September 2016 Moms
Options

Zika Transmittal Confirmed in Florida

LakeR2014LakeR2014 member
edited July 2016 in September 2016 Moms
https://www.cnn.com/2016/07/29/health/florida-health-officials-confirm-local-zika-transmission/index.html

We knew it was inevitable but still sucks to see that the Zika virus has come to the US and a confirmation of transmittal has been seen in Florida.  

Anyone know of any measures that have been or can be taken to help eradicate it?   How is progress on vaccines?

Re: Zika Transmittal Confirmed in Florida

• Options
    I think right now the only measures against Zika are targeted at the mosquito itself.  DEET, light-colored pants/long sleeves, making sure you have no standing water (~2 tsp is enough!) around your house, etc.  Like the article mentioned, it's the same pest as Dengue and chikungunya, and those are rare in the US because we usually have a lower mosquito population and better pest control than other affected countries.  Miami residents, if you needed another excuse to stay inside in the AC, this is it!

Vaccine progress, from what I remember, has been moving forward, but that's almost always a very slow process.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Bah. I am glad we are all almost through our pregnancies, though I do know it's been said no stage of pregnancy is "immune" to the negative effects Zika can have. I would think that for the most part, though, a third trimester infection would be preferable to a first trimester.

Guess my butt's staying inside even more than I already have been. I live in Tennessee, which is still pretty far from Florida, but now that there are locally-acquired continental U.S. cases, I feel less flippant about it than I did before.
    FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ******Lurker from D'16******
    The CDC website that was updated on the 27th says that there are no mosquito transmitted cases with in the US.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    Saw this on the news around 5pm and I'm in Western NY. In good news, it sounds like they're taking a lot of precautions with checking properties to get rid of possible breeding grounds. Hopefully if they are proactive now, it will help slow/stop the spread.