September 2015 Moms

Who's still breastfeeding?

LO is almost 10.5 months and I'm still breastfeeding but have been starting to contemplate weaning. I love breastfeeding, but am really tired of pumping at work and now that he has a few teeth, I've been bitten a few times (which hasn't been a big deal yet, but my nipples have been sore afterward). My supply has also shrunk since he's eating solids. I hate to give it up though since it's such an easy way to calm him and put him to bed. Anyone else feeling the same way?
I'm also wondering, which I'll ask the pediatrician, since he'll be so close to a year, do I supplement with formula until then or are liquid vitamins sufficient? He's eating all foods, so I wonder if we can go right to whole milk.

Re: Who's still breastfeeding?

• Still breastfeeding here. I also do not like pumping, but usually only do it at morning and night to get milk for her cereal. I quit my job back in May and love not having to pump throughout the day. She still doesn't have any teeth so I feel like that maybe while we have successfully BF this long. She also drinks super fast so That helps. I am hoping to continue until she is one. 

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • My goal was to make it a year and I still may, just some days I have mixed feelings about it - mostly because of the hassle of pumping  :( I'll definitely miss our bonding time too (although I know there are other ways for us to bond) and it just feels like he's growing up too fast already. Lol
  • Loading the player...
  • kzangs15 said:
    I hate to give it up though since it's such an easy way to calm him and put him to bed. Anyone else feeling the same way?
    Who says that when you stop pumping during the day you have to stop nursing at night? I've known plenty of mamas who still nurse in the morning and evening well into the second year, even though they use cow's milk during the day. I've also known tons of moms who use formula during the day because they can't pump enough to keep up, but still nurse at home. If you keep producing, even just a little, why can't you have the best of both worlds? That's what I hope to do if I can.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • I am still breastfeeding also.  He is now 11 months and we are going to hit my goal of a year Sept 1st :(.... For me pumping at work is whatever luckily at my job its ok.. but I have a feeling now that it has been a year I don't want to start making it a pain in the butt... and well I have recently been places on weekends without LO and pumping is HARD when out and about and now there are a couple functions coming up where I keep thinking with less pumping during the day it would be SO much easier since I am tired... but I go back and forth because I LOVE IT....just not sure if I stop pumping during the day and just nurse at night and in the morning how that effects my supply on the weekends during the day... can we continue? A little lost. Sorry for the vent I guess this doesn't help you but thank you for starting the thread.
  • My LO is 10 1/2 months as well. I am still breastfeeding also. I'm hoping to make it to one year and it looks like we will get there. My supply has diminished quite a bit since she's eating more solids now and going longer between feeds. I have to pump at work and I hate that part. I only nurse morning and night and weekends when I'm home with her. I love the nursing but hate the pumping. In a couple of weeks I'm going to start adding a little bit of cow's milk to her bottles to start weaning her. I would like to go longer than a year but since my supply keeps dropping I'm not sure that will be possible. I may try to keep nursing morning and night and do whole milk during the day after she's turns a year. My first was on formula and when he was a year we switched him right to cow's milk. I imagine you could do the same to go from breast milk to whole milk. It's hard to believe that they're getting old enough already! 
  • Still breastfeeding though not exclusively. My daughter's first birthday is in 17 days so that she's gotten breast milk that long makes me feel awesome because we had a very rocky start.

Right now I only nurse in the morning, sometimes MOTN, occasionally for afternoon nap, and I pump before bedtime. I plan to keep that up for a while longer maybe until 18 months. Maybe until her 2nd birthday. Not sure yet. Just going with it.

She gets supplemental nutmilks, and camel milk as of right now--not formula. She eats a TON of solids (more than me some days!) so I'm not really worried about nutrition. I would let her just eat and have water if she drank enough water. I only give her milk in addition to breastfeeding because I want to make sure she's hydrated. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• I am still breastfeeding. I am down to one pump a day now that he is on solids. I will continue the pump during the day until he is one year unless he day weans himself. I think day time nursing will be about over around 1 year if he keeps on the same course. I still nurse when I get him from daycare(4:30pm), before bed (7pm), And twice over the night. I have recently stopped the feed right before I leave (6:30am) because he didn't seem interested. One less thing to do in the morning is nice. Although it feels like I am doing something wrong by skipping it. He does happily take an oatmeal bar though.

LO reverse cycled when I went back to work but I think the middle of the night feeds made breastfeeding successful for me. (Or that is what I tell myself when people gasp that LO doesn't sleep through the night. LOL). The number of middle of the night feeds has been going down so I do feel like we are in the process of weaning. Just not sure how long it will take.

My day time supply certainly had ups and downs with pumping. I can't wait until that is over. However, I feel like the pressure to make enough milk is off now because he is doing so well on solids. That has made it easier to keep going though. If I have a bad pump, I don't stress anymore. I have a freezer stash or he can eat more solids if I am just an ounce short.
  • Still EPing here! Started to wean off pumps last Tuesday when he turned 11 mos but my body hasn't totally gotten the memo. I thought I could just increase the time between pumps and pump less ounces each time and my body would figure it out. But I'm still getting 20 or so ounces a day right now with 3 pumps. I guess I will have to be more aggressive. I have a pretty good size freezer stash that I think should get us to 13 or 14 mos or so. 

