September 2016 Moms
Options

What are you wearing for labor?

2»

Re: What are you wearing for labor?

• Options
    @RedMar I don't care about pooping while pushing, I'm just wondering why they were so discreet when they replaced my puppy pad while I was laboring...do people sometimes poop then? They just moved it like I shouldn't see it. 
  • Options
    @MrsVoorhees I could be wrong, but they probably didn't want you to see the blood more than it being a poop issue. Some people can't stand the sight of blood. Or I could see, if it seems like it's a lot, it scaring the mother.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wore a special gown that I ordered last time. It was definitely unnecessary, but I got tons of compliments from the nurses, and it made those first few pics after birth look a little better! I'm debating whether to get one this time, as well.

Im pretty sure I was braless last time because I don't remember nursing being an issue. But now that I have saggjng post-partum boobs, I'm thinking I'll want a nursing bra!

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • Options
    RedMarRedMar member
    @MrsVoorhees they definitely changed my pad multiple times as well. I also think it's for sanitary purposes, to keep things as clean as possible for baby and mom. Although my son pooped right on me as soon as he was born #welcometomotherhood lol
  • Options
    I feel like I wasn't given an option either. They just handed me the gown and said ok take everything off and put this on. It was a little uncomfortable with my first since I labored at the hospital for like 9 hours. But I didn't really care. I did get cold a couple times and they gave me some heated towels. I hope everyone gets good nurses! Mine were amazing and I loved them! 
    Im shocked I haven't pooped while pushing. Apparently my body seems to clear out before labor. 
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • Options

I wore a gigantic althetic shirt from a "Run for Your Lives" zombie 5k for a portion of labor. With a sports bra. But eventually I switched to the gown because I got really, really hot.

That shirt is comfortable AF. Would wear again.
    I ran that race back in 2013!
    I ran in 2012 in philly.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @KimmySchmidt - that's impressive!  Honestly, I don't know how I could have pushed and NOT pooped so more props to you! But why was the nurse getting on you about not doing it?  What's the big deal if you don't?
  • Options
    I don't *think* I pooped during pushing either, but I also had an explosion poop right after contractions started. 
  • Options
    I don't *think* I pooped during pushing either, but I also had an explosion poop right after contractions started. 
    Me, too! Well, really, my water broke with no contractions and the contractions started right after the big poop. But close enough. 

• Options
    @RedMar I don't care about pooping while pushing, I'm just wondering why they were so discreet when they replaced my puppy pad while I was laboring...do people sometimes poop then? They just moved it like I shouldn't see it. 
    With my first, I was just laying there during labor, not pushing, and the nurse changed my pad and wiped my ass.  I asked her if I had just pooped, because I felt nothing and she confirmed that I had.  She said the pressure of the baby's head descending will cause you to poop involuntarily.  Just something else to look forward to!
  • Options
    BibliobebeBibliobebe member
    edited July 2016
    I plan on staying at home through early labor so I'll wear whatever I want, probably stretchy pants and a non-tight shirt.

For later stages when I have to be at the clinic I'm going to buy one of those pretty labor gowns from Etsy and wear a nursing bra underneath. Since I won't be (hopefully, if everything continues to go well) giving birth at a hospital, then the hospital gowns aren't an option and I hate those things anyway. I have serious issues with "public use" fabric, I don't care how many times it's been washed.

I thought about buying a labor skirt but I'm not sold on it quite yet... I'd like to be fully covered since I plan on being (and have been encouraged to be by nurses) moving around and utilizing pain relief positions (such as the Miles Circuit) through 98% of labor.

Water birth is an option, which I'm not sure I'll use yet, but if I do then I plan on looking the goddess in only a nursing bra. Woot woot!

Edit: I'm not buying the pretty gown in an effort to look glamorous during birth. I don't give a flying flip about how cute I look while trying to give a child life, but being comfy in my OWN stuff is essential to me, even if it gets ruined and has to be thrown out after.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ashtasht member
    They may have just been changing it from your water.
  • Options
    I plan on wearing a sleep nursing bra and the hospital gown. Towards the end I didn't care who saw what but at the beginning I definitely was more comfortable wearing a bra. 
  • Options
    ElcaB said:
    I wore a gigantic althetic shirt from a "Run for Your Lives" zombie 5k for a portion of labor. With a sports bra. But eventually I switched to the gown because I got really, really hot.

@runningisrad & @KimmySchmidt, I came down here to say that, too! I ran it in 2013 & 2014. So much fun! I survived the first year and died the second. 

I will probably wear a sleep nursing bra --- I'm not doing a water birth, but I expect I will be in the tub a lot during labor. It's the bottoms that I'm trying to figure out. I'm not worried about modesty with the staff, but I'd like to have my mom & MIL in there some of the time. I don't really want to flash my vag at them, especially MIL. 
    ElcaB said:

@runningisrad & @KimmySchmidt, I came down here to say that, too! I ran it in 2013 & 2014. So much fun! I survived the first year and died the second. 

I will probably wear a sleep nursing bra --- I'm not doing a water birth, but I expect I will be in the tub a lot during labor. It's the bottoms that I'm trying to figure out. I'm not worried about modesty with the staff, but I'd like to have my mom & MIL in there some of the time. I don't really want to flash my vag at them, especially MIL. 
    ElcaB said:

They are going to check often and putting on/removing underwear while you're progressing would probably be a big hassle. There may also be leaking fluids. I would suggest that if you're worried about flashing them just kindly ask them to step out during checks. But then again I'm also a FTM and haven't been in this situation before. :)
  • Options
    Sorry! Not sure why that quoted you multiple times.
  • Options
    I only wore the hospital gown... it will get dirty and stained so I prefer to do the messy job with the hospital clothes and once I can take a shower, then I change to my own comfy clothes.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker