Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

New here... TW

I was 8w+2d with identical twins. Originally it was triplets (identical twins + singleton), but the singleton miscarried at 5w. I had been going in for weekly scans to check on the twins. Scan after scan, things were going well, they were the same size, exactly on target, good heartbeats. Yesterday DH went with me for the first time to see them, and no heartbeats could be found. Some part of me had expected it since I was feeling a bit different the past 2-3 days, so at first I was just numb. DH was devastated. Now I'm catching up with his feelings and can't stand having two dead babies inside of me. Misoprostol didn't work - at all. Didn't even cause spotting. I'm expecting I will need a D&C, but I don't want to wait. I just want this to be over with so we can heal...
*TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
BFP#1 - 7.1.16, (mo-di twins + singleton) due 3.15.17
MC singleton - 7.13.16 - 5w
MMC identical twins - 8.5.16 - 8w+2d
Misoprostol 4x
D&C - 9.12.16
Hysteroscopy - 11.21.16 - Retained tissue filling half of uterus removed, blocked left tube, benched for 2 cycles, on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days
HSG - 2.7.17 - Asherman's Syndrome. Both tubes open.
Hysteroscopy 2.13.17 - Incomplete adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days. At least two more surgeries needed...
Hysteroscopy 3.21.17 - Adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days.
TTCAL #1: 4.24.17
Hysteroscopy 5.23.17 - Scars reformed. Adhesiolysis. Unsure what to do next...
Fertility acupuncture - started 6.13.17

Re: New here... TW

• I did the D&C twice, if you have any questions just let me know <3<3

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Thanks so much @Sugargirl1019! I do have questions about the procedure, but mostly I want to have an idea as far as timing goes - should I plan to not work the day after the procedure (I have a very active job)? How much of a recovery is involved?
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
    Hysteroscopy - 11.21.16 - Retained tissue filling half of uterus removed, blocked left tube, benched for 2 cycles, on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days
    Hysteroscopy 2.13.17 - Incomplete adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days. At least two more surgeries needed...
    Hysteroscopy 3.21.17 - Adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days.
  • Loading the player...
  • @weareturtles I am so, so sorry for your multiple losses. Take care of yourself. Vent here anytime you want. 
    Me: 39 DH: 39
    CP 1/25/16 4.5 weeks, developed Graves' disease
  • I'm so sorry for your loss.  Just take it one day at a time.
    <a href="http://www.lightshinesbright.com/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">My faith-filled pregnancy loss blog</a><br>
  • @weareturtles
    So, I was given prescriptions for pain medication, but literally we left the hospital and went out to eat at a restaurant. I never took any medication, even ibuprofen. This time around I ate immediately after, and only had minor cramping (which may have to do with the trauma my poor uterus was already going through before the D&C). 

You should feel pretty good the day after the procedure. I didn't feel comfortable doing nursing work the day after, but if you have a chair to sit in you should be fine. Maybe other ladies can share their experiences so you don't go off of my special snowflake experience and end up with something different.

Bleeding is all controllable with a medium/regular pad in my opinion. Just bring multiple of course just in case. But bleeding is definitely lighter than natural miscarriage. It is more like your period. (And remember no tampons for about 2 weeks, but you shouldn't bleed more than a week.)

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • So sorry for your loss. As for the d&c, do you know what sort of sedation you'll have? I was out, so that obviously limits activity for the rest of the day, and I was groggy a bit the day after, I think. I barely bled at all afterwards, although I did have retained material and ended up using cytotec a few days after the surgery. Everyone has different experiences with the surgery, so I would encourage you just to be gentle with yourself and try to take the time to physically heal, and if you end up not needing it all, that's fine. Also, I was not prepared for the hormone crash a few days post d&c. Really emotional-obviously I was very upset in general, but it definitely felt like something on top of it. Then I got a terrible migraine for a few days, which I suspect was hormonal. 
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • R.e. sedation - I signed a consent for general anesthesia and received propofol, a short acting medication given through the IV. When you wake up from propofol, you should not feel drowsy like true endotracheal sedation. I also did not have an endotracheal airway placed, but only a small yellow oral airway that doesn't go down near as far. (Didn't realize I had it though if course because they took it out before I was aware!)