I am going to add organic almond and whole cows milk to my milk once we start getting into the freezer stash. Looking forward to having my body back before we start trying for number two. Can't wait to diet and work out hard since I couldn't do that due to how it affected my supply. 

I am also having some mom guilt. I feel selfish for wanting to quit. But I have exclusively pumped for more than 11 mos due to his issues latching. It's exhausting. I'm thankful for busting my ass on my freezer stash, but I also look at it and think about all the time I lost building it. Time I could have spent with DS or DH.  All the times i stressed to keep DS occupied long enough to finish. Or DH putting him to bed cuz I was pumping. How much extra I had to work from home to keep afloat because I lost 5 hours a week at work to pumping. It's all so complicated. 
  • momofsweetpsmomofsweetps member
    edited August 2016
    I stopped breastfeeding at a little over 10 months. I had enough of thrush, mastitis, etc. I was just done. I've nursed almost non stop for the last almost 8 years and for my sanity, I needed to just stop. He's on formula now.
  • 11 months here. Still going, but barely. I not pumping what I used to at work. I got a measly 2oz for my morning pump (i used to get like 9 in the morning alone). And now my freezer stash is running very low. I'm hoping we can tough it out for 4 more weeks to hit the 12 month mark. I can't wait to start taking my anxiety meds again lol, but i will miss it for sure.
  • Thanks for all of the feedback!  I think I will be dropping the pumping at work soon and just bf'ing at home, especially since I'm not pumping what I used to while at work either.  I do have some in the freezer to bring to daycare and I can supplement with some formula if we need to.
    Hopefully we'll at least make it to a year, then wean together when the time is right for both of us :-)
  • My LO is 10 1/2 months as well. I am still breastfeeding also. I'm hoping to make it to one year and it looks like we will get there. My supply has diminished quite a bit since she's eating more solids now and going longer between feeds. I have to pump at work and I hate that part. I only nurse morning and night and weekends when I'm home with her. I love the nursing but hate the pumping. In a couple of weeks I'm going to start adding a little bit of cow's milk to her bottles to start weaning her. I would like to go longer than a year but since my supply keeps dropping I'm not sure that will be possible. I may try to keep nursing morning and night and do whole milk during the day after she's turns a year. My first was on formula and when he was a year we switched him right to cow's milk. I imagine you could do the same to go from breast milk to whole milk. It's hard to believe that they're getting old enough already! 
    Sounds like we're in the same boat :)  I think I'll do the same for his milk that is sent to daycare.  I agree, I can't believe I'm planning his 1st birthday party already!!
  • I'm still ebf too, can't wait to wean at a year and have some freedom back! Lol, also my poor shirts have like no neckline left from her yanking on them when she's hungry... So fun when she flashes people for me in public! She's doing great on solids so I'm going to just let her have some cows milk instead of water when she eats? I don't know lol I guess I need to figure it out
  • We are now down to two nursing sessions a day, two bottles of formula, and no pumping (starting today!). LO just turned 11 months. 

I plan to wean at a year; I dropped one of the two work pumping sessions last week because I was literally only getting drops at that second session. I dropped the final work pumping session this week since I was only making 1 oz. a session and it just wasn't worth it anymore. I had tried everything to increase my supply, but nothing was working (can't fight ovulation-related hormones!). I had oversupply prior to my period coming back at 5 months, and my supply has been decreasing ever since.

I plan to continue to nurse LO in the morning and at night before bed until his first birthday when I'll switch to cow's milk. I'm going to continue to give him formula during the day until he reaches one year. My pediatrician said not to introduce cow's milk until a year, so I'm just doing formula in the meantime. 

LO is eating three large meals a day now, in addition to breastmilk and formula. He's satisfied!

I am thrilled to be done pumping! But I know I'll miss my morning and evening nursing sessions, when LO is sleepy and actually enjoys it. I know I could keep going with just those sessions, but I'm also ready to be done, considering we'll be trying for baby #2 in December and I want my body back for a few months at least before I'm pregnant again!

