April 2017 Moms

UO Thursday

What unpopular opinion do you have today?

Me: 23 | DH: 27
Married: 10.11.15
MC #1: June 2014
MC #2: December 2015
APS Diagnosis: February 2016
BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
Previously nweg...7878

Re: UO Thursday

• Ok, I'll start. I'm British by naturalisation. I think the fact that we have a monarchy in 2016 is backwards and embarrassing. Other countries that have overthrown their monarchies seem to be doing just fine with tourist revenue (e.g. France). Also hate that our children are technically subjects of other random people. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • ladameperdue I definitely agree. Going along with that, people that are obsessed with the royal family (especially in the US) to me are very strange.

TheJerilu I liked her a lot when she first started up and I was a lot younger. Her lyrics weren't the best but she was young and it resonated well with teenage me. As she's grown up, I find myself liking her less and less. 
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • TheJerilu said:
    @leslieknope
    I had somebody on my list get tagged and do it even though she literally got married two weeks ago, and it annoyed me way more than it should have.  OH MAN I'M SO GLAD YOUR BEING REMINDED TO LOVE YOUR SPOUSE WHEN YOU ARE LITERALLY IN THE HONEYMOON PERIOD.
    Dead! Lol
  • @leslieknope I mean, I do get wanting to combat the hate and the drama that seems to be never-ending on FB, but it's a little out of control at the moment.  Maybe just one picture and not SEVEN?  Also, I never even considered the tagging people part of it - well-intentioned but could definitely be problematic.   
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • See also: Valentine's Day
  • @yaeger07 - I cannot wait to use the KU excuse to go to bed at 9:00pm on 12/31. 

I don't really have an UO this week. I don't like the Bachelor/Bachelorette/any reality TV show, but I doubt that's unpopular. 
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My UO (and it's going to be very unpopular) is that I don't like UO Thursday. It got really intense in my last birth month club, and actually caused a lot of rifts among the group. So...although I'm planning on being an active member in April 2017, you won't see me in this thread very often ;)
  • @STM2017 I can see how that would happen. UO shouldn't be used (IMHO) as a place to express your passive aggressive preferences, which some might do (not saying that's what happened on your old board b/c IDK). Hopefully that doesn't happen here. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• This certainly seems upopular amongst my particular Facebook circle. 

I hate, loathe the "Love Your Spouse" challenge that has commandeered my Facebook. 

Look, I love my spouse as much as the next person, but it seems so braggy to me. Also, it seemed to be far more wives professing their love for their husbands, rather than the other way around. Last, but not least, I hate the aspect of tagging other people into it. You never know what's going on in someone's house, so why risk potentially rubbing salt into a wound. 
    THIS. Omg people stop tagging me. I'm glad you love your spouse (husband as the case seems to be for the majority).. but we don't really care. I hope you love them, seeing as you're married and all. And what's worse are the one's who post are usually the ones complaining the most about their other half. ✋ take it to your therapist. Leave it off facebook, and for the love of all that is holy, STOP TAGGING ME
  • I cosign almost all of these UOs except I'm agnostic on TSwift and love to hate watch the Bachelor(ette) train wreck. It's recently taken a gross turn with this Chad character, though, so I might peace out.

For the life of me, I can't think of my own UO. I do hate those Tory Burch ballerina flats with the giant medallion on them. Is that unpopular?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've said it before and I'll say it again: Beyoncé can't dance! IMHO it looks like she's having seizures. It's not smooth, elegant, sexy or anything that resembles dancing. She does these weird jerky moves and a scary face to go with it.

• @MrsBakes I'm sorry, but that is just not cool. Beyonce is amazing at everything. She is my forever girl crush and definitely more awesome than anyone else. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @firewife86 You are defniitely not alone in that sentiment, and you don't have to worry about folks grabbing pitchforks on this board if you admit to eating some turkey (if somebody does, they're out of line).
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 28 & Partner: 32 | Married 2014
    BFP 7/29 EDD 4/11
  • @clickclackmoo Certainly not an UO with me--but I think it's an UO for many others. And people pay $175+ for those ugly things (had to google, since obviously I have not purchased a pair).
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• firewife86 You're eating turkey?

I want turkey...
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • MrsBakes said:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: Beyoncé can't dance! IMHO it looks like she's having seizures. It's not smooth, elegant, sexy or anything that resembles dancing. She does these weird jerky moves and a scary face to go with it.

JK, I have no real dog in this fight.
  • My UO is I don't get what the huge problem is with using a popular name. Like...if I like a certain name best I'm not going to UNlike  it just because other people also like it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My UO for the week, and my whole pregnancy, is that I won't be giving up my coffee or my lunch meat, or seafood. Everything in moderation. I think sometimes everyone gets a little overboard on the "omg did you see what she just ate"?! I'm even ok with a mom who might sip a glass of wine on a RARE occasion after 1st tri. *gasp* 
    Eh, once I'm out of the first tri I'm pretty much the same. Last time I never intentionally gave up coffee, for example, but it gave up on me from about weeks 6-14, and I just couldn't stomach it. I'm completely okay with the odd small glass of beer or wine after the first tri, too.
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • So, I basically posted this in the Dr. appointment thread. Here is my UO. (I posted this when I was a part of the March 17 group as well)

