October 2016 Moms
Options

What to wear after delivery?

any sites or suggestion on stylish pajama /robe sets to wear in hospital? I would love to find something that I could match with baby receiving gown 

Re: What to wear after delivery?

• Options
    I bought matching robes for me and baby on etsy! 
  • Options
    I bought cheap zip-front short sleeved gowns to wear in hospital after the birth, in black. I'm going to probably wear plain black pajama pants (nice enough that I can wear them to work - they are just black knit pants) and a t-shirt there and on the way home. It's not far either way and I don't expect an entourage. Or many visitors in the hospital.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    F47F47 member
    I packed a few nursing tops when I went to the hospital to give birth to DS. He was born in the late evening, and I couldn't move for a long time because my epi took FOREVER to wear off. So, for the first 12-15 hours I was in the hospital gown.

Once I was showered, I wore nursing tanks and yoga pants. I'm not really a nightgown person. When I didn't have company, I usually just wore my underwear and nursing tank. I was covered up by blankets, anyway.

I love the idea of having a cute robe, but I know me. I'm never going to order one... lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I want to wear pants but was wondering if I needed a nightgown in case the lady parts need to be checked. Is that something that happens or do they pretty much leave the vag alone after delivery/stitching?

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    MRSCORKER said:
    I want to wear pants but was wondering if I needed a nightgown in case the lady parts need to be checked. Is that something that happens or do they pretty much leave the vag alone after delivery/stitching?
    If you have any stitching, they will want to check the site. Not often, but probably at least once a shift (every 12 hours). Likewise, if you have a cesarean, they'll also want to check that site. They'll probably rely on your report of how many pads you are soaking and how much bleeding you're having, so they won't need to check that.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    I ordered a pajama set in a size bigger for extra room and a nice, long hooded robe. I'll bring some nursing tanks tops and bras with me and extra black yoga pants or men's pajama bottoms. Definitely all in dark colors. And slippers.  :)

Oh and grannie panties!!  :p
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married 11-11-11
    TTC only since Dec 2015. I had some weight to get off. Been working hard in the gym for over a year.
    BFP 02-15-16 with our first
    IT'S A BOY!!! 

• Options
    cbamama641cbamama641 member
    edited July 2016
    I'm a yoga pants/tank top wearer :)
    In our facility, we check our moms 4-6 hours after, 7-12 hours after, and then once a shift until discharge, and that's a check of where your uterus is and how your bleeding looks. :) 
  • Options
    Pink Blush has really pretty robes.
    Me: 31
    DH: 32

Married: Sep 2012
    TTC #1: Jan 2015
    Baby A (via IUI due to MFI): Sep 2016 born at 35+6

Surprise but very welcome + on 5/16/2019, EDD 1/25/2020
  • Options
    serenaxo84serenaxo84 member
    edited July 2016
    I bought a few cotton robes for the hospital. Easy access for breastfeeding and I felt covered up and good for when we had visitors... I also remembering being hot! I had a c section so pants really weren't on my mind. 

Make sure you bring your nursing bras! My hospital had breast pads too but I will prob bring a few just in case. My milk came in while in the hospital and I was leaking everywhere!

edit I also loved the hospital underwear. But I did like having my own pads that weren't so bulky! 
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited July 2016
    I ordered a Pink Blush robe and will be returning it. The material wasn't soft at all and I feel like I just need some soft and forgiving things to wear PP. it was a very pretty robe though 

eta- I found a soft cotton robe at Motherhood Maternity that is plain but I got a size too big so it easily wraps up well and is super soft
  • Options
    I found a ton of robes and nightgowns at the destination maternity warehouse sale I went to last wkend. for 2 dollars. lol
  • Options
    +1 for *black* yoga pants & nursing tanks. Generously sized black yoga pants, with stretchy hospital granny panties underneath hiding the biggest pads you've ever seen. 

