June 2016 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

what are your unpopular opinions? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    Still don't like when people who have baby girls put bows on their heads every single day. 
    Not sure if I completely agree, but dang this made me laugh! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My niece is almost 8 months old and I don't think she has existed a single day where she did not have a damn bow on her head.
  • Options
    I hate the saying "breast is best" for so many reasons. Im not at all anti breast feeding, I just think that saying does a lot more bad than good. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Still don't like when people who have baby girls put bows on their heads every single day. 
    My LO definitely doesn't have a bow on everyday, but she does look damn cute with one on!! :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited July 2016
    I hate the saying "breast is best" for so many reasons. Im not at all anti breast feeding, I just think that saying does a lot more bad than good. 

It sure causes a lot of people to be offended/defensive/argumentative.

My UO, I don't feel comfortable letting someone watch my kid at a young age if they either haven't had their own kids or aren't certified nanny's/daycare people.  Basically I want them to have a lot of experience with kids.

Eta: think that luvs commercial where the mom wanted her sitter to have a PhD. Lol
  • Options

It sure causes a lot of people to be offended/defensive/argumentative.

My UO, I don't feel comfortable letting someone watch my kid at a young age if they either haven't had their own kids or aren't certified nanny's/daycare people.  Basically I want them to have a lot of experience with kids.

Eta: think that luvs commercial where the mom wanted her sitter to have a PhD. Lol
    Interestingly, I don't mind a newbie. A friends 17 year old daughter came to work the other day to watch my kiddo for half an hour. She was super receptive to what i asked her to do and was overly cautious. And very eager to learn and to do exactly what I asked (because she didn't know any differently). But the receptionist at work who had watched her here and there while I got stuff done kept saying "I know what to do. I have 4 kids". And when I would tell her things like "she doesn't like pacifiers" she would say "oh, all my kids took pacifiers. I can get her to take one." No, you can't, but go ahead you know it all.
  • Options
    @Lizbeth86 I just laughed out loud. My head is small so when I wear head bands in order to keep them on i end up pulling them down on my forehead and that's exactly what they look like-head lamps!

And yes. It is hot as balls here and she over heats easily. Summer baby was not awesome sauce. At least their immune systems will be a little heartier before flu season though.
  • Options
    I hate when parents take home and use the hospital baby blankets. It's not like they're super high quality or even cute. I frequently see people using them and it drives me nuts.
  • Options
    I hate when parents take home and use the hospital baby blankets. It's not like they're super high quality or even cute. I frequently see people using them and it drives me nuts.
    Well...I would assume they are using them for a reason, one of which I would have a hard time judging them for.  Interestingly enough my hospital did not allow us to take blankets home, but rather sent us home with 3 Halo sleepsacks, which I definitely use all the time even though they have ProHealthcare embroidered on them.
  • Options
    Guess I have to be more specific. ..it's weird to see people that have the top of the line everything but decided to skimp out on blankets. I also use the halo swaddle that they gave me but it wasn't used by 100 other babies first. 
  • Options
    Lizbeth86 said:
    @June2016BabyW you made me feel better about not putting one on my daughter ; ) Her forehead is small like Mommy's so it sits low and ends up looking like a headlamp haha

@AmberLiz99 every time I hear that saying I cringe for all the women who can't or don't breastfeed. And yet sometimes I need to hear it when I feel like a slave to BFing!

My UO is I feel like all the people who said how nice it will be to have a summer baby were wrong. We're trapped inside all day in this heat!
    I'm enjoying a summer baby this time lol! I had 3lb 33 weekers in October and we were basically shut ins all winter until like march lol.

my UO is other people's children bug the living day lights out if me!!! Maybe it's all my years working in the resteraunt industry?
  • Options
    I totally agree about the bows. Especially the ones that are bigger than the babies head! 

Breat at is best....I get it. But as someone who failed to make any milk it created a lot of guilt that I had to get past when my lactation consultant and I finally decided that it wasn't happening and I should just formula feed. It took me awhile to get over the guilt and feeling that I had failed. 

The he summer heat. Yes. Yesterday DS wanted to cuddle all day. I was so hot and sweaty by the evening I really just wanted to put him down for a few minutes. Made me almost wish for winter so we could cuddle together under blankets.  Plus we didn't go for our normal walk because it was just too hot. We are actually escaping today and are going to my parents house for the rest of this heatwave. They have air conditioning. 
  • Options