Your OB should be able to tell you what the anesthesiologist normally does during the D&C in your area :)

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @weareturtles I am so sorry for your loss. I took Cytotec and it also did not work for me so I had a D&C.  I was told not to drive for 24 hours after my surgery. I had my surgery late on a Wednesday, so I just took the rest of the week off work. My pain was managed with 800mg of ibuprofen.  I'm keeping you in my thoughts. 
    About me:
    TTC#1: October 2015
    dx: PCOS & MFI
    IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
    July 2016: Blighted Ovum
    IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
    Team Blue X 2!
  • I'm so sorry.  :(

I'd say you can go to work the next day, physically. Mentally you might not want to. I also went out to eat right after as a previous poster stated. My cramping was worst a couple weeks afterward, and I bled for quite awhile, so be prepared for that. Stock up on pads and ibuprofen.
    -----
    TW: Loss
    EDD: 1/14/2017 : Blighted Ovum : D&C @ 10w6d

• I am sorry for your loss @weareturtles. I was on the March 2017 board with you, very hopeful for your continued good updates, and now disappointed to see us both over here (maybe I should have intro'd myself here but I haven't yet - went in for 10w U/S, found out baby didn't make it past 7w). 

I just want to say that I am in the same boat as you - took the pills over the weekend and had nothing but terrible diarrhea. Now I go to the doc again today where I am sure they will encourage a d&c. Thanks for starting this thread. You will be in my T&Ps.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • fioripfiorip member
    edited August 2016
    I'm so sorry for your loss, I agree that you might feel physically fine but not emotionally. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers, be kind to yourself  <3
    I'm 29, husband is 30
    Together since 2006
    Married 01.17.15  <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• @JAGinMI - So sorry to see you over here too...and sorry for your loss as well! What was the result of your appt today?

I ended up getting a 2nd set of pills and those ended up causing sudden passing of clots at ~6hrs, but then really nothing. It wasn't painful and it wasn't a lot that passed, so I contacted my OB to ask for more pills. They say I have to be seen to verify things didn't completely pass. This is so frustrating because I checked myself out (I have an ultrasound at work) and can see that I still have a ways to go. I just want to send her the photo of my ultrasound and be like - SEE!!!

...oh well, I will play along, I suppose. I would *really* like to avoid surgery if at all possible, but I have heard of people waiting for weeks to miscarry and then ultimately needing a D&C, so I'd rather not be waiting for all that time. This in between stage sucks! Trying to make an appt with my OB, the receptionist asked, "You are pregnant, correct?" ...my response was something like, "well...no, but yes...I'm in that weird in between stage." Ugh.
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
  • @weareturtles I agree about this in between! I was also asked that question a few times by the doctor's answering service and responded the same! Terrible.

I went in and the OB told me I had all the same options still - wait, take a higher dosage of the pills and try that again or D&C. Initially I chose to take the higher dosage this upcoming weekend but a few hours later I called back and scheduled the D&C for this morning. I just decided that I needed this to be done even though I hated the idea of surgery. I couldn't handle who knows how long before anything happened. The D&C wasn't bad at all. Very quick and I haven't had much cramping at all, and not a ton of blood. It's all still so damn sad, but I'm glad that the physical part is done and I will finally be done with the symptoms reminding me of my non-viable baby.

Good luck with whatever you do and please update when you can.

**TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • I'm having some unusual symptoms like severe cramping and passing clots! It appears that I have some retained tissue, which is so odd considering how much work my OB did to fix all the bleeding inside. I passed over 20 clots last night, fine all day, and am starting to cramp bad again. OB knows what's going on, but I think I should give in and get another sono to confirm retained tissue. This is not typical of D&Cs and they are normally pretty painless!

I'm sorry you are going through this @weareturtles . Hugs.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @Sugargirl1019 How are you today? Did you have to go back in and be looked at? I would be shocked if that happened 5 days after my D&C! 

**TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • @JAGinMI I went for an ultrasound this morning to evaluate for retained tissue, and given my crazy clot passing and cramps on monday night, looks like I may have had tissue but do not anymore. Just a very small amount of blood and a thicker endometrial lining than expected post DC. Nothing recommended, and I just wait for the bleeding to stop!

We don't expect bleeding to get heavier again OR clots to pass, so if that happens of course I will call again.

Married in July 2014
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I am so very sorry for your loss <3 

Me: 29 DH: 30
    Married: 7/18/12
    - bicornuate uterus
    - heterozygous MTHFR a1298c
    - sjogrens syndrome 
    BFP #1: 2/4/12 ; DD born 9/13/12 
                               c-section
    BFP #2: 2/3/16 ; MMC @ 18 weeks, 4/29/16 
                               vaginal delivery + evac d&c for placenta 
    BFP #3: 4/6/17
  • @Sugargirl1019 - Ugh! I'm glad that you did the follow up and can expect things to taper off and go away. I hope it does soon!

@JAGinMI - I do not blame you for jumping on the D&C. I can tell that you're relieved to have it be over. Hopefully things go well post-op.

