Weekend getaway ideas — The Bump
2nd Trimester

Weekend getaway ideas

Let me start off by saying that DH and I rarely go away, and I don't consider my question to be a major issue of concern. I am just at a loss for what to do and wanted to get some thoughts/ideas.

We just celebrated our anniversary, and my in-laws said they'd treat us for a weekend trip somewhere. We're going to drive somewhere, so flying will not be an issue. I am almost 15 weeks pregnant and I've had bleeding on an off since week 9. Although the doctor is not concerned and expects it to stop on it's own by 20 weeks, I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy, no exercise, and no intercourse. Although I'm currently only working part time, I'm allowed to work and do other normal activities. 

Normally we like the outdoors and I like to be active. Even though the zika mosquitoes are not yet anywhere near NJ, we don't want to spend a lot of time outside and then find out on a news report one day that suddenly they are here. So I've been avoiding spending a lot of time outside and missed out on bbqs and stuff like that. 

I know that before going away, I'm going to ask the dr if it is okay and find out what I can and can't do. Right now I'm really at a loss for what would do. My dh suggested a resort in the Poconos like Great Wolf Lodge. If I wasn't pregnant, I would love to go there. DH was mentioning that I could go on the lazy river, get a massage, and just relax. With the bleeding still being an issue right now, I'm not sure if I want to be in the water. I have to find out from the dr if I a prenatal massage is something I can do right now. Even if it is, I guess I'm just not that interested. I'm trying to thinking of other ideas that don't involve being in the outdoors or just lying around inside, and I'm really not sure. I don't want to seem unappreciative of my in-laws' offer, but I'm not sure what to do. I was thinking about combining the resort with dinner and some kind of show somewhere, even though dh isn't really into musical theater. I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas I hadn't thought of. I guess some kind of museum would be okay too, but I'd have to see if I can get dh into that idea.

Re: Weekend getaway ideas

• Just a thought, but could you put off the trip until later in your 2nd trimester (when the bleeding will hopefully have resolved)? I live in NY and had to go to CA for a family wedding when I was 12/13 weeks. We'd planned the trip before I was pregnant, including staying over a week, and I have to admit I was pretty miserable the whole time. If we didn't have the wedding obligation I probably would have canceled based on the way I was feeling right beforehand. Personally, I know if I'm not feeling great about a trip before we go, it's unlikely I'll enjoy it while I'm there. 

If you wait until September/October, you might be feeling much better, and could have a fun weekend somewhere in New England, eg, Cape Cod or Vermont. My husband and I are actually thinking about doing a few days in Portland, ME in October. Not sure exactly where in NJ you are, but if you don't want to go too far, another option is somewhere in the Hudson Valley. There are some nice B&Bs in towns like Hudson and Rhinebeck, and you could just take it easy, shop a little, and eat some good food :)

Also, mosquitos should hopefully not be much of an issue in the northeast by the end of September. And obviously it'll be cooler. I know I'll feel more comfortable spending time outside once summer is over. 

1 last idea - if you wanted to do something more urban, including dinner and a show, you could take a drive to another city like Boston, Philadelphia, or DC (though DC will definitely be hot and humid this time of year). You could combine a Boston trip with Cape Cod or something like that too. 

HTH!
  • Yes you could go to NY or Boston and see a show that you would both like. what about cirque? Nice dinner, couples massage, sounds good to me!

i would second waiting a bit. The fall is so much better for traveling. If you went up to Boston you could also head into Salem in October which is fun! There would be no mosquitos either (although our mosquitos in NE are not the kind that pass Zika anyway)
    Me: 37, DH: 35 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    TTC#2
    BFP 1/12/19 - CP  :(