Agreed
  • Options
    I never put bows in my girls hair when they were little, maybe that's why they refuse to let me do pony tails now lol.
  • Options
    I'm laughing (not offended) bc i knew people would think we were cheap for doing this! But my husband became a pro swaddler with those blankets in the hospital and insisted on continuing to only use those, saying that all the lovely blankets we got as gifts were either too big or too small and didn't swaddle well. It wasn't a battle worth fighting haha so hospital blankets it was... We've moved on now though to use the nice breathable muslin ones : )
  • Options
    @amangels2 wait. Do you mean you don't have air conditioning? I'm both horrified for you and impressed by you all at once. I can't do hot. I can do freezing cold but not hot.
  • Options
    @amangels2 wait. Do you mean you don't have air conditioning? I'm both horrified for you and impressed by you all at once. I can't do hot. I can do freezing cold but not hot.
    Nope no air conditioning. Apartments don't have them here. A friend was going to give me her window acs but the apartment doesn't allow them. Im planning to buy a house next year and Ac is on top of my list lol. 
  • Options
    @amangels2 you reminded me of my other UO... in the books and child safety classes they tell you to keep the room temperature at like 70 degrees or something... ok it's 90 degrees outside so maybe you could give practical advice for the many people who don't have a/c? (We do have it in our apt but I grew up without it and it just seemed weird that they assume everyone does... )
  • Options
    Yes exactly! I hear that and am like okay..... Luckily it does cool down here at night. But last night I had him in just a onesie because it was so warm. Usually it's not quite that hot here. 
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    Nope no air conditioning. Apartments don't have them here. A friend was going to give me her window acs but the apartment doesn't allow them. Im planning to buy a house next year and Ac is on top of my list lol. 
    This has to be illegal! Our central air needs to be replaced and the windows in our main living area are too narrow for a window unit. We have a standing AC unit that works pretty well- got it from Home Depot, it's worth a look!
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    nightwitchnightwitch member
    edited July 2016

THIS. Especially when you sort of assume you'll be able to and then your baby ends up under bili lights in the NICU for a week. And then you realize, after a nurse casually mentions it to you,  that your PCOS also caused IGT in your worthless boobs and there's a reason why all your pumping/drinking gallons of water and mothers milk tea/eating steel cut oats/taking fenugreek and garlic pills are having zero effect on your scant supply. Oh and hey, just for more PP feelings of failure, how about that your aged Alzehiemers-ridden father that you moved in with you last year has a massive stroke when your baby is only 3 weeks old and now you need to figure out all the things needed to be able to bring a man stricken with aphasia and paralysis back into your two story home. So yeah,  it's super fun the way everything is so biased towards BF, from Google to all the literature that the hospital provided and you're stumbling along trying to figure out how to formula feed with no support from the "official" channels and you feel like every bottle you are giving your baby is going to doom him to a life of obesity and a low IQ.
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    Yes exactly! I hear that and am like okay..... Luckily it does cool down here at night. But last night I had him in just a onesie because it was so warm. Usually it's not quite that hot here. 
    We are wimps. We have air and she is still in just a onsie every day. I think she has worn pants maybe twice since she has been born. We have tons of blankets and she will have one on her when we are just lounging around but otherwise anything more than a onsie seems too hot for her.
  • Options
    Lizbeth86 said:
    I'm laughing (not offended) bc i knew people would think we were cheap for doing this! But my husband became a pro swaddler with those blankets in the hospital and insisted on continuing to only use those, saying that all the lovely blankets we got as gifts were either too big or too small and didn't swaddle well. It wasn't a battle worth fighting haha so hospital blankets it was... We've moved on now though to use the nice breathable muslin ones : )
    This was me with my first. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to swaddle her in any other type of blanket. Once I got some sleep sacks I was ok with that but for the first couple weeks I did use a couple from the hospital. 
  • Options
    We took one of the blankets from the hospital home so our dog could sniff it and smell our son's scent before we brought him home. We don't use it now, but it's a perfectly fine blanket.

I have a son, but I think those huge bows on little girl babies look ridiculous also.

• Options
    ashkee05ashkee05 member
    edited July 2016
    @AmberLiz99 agreed!! FED IS BEST!!!

@June2016BabyW also agreed!! If I ever have a girl she will not wear bows or flowers lol

my uo is: I don't know why it bothers me when parents split the kids. Will only take one out, ALL the time. Why have another If you can't go out with both of them?! Yes, I know sometimes it makes life easier but when it's all the time I just don't understand! 
    nws
  • Options
    ashkee05 said:
    @AmberLiz99 agreed!! FED IS BEST!!!

@June2016BabyW also agreed!! If I ever have a girl she will not wear bows or flowers lol

my uo is: I don't know why it bothers me when parents split the kids. Will only take one out, ALL the time. Why have another If you can't go out with both of them?! Yes, I know sometimes it makes life easier but when it's all the time I just don't understand! 
    Yup. I have a couple friends with 2 or 3 kids and their husbands never watch all the kids at the same time. I also have a friend who will only bring her older girl to things if there is someone to watch the baby, and the other way around. I don't get it. Is it harder to manage all three kids? Absolutely! Do I sometimes enjoy just having one or two? Sure. But they are my kids, and they are pretty awesome human beings. I would be missing out if I split them up all the time, and they wouldn't have the opportunity to form as close relationships with each other either. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @huskypuppy14 we did the same thing with our dogs.
  • Options
    @AmberLiz99 yess!!!! I have one friend who has never been out with both of hers. And they are 4/6. She always splits them up. And almost all my plans are kid friendly as I am not really one go go out with out my kids very much but she'll never bring both of them when I know both of them would be having a blast! Things that make you go hmmmm. Lol 
    nws
  • Options
    I'd rather have both kids at once so DH and I can both get some downtime alone. If your gonna have one might as well take them all.