You guise believe me, buying pretty stuff for when you're postpartum...you won't believe the amount of fluids coming out of you. 
    I kept thinking maybe I'm a heavy bleeder or something. :D  I can't imagine putting anything of my own on until I'm ready to go home and even then, it's yoga pants and a t shirt. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

I bought a cute hospital gown from Etsy that I plan on wearing after. It has snaps for nursing, and all the way up the back in case they need to et quick access somewhere. I know it's probably not the most practical, but I want to feel somewhat cute when people are coming to see me and I'm wearing a diaper lol I got one for my friend who had her baby in March and she wore it for the whole stay, and even as a nightgown at home after. 
  • Options
    MRSCORKER said:
    I've never had my vag checked after delivery. They just take a peek at your pad to check your bleeding and feel your uterus. I can't speak for having a c section though, they may check the stitching there. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    ignoscemihiignoscemihi member
    edited July 2016
    I just wore the hospital gown with the hospital underwear the whole time I was there with my first.  I wore a loose dress home.  Of course, we didn't have any visitors (both of our families live 200 miles away), so I didn't have to get dressed.  This time, I'll probably wear the robe I bought for the last time.  It's cheap, big, and offers easy access for breastfeeding while providing slightly more coverage than the hospital gown.  Unless I find something really cute.  :smile:

ETA: I really did not want anything on my bottom half.  But maybe I'm weird.
  • Options
    von1976 said:
    MRSCORKER said:
    If you have any stitching, they will want to check the site. Not often, but probably at least once a shift (every 12 hours). Likewise, if you have a cesarean, they'll also want to check that site. They'll probably rely on your report of how many pads you are soaking and how much bleeding you're having, so they won't need to check that.

:::STUCK IN DA BOX:::

Just wanted to say, they never checked my stitches (vag tear, not c-section, so not sure how they do with those)
    But seriously, even if you don't tear, pants still suck. I'd go with some softies if you insist though, and NOT stretch kind that can creep up on the forbidden zone. Keep is loosey goosey.
  • Options
    I found one at Motherhood that I liked.  It fit like a normal nighty, except around the chest area, it was stretchy, so I can whip out a boob when it was ready to BF....I just haven't bought it yet.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @ignoscemihi I don't like pants to begin with let alone after a human has emerged from below my waist somewhere 
  • Options
    When I was alone I just wore the hospital gown or pj's that buttoned up for easy access for nursing. When I had visitors I wore yoga pants and a nursing tank or shirt. It just depended on what i felt like at the time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @samkins which site did you order from on etsy?

this is my second child. My daughter was born in December so I had a beautiful red robe on after delivery the only thing I wish I had done looking back at photos is have her in something similar and much softer than the scratchy hospital receiving blankets. 
  • Options
    I had a catheter immediately after birth thanks to a tear that required stitching in a very sensitive area (doctor told me they did the cath so I wouldn't get stitched closed - omg). Thanks to that bad boy I just chilled in a hospital gown and nothing more. Pro tip - wear some sort of bra after birth, even a soft one. My milk came in and the girls were not to be contained. This time I'll have a comfy nursing bra of some kind on. Once I was back to "real" clothes I lived in pjs, sweat pants, and maxi skirts. And warm socks. Hospital floors are cold.

Props to you guys coordinating cute clothes! I'll have some cute stuff for LO, but I'm just going for comfort and survivability lol.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I bought a really comfy Jockey robe off Amazon that's so soft!  I'm probably going to be wearing that a lot at the hospital, sans pants, maybe just boxer shorts and a tank/cami.  

To go home, I think just a dress!
  • Options
    F47F47 member
    Whether or not the nurses are doing vag checks is irrelevant because you'll have bottoms on regardless to hold your pad/contain the bleeding. If I wasn't wearing loose yoga pants, I was just wearing the hospital mesh undies (that I weirdly loved) with my tank and some blankets on. 