As for me, I spent a great deal of time on the phone with various health care providers people yesterday, which ultimately resulted in me being granted a new prescription for misoprostol (this is prescription #3 for me). The first set, I used buccally and it did nothing, the second set of pills I used vaginally and they fell out ~6 hours with the first bleeding, so I don't think they ever dissolved and took full effect. The third set I used vaginally last night after work, but moistened them with water, which ended up working much better! I had a lot of bleeding this morning and more cramping (not bad cramps, all things considered, but perhaps my pain tolerance is high). I believe I ultimately passed the fetal tissue around 9am this morning. I have an appointment on Friday to determine whether I need the D&C and may be added on for surgery same day if I do. Hoping to avoid surgery, of course, but if I need it, so be it.
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
  • @weareturtles sorry I'm a bit late to the thread here. I'm sorry you're having to do a third round w the pills and that you're going through this. I am So sorry for your loss :( hope everything goes ok on Friday.

@Sugargirl1019 I hope the bleeding stops soon for you with everything you've been dealing w these past weeks. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I followed both your stories closely on the march board and hope you take good care.

sorry we are all here going through this. This is my second loss in four months and I'm just angry at this point. So ready to get moving and stared again. 
    Had my d and c yesterday and reading this thread was helpful so thank u ladies

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @irishrose54 sorry to see you over here too. I completely understand your anger (and likely frustration) at this point. Hoping third time's a charm for you! :)
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
  • UPDATE:

Had a follow up appt today to check to see if I had any tissue remaining after the misoprostol and determine whether I need a D&C.

The nurse I had was horribly insensitive. She asked me in a judgmental way if I have thought about getting on birth control since terminating the pregnancy. My jaw-dropped and it took everything in me to not start bawling. I just clarified that my twins were very much wanted. She seemed surprised, said, "Oh!" and then moved on. I was so upset...

Then I had to get bloodwork done and the receptionist at the lab told me that I should do my 1 hour glucose test at the same time to get it out of the way. I told her that wouldn't be necessary. She kept pushing it and I nearly lost it again. I just stared at her and said, "That test is no longer relevant." She took a moment to think about what I said and then her facial expression changed when she realized what I meant. She then looked up at me and said, "Sorry..." I was like...for real, lady?! Grrr!!!

Despite all the bad, the OB I saw was absolutely awesome! So much so that I am actually thinking of switching to her. She was very patient and thoroughly answered all of our questions and concerns. We never felt like she was trying to get to her next appointment, which was so nice!

And the best news, is that I do not need a D&C because all the tissue passed with my third dose of misoprostol. Thank goodness! Now to move on and try again...
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
  • I'm so glad that you aren't going to need the d&c! 

So so sorry to hear that the lab nurse and receptionist were so insensitive/oblivious. It really just baffles me. Check charts and records before opening your mouth!!! 

Something similiar happened to me when I was going in for my d&c. All could have been avoided had the nurse literally looked directly down at the chart. 
  • @weareturtles Wow, that's unbelievable with those nurses! 

I'm so glad you are all done miscarrying and you can move on.

**TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • I'm so sorry for your experience w the nurse. I would be so angry!! Some people..:ugh. But I'm glad your meds worked and that you can start to heal. Hugs. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Update...

So frustrated and sad, I've been crying on and off all day.

I'm avoiding visiting a close friend who's in town this weekend because she's pregnant and I just don't think I can hold myself together being around her.

To add to that, I had a follow-up appointment today because after my original follow up from 3 doses of misoprostol, I could tell I had an infection. Turns out I had a piece of tissue stuck in my cervix that I was able to remove. That was the source of the infection. Spend a week on antibiotics and then went in for a follow up ultrasound today to make sure everything looked good. I figured everything would be great, but they saw a <1cm fluid filled area in my uterus that they are concerned about. So guess who has another date with misoprostol? Yup, that's right. This girl. This is now dose #4.

I am supposed to have another follow up in 2 weeks, but I'm covering for the other doctor I work with for 3 weeks in September, so I have no way of getting seen before October, which is making me really upset, because, what if this thing needs to be removed via D&C? I don't want to wait until October for that!

So frustrated with the world right now. And sad.
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
  • I'm so sorry that you are going through this.   Hopefully misoprostol works this time around. I can understand your frustration.  I will be thinking of you and a speedy recovery both physical and emotional 
  • The way that nature tortures us after taking our babies is cruel. I'm having a serious anger issue with the universe right now and mine is physically done. I'm so sorry. I can't imagine what you're going through. 

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• UPDATE: The saga continues. After my 4th dose of misoprostol, the doctors decided I need a D&C. They couldn't get me in today, so I'm scheduled for 9/12. That's almost 6 weeks after losing our twins. I just want to be done with this miscarriage already and all back to normal.
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
  • I am so sorry :(
    As for the d&c, I did get put under anesthesia and I have a fairly active job so I think it might be helpful to take at the least one day off, maybe even two. My pain was managed fairly well by ibuprofen and an ice pack. I do agree that taking time off may be beneficial to help with the grief as well. Unfortunately it seems that there is nothing easy with this type of loss.