January 2016 Moms

Refusing before bed bottle

Ok so my LO last night and tonight is refusing her bottle before bed. It's the only bottle she refuses. She usually gets 4 8oz bottles a day. Yesterday and today she's only had 3 bottles. She also gets solids twice a day, breakfast and dinner. Her usual schedule is she gets a bottle at 4:00pm then she has a solid at about 6:00pm, bottle at 8 then bed at 830. But she flips out when I try to feed her at 8. I'm totally stumped to why she all of a sudden is turning this bottle down.. 

Re: Refusing before bed bottle

• That's really interesting. I haven't had the same problem but I know my babies pediatrician said with introducing solids their intake can decrease a little which is normal but to make sure it doesn't go below 24OZ a day or else you need to cut back on amount of solids (to ensure they are getting enough of the good stuff) But it seems like it's far enough away from bottle time she should be hungry enough to eat. So I guess I'm really no help at all :( did she sleep well even though refusing the last bottle?
  • KFrobKFrob member
    Sometimes if my LO is over tired when I try to feed her she'll either do this thing where she arches her back and fusses (like she's trying to wiggle and flip over) or get all cranky and turn her head away from the bottle, she just wants to go to sleep. Maybe she needs a schedule shift, try feeding her earlier? 
  • Loading the player...
  • That's really interesting. I haven't had the same problem but I know my babies pediatrician said with introducing solids their intake can decrease a little which is normal but to make sure it doesn't go below 24OZ a day or else you need to cut back on amount of solids (to ensure they are getting enough of the good stuff) But it seems like it's far enough away from bottle time she should be hungry enough to eat. So I guess I'm really no help at all :( did she sleep well even though refusing the last bottle?
    She's not really a great sleeper in general but considering the fact that she didn't have a bottle since 4 she only stirred and whined a few times, nothing that the pacifier couldn't fix. She didn't wake asking for a MOTN bottle. They go through so many different phases! Last night she only had 2oz before bed. Tonight she had a half ounce lol 
  • @kfrob maybe you're right. Maybe I need to put her on a semi earlier schedule? She goes down with no problem after refusing this bottle. I thought maybe she's cutting out a bottle? So confusing lol 
  • My LO did that for 4 straight nights about a week ago. I think he was overtired and not very hungry from getting solids at dinner. After a couple of nights, he started taking his bedtime bottle again with no problem. He was working on 3 new teeth at that time, so that may have had something to do with it as well!
  • @mestokes I thought that teething had something to do with it as well. I actually gave her teething tablets thinking that would help but it didn't make a difference, she still turned the bottle down. How many ounces is he getting? 
  • Ugh babies are so mysterious and confusing!! My LO out of nowhere refused the bottle, will only eat if it's from my boobs. It's been 3 weeks now, but I hope it's just a phase. If only they could let us know what's going on!  So sorry, no advice. If shes not upset about the missed feeding though, hopefully it's a phase and will go back to normal soon. 
  • @JanuarysBaby1 he has reflux, so has never taken very much milk at a time - usually only 4-5 ounces. If I could get him to eat more at one time, maybe he would start sleeping a little better at night!
  • We are in a similar situation. LO was eating a max of 32oz of formula a day and then he started solids. We're down to 26oz a day with 2 solids feeding. He started refusing an oz per daytime bottle and we had to lengthen the time between bottle 3 and bottle 4 just to get him to finish bottle 4. Try cutting back an oz from the 2 day time bottles and see if that helps with the bed time bottle? The big thing is total oz per day, not necessarily when they get those oz. 

Our schedule is: breakfast 7oz, lunch 6oz, fruit and oatmeal, dinner 6oz, veggie, bedtime 7oz. 
  • @Becky012016 you're totally right. I spoke to her pediatrician this morning out of curiosity and she said that it's totally normal at this age for her to cut out a bottle (she's 6 1/2 months). She said as long as she's getting 24oz a day plus solids is fine. So I guess I'll keep her on the same schedule now which is breakfast 8oz & a fruit about an hour later, lunch 8oz and im going to start adding a yogurt to lunchtime then dinner 8oz and a veggie.