My my visitors were only family, and we're all really close. So it wasn't a huge deal. The only time I felt uncomfortable was when my FIL visited and I was needing to nurse. But, I just had hubby ask him to step out. 
  • Options
    F47F47 member
    Whether or not the nurses are doing vag checks is irrelevant because you'll have bottoms on regardless to hold your pad/contain the bleeding. If I wasn't wearing loose yoga pants, I was just wearing the hospital mesh undies (that I weirdly loved) with my tank and some blankets on. 

My my visitors were only family, and we're all really close. So it wasn't a huge deal. The only time I felt uncomfortable was when my FIL visited and I was needing to nurse. But, I just had hubby ask him to step out. 
  • Options
    MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited July 2016
    Good point @F47. I'm gonna go to target in a few weeks and get loose fitting comfy/draw string pants, nursing tanks and a soft robe. We have decided to have the majority of our visitors at the hospital instead of at home so that we can settle in and not have to host guests. I'll want to look mildly decent. Once I get home, all bets are off!

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    I stayed in the hospital gown and mesh undies while I was in recovery. But after, I lived in leggings and nursing tanks. I'm stocking up -- target has excellent nursing tanks, too!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Options
    Yes, black (maternity) leggings are another great option (esp for October) @nsquaredlife13
  • Options
    Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm always burning up after delivery! Everyone always comments on how cold is in my room but I'm always hot. I really don't want to wear anything so that's a thought. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Last time I packed comfy maternity tees that were stretchy enough to pull down for nursing, black yoga pants, and a robe for covering my back while in the hospital gown. The pants were nice for keeping the undie/pad situation contained.

Packing the same this time, as well as a nursing nightgown in case I'm burning up (I was super warm last time).
  • Options
    @MRSCORKER I was checked a few times after delivery because I had stitches and I was so sore that the nurses graciously helped me with putting Witch Hazel, maxi pad and the mesh panties on. I would stay in a gown the first day and then yoga maternity pants thereafter. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Also, I took as many ice packs, mesh panties and pads of Witch Hazel as they would let me. Like, a lot lol Those pad-shaped ice packs saved my vagina. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Also, maybe it's just me, but I'm always burning up after delivery! Everyone always comments on how cold is in my room but I'm always hot. I really don't want to wear anything so that's a thought. 
    Totally normal. I didn't have it as bad as some but the postpartum bed soaking sweats is totally a thing. It's from ALL THE HORMONES going insane all at once. 
  • Options
    I'm not getting anything special except my own pads, the biggest always brand ultra thin they make. I hated the bulky hospital ones!

• Options
    MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited July 2016
    I'm not getting anything special except my own pads, the biggest always brand ultra thin they make. I hated the bulky hospital ones!
    Did you make pad-cicles?

Anyone have a good "recipe" for them?

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Options
    UponAStar16UponAStar16 member
    edited July 2016
    I'll probably stay in the hospital gown until I figure out if I'm going to get those sweats, but I'm bringing a robe and nursing-strap nightgown, and I guess an outfit to wear home (I've been thinking so much about the baby's take-home outfit and my pjs that I realized I forgot about my own take-home outfit!). I did get advice that, if you're using lanolin, it can stain clothes so just to know for the nursing tanks

edited bc extra words
  • Options
    kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited July 2016
    MRSCORKER said:
    Did you make pad-cicles?

Anyone have a good "recipe" for them?
    I did and they were wonderful! I used Always overnight pads (just make sure they have wings and are extra long), then poured a capful of witch hazel on each, rubbed some aloe all over it, and finished with a few drops of lavender oil. I did some in the freezer, but preferred them not quite so cold (the aloe freezes and gets crunchy).

edit to say: now that I'm thinking about it, I can't remember if I did the aloe or witch hazel first, but it may not make a big difference.
  • Options
    @kmvisioli the thin ones or the diaper style? 
  • Options
    I did tucks with aloe covering with DS. Still preferred the icy ones that self activate (the hospital gives them out- take bunches home if you can). That and dermoplast was amazing.