an LC on staff, all of your postpartum nurses will be able to help you breastfeed and set up your pump with you. Helping with breastfeeding is a major part of what we do with our postpartum moms. At my hospital, we have LCs every day and evening even on weekends, but they can't be everywhere all the time so honestly, it is your nurse who is helping you a lot of the time! Same thing with overnight--I don't think most hospitals have 24 hour LCs (though I have heard of that at one hospital in my area). So oftentimes, it is just you and your nurse doing most of the feelings together. We may not be trained LCs, but we have a ton of experience and education with breastfeeding support. Also, as @KimmySchmidt said, there may be nurses on the floor that are also certified LCs, so you can definitely ask about that! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Good idea, I think I might bring my pump. It looks difficult to put together (maybe it's not, but what do I know?), and I know there will be more people who can help at the hospital than at home, at least.

I have put PJs into a rollie and snacks in a grocery bag next to the rollie. I bought some chapstick. Close enough (not really)?
  • Options
    For those concerned about getting your pump put together, keep in mind that there are groups/meetings you can attend after too - look for local La Leche League chapters or breastfeeding support groups.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I guess I should wash/boil the pump parts before bringing to hospital or using??? I swear the whole pump thing is so foreign to me!! 
  • Options
    jbscmama said:
    I guess I should wash/boil the pump parts before bringing to hospital or using??? I swear the whole pump thing is so foreign to me!! 
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Mine is still sitting in the box in the closet. I'm not sure when in the best time to tackle figuring it out! probably sooner rather than later though. 
  • Options
    I just packed my bag and also an extra "oh shit, my water broke while I'm at work" bag. It has a change of clothes, clean underwear, a maxi pad and a towel. The hospital bag is in the house with the car seat. The other bag lives in my car
  • Options
    rock1cherryrock1cherry member
    edited August 2016
    We haven't packed ours yet but the hospital suggested we do it this week (4 weeks out) so I'm going to try to get that done. 
  • Options
    Mine is almost packed, it would be ready, but I have no pajamas / night gowns... I bought one that I had intended to take, but it turns out I love wearing it so much that I don't want to risk ruining it now, so I'll need to buy another ;)
  • Options
    I see a lot of you have pajamas! Should I pack pajamas and a bathrobe? If I don't, what do they provide you with.. Scrubs? Hospital gown only?
  • Options
    @Ah825 my hospital only gives you gowns. I just packed 2 airs of yoga pants and some comfortable tanktops - I'll sleep in those, sleep will be super interrupted anyway.
  • Options
    Ok, finally packed at 37 weeks! A few sets of nursing tops, a few pajama pants, a going home dress, a nursing nightgown for the first day postpartum (because they come in and get all up in your business down there, you don't want to have to pull your pants down) a few sleep nursing bras (one to wear during labor, so comfy!), toiletries (don't forget chapstick, lotion, nipple cream, hairbrush, etc), a super slinky comfy robe, fluffy socks with sticky pads on the bottom, shower shoes, roomy crocs to wear home (the swelling postpartum for me was OUTRAGEOUS and much worse than the pregnancy swelling), PJs and 2 sets of clothes for DH, laptop, kindle, big camera, cell phones, chargers for everything. Baby going home outfit (gender neutral Carters zip-up cotton footie sleeper), baby hat, muslin swaddle blanket, etc. Also bringing 2 pillows from home with a printed pillowcase so I know they're mine, a Brest Friend nursing pillow and a bag of snacks.
    + 6/1/11, due 2/12/12. natural m/c @ 8wks
    + 9/3/11, due May 2012. overdue baby born healthy!
    + 8/3/15, natural m/c @ 5wks
    + 1/4/16, due 9/14/16

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    @skooterblenny Good call on the printed pillow case. Whenever I travel, I bring my pillow. We have white sheets on our bed, so I'm always worried I'll forget it. I have some old, colored spare sheets, so I think I'll do the same. Smart!
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Great list @skooterbenny! With my first, I was Sooooo swollen afterwards...my feet were so huge, I had my birkenstocks on the last hole! 