• Anyone else worried about their post BF boobs?? I'm really gonna miss these full boobs and I worry they are gonna turn into sad flapjack boobies  :'(
  • Still EBF with a fair amount of solids mixed in here. He still nurses at least 4x a day and once to 3x a night. Was going to night wean this week but he is sick with a bad eye infection so I'm going to wait until he feels better. I have a small freezer stash from his first few months but honestly I haven't pumped for a while. My supply is lower now, but I don't plan on weaning until either he wants to stop or I run dry. Will probably introduce cow's milk at a year and try replacing a feed a day with a bottle of that so he gets used to the idea of milk coming from somewhere else. I may have to do milk during the day soon here if I go back to work like I'm planning on, we'll see. I really love breastfeeding and I'm not ready for it to be over yet! 
  • jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited August 2016
    Anyone else worried about their post BF boobs?? I'm really gonna miss these full boobs and I worry they are gonna turn into sad flapjack boobies  :'(
    Yup! Although I feel like mine have already gotten a little "less full" as I've started cutting down nursing/pumping sessions. They definitely aren't the same as they were pre-pregnancy when they were bouncy and young-looking! Lol. 
  • Anyone else worried about their post BF boobs?? I'm really gonna miss these full boobs and I worry they are gonna turn into sad flapjack boobies  :'(
    What? Yours are still full?! I already gave the flap jack boobies......
  • OMG, what are the going to look like when I'm completely done.  :o
  • heft619 said:
    OMG, what are the going to look like when I'm completely done.  :o
    Lol!! You are freaking me out!!! I keep thinking they are gonna hang off of me like stalagmites and shit. Def getting a lift after the next kid if they look all sad. 
  • We're still breastfeeding.  I work at home though so it's easy and I only pump if I've been away for a while and she not hungry.  I'm lucky because of my situation.  I think I could breastfeed her for a while.  She'll be a year in 2 weeks.  We had a rocky start due to NICU and I had to pump and dump for a few weeks due to antibiotics.  
  • I haven't pumped in months, people kept walking in on me at work so I gave it up. I breastfeed in morning, bedtime, middle of the night and sometimes at afternoon nap if I'm off work. He also has 2-3 bottles of formula throughout the day. I'm just getting over mastitis which made me want to wean, but it's so hard to do when it's the only thing that helps him sleep. But it's a sleep crutch so we'll have to stop eventually. I'm thinking one more month and then stopping. 
    Lol...mine did that and we only nursed for 2 weeks due to zero supply. It drives me mad. My before baby boobs were a dream...I miss them so much, sadly.
  • LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited August 2016
    Man, it cut off everything I typed above!!!! Ugh. Just want to add my DH likes them because they are super bouncy now, hahah! But man I miss my old boobs. I find the most annoying part is I can't be without a bra for even 5 minutes! So uncomfortable. Did anyone else seem to lose nipple sensation? 

Yes - I already notice them drooping when I'm not full :'(  Luckily, I wasn't huge to begin with, so hopefully they won't hang too low. LOL
  • I'm still breastfeeding, no plans to stop yet. I've decreased pumping at work (LO reverse cycles, drinks more at night on days I work). I only pump once on an 8h shift, twice in a 12h shift. After a year I won't pump unless I'm uncomfortable. DD1 switched to cow's milk at daycare at 14mo when I stopped pumping, and she didn't wean until 26mo (nursed on demand at home). 

My supply has dipped, but I'm not concerned, because it's been gradual as LO eats more of her meals, and nurses less in the day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Still BFing here, albeit not exclusively (I've had to supplement with formula since almost day 1). This is huge for me, as I've struggled with low supply ever since he was born. I'm happy to keep going for as long as I am able to and/or for as long as he wants.
  • Baby girl is 10 mths and still breast feeding. I pump when I'm away and she nurses when im around. My work is very understanding about me pumping at work. I'm thinking of weaning around a year. But we'll see how things work out. I'm honestly not sure what I'm gonna do when we're done breastfeeding...it's become so much part of my life in the past 10 months. 
  • We are still going strong! However I will be returning to work soon and do not want to pump at work. I would still like to nurse in the mornings and before bed (and any MOTN feedings if he happens to wake up). Do you think I can train my body to go that long between sessions, or am I completely crazy?! Also, any pointers??
  • Still breastfeeding at just over ten months and 8 teeth! I'm feeling mighty proud of myself!! :) **of course everyone is different & no shaming or offense intended for anyone with a different path!! #TeamMom

J pretty much just nurses at nap and bedtime - with an occasional snack. He is all solids for three meals a day, so I'm sure my supply has dropped (and when I pump I only get about 1/2 ounce per breast in ten minutes), but I see 12 months (my goal) in sight!! He has stopped taking a bottle, so pumping is just for an emergency stash at this point, too. 

Congrats to all you breastfeeding mamas out there! Whether it is 12 weeks or 12 months, it's hard work!! 
  • Still going strong at 11 months. Right now be nurses anywhere from 4-7 times during the day depending on what we're doing and how he's feeling. He uses a sippy cup and contigo water bottle too. He starts daycare in September and will have pumped breastmilk while he attends for a few months and then we'll just send cows milk. I plan to continue nursing when we're at home together for as long as he wants to. 
  • My LO loves nursing so I don't see us stopping anytime soon. She hasn't had a bottle in a long time but takes sippy with water fine. 
  • jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited August 2016
    We are still going strong! However I will be returning to work soon and do not want to pump at work. I would still like to nurse in the mornings and before bed (and any MOTN feedings if he happens to wake up). Do you think I can train my body to go that long between sessions, or am I completely crazy?! Also, any pointers??
    I stopped pumping at work (and nursing during the day on my days off) two weeks ago but have continued to nurse mornings and evenings before bed and it's been working great! My supply had dropped dramatically prior to this so I was barely making anything during the day, pumping or nursing, but my supply has been just fine in the morning and before bed the past few weeks. So it is possible!

(FYI: I dropped one session at a time, so dropped one session, then waited a week before dropping the other.)