August 2016 Moms
Options

VBAC mamas

How far past your due date is your provider willing to let you go before intervention?
DD  <3 6/15/2014
Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

Re: VBAC mamas

• Options
    If I make it to 39 weeks, I'm having a RCS. If I go before, I'm attempting a VBAC. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @ebilbao Is that your doc's protocol or was it your decision?  I haven't talked about this yet with my dr, so I'm curious to find out what others are doing first before I bite the bullet.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    They will let me go to over 41.  My OB is extremely pro-Vbac so that may be the reason.  My brother is getting married when I am 41 weeks 3 days so she said that we would try to induce after the wedding. If I'm not dilated by then, I will end up with another section.  Since some forms of induction are contraindicated for previous c-sections, I have to be dilated in order to attempt an induction.  I will only attempt induction if I don't go on my own. My OB said we could attempt induction (if dilated) after 40 weeks. 
  • Options
    My plan is exactly like @ebilbao's. C-section scheduled at 39+1. If something happens prior to that point, I'm open to a VBAC. We start cervical checks next week at 37 weeks so I'm interested to see if I've made any progress down there. I never dialated with DD but my water broke at 38+3. Delivered c-section because she was breech. 
    Baby #1: Palmer Olivia - October 2014
    Baby #2: Emmeline Grey - August 2016
    Baby #3: BFP 9/7/18  |  EDD 05/24/19
  • Options
    I'm scheduled for 39+1 but if this baby is as small as we've been told then I don't want unnecessary surgery.  I'm debating whether I should call my OB our just wait to talk in person next Tuesday.  If I don't go into labor on my own then I want the c-section, I want nothing to do with being induced again, that was pure misery, but if I go on my own I want to at least try.  My mom didn't seem to understand why I would want to take this route vs just sticking with my planned c-section....She never had a c-section so I feel like she really can't make that call just for lack of experience.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    I also wish they would have done a cervix check this week at my appt but they didn't.  They just felt for his head and said it was still way up high.  I was 37+4 the day of my appt, 38w today.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    @SkiChic626 I wonder why they didn't offer it to you since you're getting pretty close to the end. I thought a baby was going to fall out of me 2 weeks ago so my dr offered to do it, even though it was super early at 34 weeks, to reassure me that everything was fine. As much as I hate getting them done (they are super painful for me), I will usually say yes just for some peace of mind. 
  • Options
    If you aren't sure of your doctor's thoughts on vbacs then I would probably call.  My plan was to avoid induction and either go on my own or c-section, but after talking with my OB I'm open to a couple things to try and get labor going. Unlike my previous thoughts I would be okay with pitocin to trigger labor but I will not go through an entire labor on pitocin.  I'm really just hoping I go on my own and early so I don't have to make these decisions.  
  • Options
    @justaudrey I think it's probably because at that point I hadn't had the growth scan and was still very much a scheduled c-section, so maybe to them it's moot (unless I'm actually in labor, of course) - just speculating because I didn't actually ask why the didn't do it.  It also could be because they did my GBS that day, so maybe they didn't want to do both....idk.   I was 3cm dilated and 70% effaced at 38w last time but DD was still way up high nowhere near dropping, so it didn't indicate anything.  I'm definitely going to ask next week when I go, though, especially given what's changed since Monday.  It's painful for me, too, but I want to know.  I have contractions NONSTOP, and it's been happening for weeks now, so I can't imagine that they're not doing anything.

@Sekerambo I did ask once about vbac several months ago just in passing, because at that point there was no doubt in my mind I was going to have a RCS, and it was to the doc who owns the practice, I see his partner as my regular OB, though.  He said if I got to 40+1 without labor then they'd do the c-section, but I never asked my regular OB what her thoughts were.  And that was weeks ago as just a general question, not specific to me and my pregnancy, so I'm sure the answer could be different.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    @SkiChic626 my OB offered to do it and the GBS test on the same visit. She said she might as well since she's already down there lol Going from a baby that never dropped to a baby that has been head down the entire time is quite a difference. The pressure in my pelvis this time around is so intense. 

She did mention that they don't normally do cervical checks as often or push the checks if you are a RCS. Each practice is so different though.  
  • Options
    She did mention that they don't normally do cervical checks as often or push the checks if you are a RCS. Each practice is so different though.  
    This is kinda what I figured....
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    lblu43lblu43 member
    They won't let me go past 40, so our C is scheduled for next Thurs. Im 38wk2d today, and have had prodomal labor for 3 wks. 3 False alarm trips, now 2 cm dilated. I really didn't want surgery and had my heart set on a Vbac.  

This weekend is going to be long. So far peanut is in great shape, but I am anxious of this risks for RCS.
  • Options
    It's my decision. I have a short interval between pregnancies, but they offered to let me do a VBAC. I asked what was safest and they said a repeat section, so in a kind of compromise, we came up with attempting a VBAC pre-RCS should I go into labor, or just go for the RCS at 39 weeks. I may still chicken out and go for a RCS if I go into labor! 
    BabyFruit Ticker