@MrsVoorhees I am right there with you on the ice chips. With my last one they let me sip water (no popsicles given out in France), but with my first the nurse actually told me to "slow down on the ice chips." So much rage. I was so incredibly thirsty.

I've got my bag partly packed, but I'm still wearing any clothes I might take, so that'll be last minute.

Just FYI: I'm normally all about pajama pants/yoga pants, but last time I was so, so hot in the hospital, and I didn't have any shorts with me, so this time I'm making sure to take shorts. 
  • Options
    Finally packed yesterday, a whopping 2 days before our DueDate! And I will still probably go through it again and change/add things today. I STILL need to figure out what breast pump to get... do I Need one right as LO is born or will I be ok for a little bit? 
  • Options
    @SarahNH1 If you're planning to breastfeed, I think they usually don't recommend pumping for a couple of weeks, so you wouldn't need it right away. There are plenty of cases where moms need to supplement breastfeeding early on, though, and the pump can help there if you don't want to mix BF with formula feeding. It depends on your own plans for you and baby.  The hospital should have one you can use while you're there, too.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    In the breastfeeding class we took at the hospital- the person teaching the class was a LC for the hospital itself and she said you should not really have any need to bring your pump to the hospital- unless you had questions about how to use it, etc. but I would agree with a previous comment on that you can get help after the fact if you need it.

I read somewhere else too that bringing an extra bag to bring all of the extra goodies you get from the hospital home in- so I need to grab one of those.

I would recommend a button down shirt possibly for dad or significant other if they are planning on doing any skin to skin contact as well- which was highly recommended for partners in our classes.  Also, swim trunks for DH if you plan to use a tub or shower for pain management and if he wants or you want him in there with you.

The candles are supposed to be good to help calm and relax you- we are bringing some of them for sure.

Snacks are high on our list as well for both pre delivery and to keep DH going as well as post delivery.  Also we have some honey packets too for during delivery to help keep sugar up.  We are also bringing some protein shakes for me (pre made) string cheese and maybe a small handful of other refridgerated items- the hospital we are delivering at has a fridge on the delivery floor and recovery floor so if you bring stuff like that you can keep it fresh.  And we are bringing gatorade for DH and coconut water for me- the doula teaching our L & D classes recommended fluids with electroylytes if you will be allowed to eat or drink things during labor- which I will be up to a certain point.  The hospital we are delivering at actually even said toast or crackers and peanut butter was ok while in delivery.....

The lady who did our hospital tour highly recommended bringing extra pillows from home or if you have a pillow you sleep with to bring that and she also said to put them in bright colored pillow cases so they would not get mixed in with the hospital ones.

We are mostly done- except for what I'm going to wear because I have one pair of yoga pants and one pair of capri's that are fitting the best right now so I can't really pack them yet.

I've heard various things about additional clothing for the momma's......I have one friend who just had her baby and said she just wore hospital gowns the whole time.....I'm bringing a pair of pj's I'm willing to sacrifice to the cause just in case I feel I'd be more comfortable in them- don't want to spend a crazy amount of $$ on anything that has a high probability of getting ruined.......I like the recommendation for the nursing sports bra- especially as my current sports bra is a little snug.....

I think that's it for us!
  • Options
    How big a bag are y'all bringing? I had started packing a pretty big suitcase, but then I started to feel silly, so I got out a somewhat smaller one. My last baby was born in France, and they make you bring everything you might possibly use (diapers, pads, mesh underwear, etc.), so I definitely needed the big suitcase, but here, I'm afraid it might be overkill. 

• Options
    @pizzaandwine We packed a small-medium sized suitcase, but I didn't pack much. I imagine if you brought a robe, pillow, etc you'd need something bigger!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker