January 2017 Moms
Options

New Zika Recommendation

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/89024895#Comment_89024895 Linking to another discussion about Zika because it has some great info in it and is somewhat related to this question.

I saw on the nightly news the other night that the US Government is now recommending that all pregnant women get tested for Zika. What are your thoughts on this? A part of me thinks it's more the governments way of trying to really figure out the impact and not so much because the risk is higher. I plan to ask my OB about it next week in my appointment but wanted to see what other's thoughts are.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: New Zika Recommendation

• Options
    Thank you for starting this discussion, it has been on my mind since the state of Florida officially confirmed the Zika mosquito is here. I live in Tampa, FL (about 4 hours away where the people who were bit live) and I am so worried. I have been staying inside (making a conscious effort to not stand outside much/eat outside/etc) and using bug spray if I plan on being outside for a prolonged period of time since I found out I was pregnant. However, that goes without saying that I have been bit my mosquitos a few times since I found out I was pregnant. I have an appointment next Friday with my OB and I am going to ask if she thinks it's necessary to get blood work done. I may even call earlier??? It worries me. When I first found out I was pregnant my OB told me not to worry UNLESS I had traveled to an affected area, because the mosquitos are not in FL. Ugh just so crazy why do these bugs exist!!?  :s
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• Options
    the zika thing is scary and the US is not prepared. we conceived in Costa Rica (we weren't trying at the time re: zika, but apparently you get knocked up when you stop trying) and even though I was bit by ZERO mosquitoes while there, the worry and panic i had in the ONE MONTH (that's right, test results are currently taking 4-6 weeks due to demand) i had to wait for my results, every time someone brought up zika i had a minor panic attack inside until I knew everything was fine--so I don't blame you for worrying (and of course, this was all 1st trimester when no one knew I was pregnant). from the research i've done, it is really a needle in a haystack to get zika, but you can never put a price on peace of mind, which a test or a high level ultrasound can do. i know they're coming out with some fast response tests where you don't have to send your blood to the CDC, so hopefully things will improve.

of course, now I'm taking a babymoon to FL in October, so I don't know why I'm doing this worry to myself again--but the mosquitoes won't be as bad then. thinking of you FL ladies!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Carly79 said:

the US Government is now recommending that all pregnant women get tested for Zika. 

I know you said you heard it on the news, but does anyone have a link to an actual CDC article/announcement/document saying this? Given how long it currently takes them to do the test, the limited number of locations that are able to test for it, and several other factors, it just seems like an odd suggestion at this point in time without the medical infrastructure to support it. If they were saying this for all pregnant women in south Florida, I could understand that, but otherwise... a large part of the country is not at risk of Zika and it would be a huge waste of money and time for anyone in a low-risk area.
  • Options
    I think it is incredibly scary and I feel sorry for anyone living in a known zika area or an area that will become one. I do think pregnant women living in zika areas should consider being tested if they are prone to being bitten. That way they can at least prepare. IMO, it is no different than being able to prepare for a heart defect.

We recently took a trip and were very cautious about where we went because of zika. We camped in a bunch of national parks and I did get bitten a few times. Of course it was always on my butt where I didn't spray and it happened while I was peeing. Mosquitos love me. I was pretty angry, but I know that we were far enough north where it isn't a concern for us. If my MW suggested I get tested I would decline. By they time we would get test results we would be able to see abnormalities on the anatomy scan.
  • Options
    If I understand correctly, the mosquito that can have the Zika virus has been found in the States but none of the mosquitos here have been found to actually have the disease.  All people who have gotten it have been from traveling outside of the states or have gotten it sexually still... Or am I out of date?
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    This is what I found on the CDC's website.https://www.cdc.gov/zika/geo/united-states.html
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Also, just to mention--the CDC won't offer tests to men unless they show symptoms, just the pregnant women (which is bullshit since it can be transmitted sexually). It's a scary time. 
  • Options
    We were supposed to go to Aruba last week but cancelled because I was freaked out about Zika.  I'm not worried about it here because mosquitos in the genus Aedes that carry the disease don't make it this far north (Michigan). I suppose its possible but extremely unlikely.
  • Options
    If you google CDC and then click on their website, the first thing you see is "latest updates" in regards to Zika. @Wholesome https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0729-florida-zika-cases.html this article from the cdc says yes, the four people who are infected contracted the Zika virus from a local mosquito in S. Florida. 

I am going to give a call to my OB on Monday. I can only imagine they have been inundated with calls today, this confirmation from the CDC about Florida has been all over the news here today. I will make sure to stay inside as much as I possibly can, and wear bug spray if I plan to be outside. What else can one do other than take precautions? It will do me no good to worry this whole weekend. 

• Options
    I'm with you on that.  We were supposed to do the Caribbean this January but opted for Florida last minute instead.  I told everyone we're not doing the Caribbean anymore until we're done having babies or they've got this Zika thing taken care of.  It is scary.  I'm looking at cruises for the NW now but the window for cruises is narrow, you have to have finished your cruise before you are 24 weeks, can't go after that.  Also, you can't go with a baby younger than 6 months.  *sigh*
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    @Wholesome sorry your plans for FL might be thwarted. I hope you find an alternative for your vacation! I am trying to stay positive in regards to all of this because 1) no other choice and 2) I am thankful I have had a fairly easy pregnancy so far, ya know, aside from puking my brains out for a few weeks. But, it is hard not to worry. I hope all of us finish our pregnancies feeling great, with an end result of a happy, healthy bab(ies)! Here's hoping <3

• Options
    That's a scary jump!  Freaking CDC, they need to update their stats page!  That's what I've been checking, not the latest news page.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    What freaks me out about it is that the article I read said they suspected the mosquitos in Florida got it from biting someone who had been infected elsewhere, so in my head anyone who goes to Florida could take it to any state they live in and infect mosquitos there. I do agree that with testing locations so limited it doesn't seem likely or possible to test every pregnant woman but I can see them maybe adding another US to the standard routine to check for signs of defects. 
  • Options
    ^i hadn't thought about that!!
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    @Canavera Thank you for your comments. I went to do some looking and found a recent update that says all pregnant women should be screened for possible exposure at all ob appointments. I am mobile bumping so I can't figure out how to post the link. I will try later. But this is very different than saying we should all be tested. I hate how the media can exaggerate things.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    aishmcaishmc member
    What I heard was that pregnant women in Florida were encouraged to get tested, not all pregnant women in th U.S.
  • Options
    What freaks me out about it is that the article I read said they suspected the mosquitos in Florida got it from biting someone who had been infected elsewhere, so in my head anyone who goes to Florida could take it to any state they live in and infect mosquitos there. I do agree that with testing locations so limited it doesn't seem likely or possible to test every pregnant woman but I can see them maybe adding another US to the standard routine to check for signs of defects. 
    This is exactly how the suspected local transmission in Florida occurred and why there has been so much controversy about the Rio Olympics and whether that will spawn a global outbreak.  The mosquitos don't fly more than a few hundred feet; the only reason Florida has local transmission is because someone was infected in a place with active transmission and came back to Florida infected.  A mosquito then bit the infected person and now can infect others locally.  However, not every state has the type of mosquito that carry the zika virus -- a lot do, but not all.  
  • Options
    The only new testing recommendations I have found are for people in the "impacted area" -- which is a 1 mile area in downtown Miami.  People in the impacted area can contact the county health department if they want to be tested.  This article on NPR states that right now that the entire state of Florida has the capacity to test 6,609 people for active Zika virus and 2,059 people for Zika antibodies.  There is no way the state is testing everyone that requests it right now.  The article also says if Florida needs more test kits, the state will have to contact the CDC to obtain them. Based on those numbers aint no way every pregnant woman in Florida is getting tested anytime soon. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/07/29/487909961/florida-governor-says-local-mosquitoes-have-transmitted-zika-virus

I think "screening" at OB appointments merely means asking if you've traveled outside of the country since your last appointment, and if you've had sex with anyone that has traveled outside of the country since your last appointment, unfortunately.  We are very behind the curve on this.
  • Options
    here are the estimated ranges for the mosquitoes: https://www.cdc.gov/zika/vector/range.html
    and here is a helpful image for types of mosquitoes and what carries what: https://ecdc.europa.eu/en/healthtopics/vectors/infographics/PublishingImages/mosquito-borne-diseases-infographic-view.jpg

i also have been nervous about zika. i traveled to jamaica about a 6 weeks prior to LMP. don't have an ob yet after losing insurance, but will bring it up.
  • Options
    Though the cases in Miami could also have been spread sexually as well. People cheat and lie about it. If one person comes back from Cancun and has sex with three other people in their neighborhood, suddenly it looks like a local outbreak if no one owns up to sleeping with other people.
    Previously PaukMeKiande
    Surprise BFP/MC February 2011 
    BFP May 16th 2016
    EDD January 25 2017
    DD born January 30 2017
    Surprise BFP/MC April 2017
  • Options
    @Wholesome sorry your plans for FL might be thwarted. I hope you find an alternative for your vacation! I am trying to stay positive in regards to all of this because 1) no other choice and 2) I am thankful I have had a fairly easy pregnancy so far, ya know, aside from puking my brains out for a few weeks. But, it is hard not to worry. I hope all of us finish our pregnancies feeling great, with an end result of a happy, healthy bab(ies)! Here's hoping <3
    @nolemama24 sorry I worded that wrong.  This was last January we went to Florida.  We try to do the Caribbean whenever we can but had to change our plans last January.  We ended up doing AirBNB for the first time and had a horrible experience.  I think I'm a cruise kinda lady.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    As a Floridian, I'm a tad bit worried, but not overly concerned. I talked with my OB in length about it and she wasn't concerned at all when it was not locally transmitted, and slighly concerned when it became local. She thinks it will be similar transmission like dengue fever, and west Nile, it is fairly rare as long as you protect yourself. Granted the risks are higher for pregnant women so you should be extra vigilant.

Check your city and see if they will spray your neighborhood or property. In Jacksonville they have mosquito control and a call to the city will get them to come spray where ever you want them. Many cities in FL and neighbouring states have the same. Around here I already see them getting on top of it and spraying community areas. 

A word of advice to anyone possibily visiting Florida during their pregnancy, ask the resort or place your are staying about their mosquito control. Most places have a plan already in place. For example I have never seen a mosquito at Disney (even before pregnancy) because of the natural bug control they have in place. If they don't have a plan, and especially in South Florida, I would pass. 

Stay safe. Put on that bug spray, and be glad winter is coming. (Except if you live in Florida, lol)

• Options
    I haven't been going outside past 5:00. Which sucks. I love summer walks and playing outside at night. I don't feel comfortable using deet, but I have a bottle of 10% in case I NEED to be outside. 
  • Options
    KRB22KRB22 member
    @ThePax89 I'm not comfortable using a lot of DEET either, though I would if I was going to be out for an extended period when/where there are lots of mosquitos. 

Based on a friend's recommendation, I did get a bottle of Repel Lemon Eucalyptus, which is DEET-free. Haven't tried it yet, but it is actually on a list of mosquito repellents tested and recommended by consumer reports (see link below). Not sure if it's safe for babies, though. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/insect-repellents/mosquito-repellents-that-best-protect-against-zika/

• Options
    It isnt a bad idea if you lice in zika prone areas. I'm not too concerned in my area. I live in northern WI. Although mosquitos are here it will be a while before zika makes its way that far north before first cold comes (pretty early). Every area has something to worry about but you cant live in a bubble. Here our biggest "bug diseases" is west nile and lymes (more deadly than zika).i just take necessary precautions and its the same with zika with the add on it is sexually transmitted
  • Options
    @KRB22 - FYI the lemon eucalyptus oil is not considered safe for young children and is therefore also not recommended for pregnant women.  However, I read that this is only because it hasn't been tested in these groups, so it's hard to know...

https://www.ewg.org/research/ewgs-guide-bug-repellents/pregnant
  • Options
    @KRB22 did your doctor OK that? I was trying to find a Deet alternative and my doctor said not to use Lemon Eucalyptus oil during pregnancy because it has not been fully tested in infants and pregnant women. 

• Options
    I was supposed to move to Mexico June 26th to FINALLY have my family back under one roof. My husband has been living there since January for his job and has made some visits home (hence the pregnancy). However, two days before my son and I were to board a plane, the Chief Medical Officer for his company forbid me to travel/live there. They wouldn't allow me on my husband's international health insurance and wouldn't pay for my travels. It should be noted that my husband is living in a non Zika threat area (mountain area) of Mexico.  
    Thus, I'm still living in NJ with my son. 
    I was tested for Zika back in the beginning of June to be sure. It was quite the production. It took almost two days to get approved through the health department and CDC. When I was finally approved, the hospital didn't know what to do because they never had to test anyone. The results take 3-4 weeks.
    So, imagine if the CDC tried to say women in Florida or Zika-threatened areas had to be tested for Zika once bitten by a mosquito or every time they are bitten by a mosquito. By the time they get approved for a test and/or get the results, they could have been bitten again and possibly infected. 
    It is unfortunate that the Zika virus is causing such a fear in pregnant women or women trying to conceive. I'm going to continue to use the CDC's recommendations for protection (bug spray and long clothing even if it is 98 degrees). 
  • Options
    KRB22KRB22 member
    @penelope4612 @AmRe214 thanks for the heads up! I haven't used it yet, luckily. I will ask my MW about it this week, but it sounds like it might not be a better option than DEET after all :/ 
  • Options
    This might be a silly question...  Are there mosquitoes in cities?  And, are they usually more around during dusk and dawn?  Are these Zika mosquitoes "immune" to repellents that don't contain DEET?  
  • Options
    I just went to Disney two weeks ago for 5 days and I can verify what @AmRe214 stated, I didn't see one mosquito and didn't get bit the whole time I was there. I didn't even put my three different kinds of spray I brought with me on the whole time! 
  • Options
    sagoonsagoon member
    JessTy3 said:
    This might be a silly question...  Are there mosquitoes in cities?  And, are they usually more around during dusk and dawn?  Are these Zika mosquitoes "immune" to repellents that don't contain DEET?  

Not a silly question!  Yes, there are mosquitoes in cities, though usually not as many as in the country.  They are most active around dusk.  The Zika mosquitoes are not immune to any repellents, but DEET is widely recognized as the most effective repellent.

Jan17 Sept Sig: Pumpkin Spice gone too far
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    Personally I chose not to go to Florida a couple weeks ago for the Zika reason and im really glad I made that decision as there were the first cases of Zika from domestic mosquitoes reported in FL in early July. Having lived there for a majority of my life, I know it's impossible to hide from mosquitoes in cities or the country but they are making tremendous efforts to control the mosquito population there. The DEET repellents are what is recommended and are most effective. 
  • Options
    I'm slightly concerned, because I live in near Birmingham, Alabama. We haven't had any locally transmitted cases yet, but with that bit of  news coming out of Florida... Idk..  
    We're traveling to Foley, AL(about 30 minutes from the Gulf, I think)  in September as a "DH'S bday/our anniversary/parent's anniversary/baby moon" weekend trip and I'm going to be carrying spray with deet with me, just to be safe. It's still pretty warm in September, although cooler/cold at night, and I'm praying is enough to kill off the majority of those stupid pests. 
    Lately, I haven't really been handling the heat well, so I've been staying inside for most of the days. :D
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    LoneStar21416LoneStar21416 member
    edited August 2016
    I don't have a link because I heard this on the radio, but apparently there will be free Zika testing for all 67 counties in Florida via the Florida Department of Health.There are not enough resources now, so the testing will start in the hot zone and then move out in concentric circles from there. I believe areas that have travel related cases will be prioritized after the hot zone, but I can't be sure. The reporting wasn't clear. I'll link an article once it is available. 

ETA link: https://www.google.com/amp/www.orlandosentinel.com/health/vital-signs/os-free-zika-test-pregnant-women-florida-20160803-story,amp.html?client=safari
  • Options
    Not that I am downplaying the potential risks, but here is what we need to remember- this is simply a virus.  I want to copy this quote which shows how low the risk of birth defect actually is:

"Of the initial 4,180 suspected cases of microcephaly, only 270 cases have been confirmed by Brazil's Health Ministry as actual microcephaly. Of the 270 cases, medical researchers could only correlate six cases of microcephaly to the Zika virusThis means 264 confirmed microcephaly cases didn't even show a trace of Zika virus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Not that I am downplaying the potential risks, but here is what we need to remember- this is simply a virus.  I want to copy this quote which shows how low the risk of birth defect actually is:

"Of the initial 4,180 suspected cases of microcephaly, only 270 cases have been confirmed by Brazil's Health Ministry as actual microcephaly. Of the 270 cases, medical researchers could only correlate six cases of microcephaly to the Zika virusThis means 264 confirmed microcephaly cases didn't even show a trace of Zika virus."

Source for that quote?
  • Options
    Still terrified by all the local athletes coming home in a few weeks. I'm in Ireland now and my family was saying that it'll be global next month when everyone traveling home from Rio gets bitten by their local mosquitoes. I hadn't realized it was something they were seriously worried about.