I think it is sort of weird to want to rush to the doctor for your 1st prenatal. I mean, for a person with a normal history there is no point really. I mean, a pee test will tell you if you are pregnant just as well as a blood test will. I get want to know that everything is alright. The 1st ultrasound is pretty exciting, but I am pushing that off until 10 weeks if I can because then you can actually see a little human, not just a blob. Perhaps it is because I have already done all of this. But, I am not even going to schedule my appointment until like 8 weeks. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • yaeger07 said:
    @STM2017 I can see how that would happen. UO shouldn't be used (IMHO) as a place to express your passive aggressive preferences, which some might do (not saying that's what happened on your old board b/c IDK). Hopefully that doesn't happen here. 
    That's exactly what ended up happening. It started off very tame, and then as people began to become more comfortable with one another, it got really personal. And some people just took things too far unfortunately. So I'll just stay clear ;) 
  • Related to a failed toddler nap today...I LOVE carpeted floors. I used to be an apartment manager and everyone was like "ew, no, I don't want carpet" and would take pretty much *anything* but (I'm talking that ghetto VCT lunchroom floor, roll out wood effect vinyl, laminate, not just tile or nice wood floors). Well DH bought this house as we were just beginning to date, so I had no say in its purchase. Somehow he missed the fact that it had been smoked in for 40 years and caused us a ton of work removing paint and popcorn ceiling. He also didn't realize that in an effort to make the house less foul, they installed the cheapest, CRAPPIEST laminate flooring ever. It's like poorly jointed cardboard. I can't mop it without it bubbling up, the section that we had to redo doesn't stay together, and it snaps, crackles, and pops like Rice Krispies cereal. So.....when my pregnant self went tiptoeing down the hall on my way to pee trying to avoid waking my cranky nap resistant toddler, of course it made as much noise as possible and woke him up. So...as I sat there nursing said cranky toddler back to sleep with a bursting bladder, I decided, I love carpet.

Now of course he's going to wake up anyway, because there appears to be a police chopper circling low and tight around my neighborhood. I may or may not have gone outside in my husband's shoes to shake my fists at them. They were low enough to see me. I'm so over city life. Give me a farm with chickens and goats in the middle of nowhere.
  • Breesy14Breesy14 member
    edited August 2016
    So, I basically posted this in the Dr. appointment thread. Here is my UO. (I posted this when I was a part of the March 17 group as well)

I think it is sort of weird to want to rush to the doctor for your 1st prenatal. I mean, for a person with a normal history there is no point really. I mean, a pee test will tell you if you are pregnant just as well as a blood test will. I get want to know that everything is alright. The 1st ultrasound is pretty exciting, but I am pushing that off until 10 weeks if I can because then you can actually see a little human, not just a blob. Perhaps it is because I have already done all of this. But, I am not even going to schedule my appointment until like 8 weeks. 
    Hahaha - I get where you're coming from and I'm also trying to wait for similar reasons. 

ETA: Just read the Dr. Appt. Thread.  I can also understand why people would need to go in early in they have a genetic disease or auto-immune along with what you mentioned.  I'd rather wait until 10-12 weeks because I don't have a reason to come in earlier and I'd like the appointment to be more efficient - Blood for genetic testing, US, and general prenatal checkup.  My Dr. will schedule 3 separate appts for those.  But I am looking for a new dr. -  see rant below:

What I don't get is why I have to go in for a "pregnancy confirmation appointment" when I've peed on 5 sticks!  They don't even use different tests.  I called to see if I could schedule an appointment at 10 weeks and she was like, "You have to schedule a confirmation first before we can schedule prenatal checkups."  So I have to go in to do exactly what I did 5 times at home?  So then she tells me the first appointment is 12/22.  WHAT?! I'll be in the third trimester then, do you really need a confirmation at that point?  wtf, man!  But this is not my UO, just venting.

ETA AGAIN - I will not be in the third tri, but about a month away.  Numbers are hard.

My UO is that I don't like any pop music or reality TV.  I think it's all fake and put on for a good show.  I don't think it's authentic art in the sense that music and acting should be.  I do respect where it came from and think the history of each is interesting because both came from a curiosity to learn about and understand other people.  It's just gone too far.
    **TW kids and loss mentioned**

-- DS 3.8.14
    -- MC 9.22.16 at 8 wks

• My UO is that I don't like any pop music or reality TV.  I think it's all fake and put on for a good show.  I don't think it's authentic art in the sense that music and acting should be.  I do respect where it came from and think the history of each is interesting because both came from a curiosity to learn about and understand other people.  It's just gone too far.

this exactly!! ^

• A little late, but I let my 7 year old drink coffee ( with 2 sugars and a lot of milk) she wants to be like me and her aunts and shes already 90th for height. honestly I started drinking coffee at about 8 and am still 5ft 10in so the BS about stunting growth is just that BS.

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016
    Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

• **actually more of a FFFC?? so Il post there

#1 DD June 2009
    #2 DS July 2011
    #3 DD June
    CP December 2015
    M/C 8/2016
    Rainbow & Babe #4 EDD 7.28.18

• I missed this yesterday! My UO is that I hate Thin Mint!!! I grew up a girlscout and I know they are America's favorite cookie but I can't even stand the smell! 

*I hate all chocolate mint! Chocolate? Great! Mint? Great! Together? Blech
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • lezdispenser I can't stand chocolate and mint together either. You're not alone.
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878

• @lezdispenser and
    @Neikoda

I hate mint anything....never have liked it. If I ever order a mojito, I get it without mint 

So yea, not a huge gum chewer/mint popper but I will if I think I have bad breath and have found some brands that aren't too bad/strong