June 2016 Moms
Options

Wonder Weeks

Anybody else's little one currently going through their first wonder week? When does it start to get better? I feel like I'm being run into the dirt.  He's extremly fussy and crying alot more then usual.  He's also started fighting going to sleep which just makes him even more fussy from being over tired.  He only slept for ten minutes naps all day yesterday and the day before.  When he isn't sleeping he's crying.  I've tried EVERYTHING to sooth him but nothing seems to be working.  Please tell me there is a light at the end of this tunnel soon.  

Re: Wonder Weeks

• Options
    Laur51615 said:
    Anybody else's little one currently going through their first wonder week? When does it start to get better? I feel like I'm being run into the dirt.  He's extremly fussy and crying alot more then usual.  He's also started fighting going to sleep which just makes him even more fussy from being over tired.  He only slept for ten minutes naps all day yesterday and the day before.  When he isn't sleeping he's crying.  I've tried EVERYTHING to sooth him but nothing seems to be working.  Please tell me there is a light at the end of this tunnel soon.  

Yup, so there. I don't know much about this wonder week thingie (just got the app yesterday) but I'm experincing the same type of thing. The plus side is that since we have him on a regime for his reflux, gas, and dairy issues, he isntl in pain/discomfort anymore. He still cries and screams a hell of a lot and refuses to nap though. Of course I say that when he finally actually went down for a nap an hour ago...I can't take credit tho...he did it himself...I was just a bystander. "Oh hey...you're asleep. YOU'RE ASLEEP!? VICTORY!!!" Nonetheless, it's a constant battle and nothing I do will get him to sleep and any soothing techniques for his crying are just temporary (bath will buy me 15min.), most don't work at all. 

I've been at this for about 3 weeks now so I have moments where I feel unusually calm in the storm and others where I'm a hot mess in tears. Yesterday was the roughest it has been. It bled into the evening with more intensity than before and resulted in a late night drive around the city just to get him to sleep. 
  • Options
    The first day my little one who NEVER cries unless he's hungry or dirty SCREAMED for 10 hours overall.  The second day we made it down to 3.5 hours of crying, the third day he cried for maybe an hour total and day 4 he was back to normal.  Now we're entering our second leap and it's bad, but not nearly as bad as the first leap.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love this app, if only because it gives me a frame of reference for the fussing. Or at least comforts me enough for me to think its not just that I'm a bad mom. We are on Leap 2 now.
  • Options
    We're in the 2nd leap right now according to the app. Sunday was the worst day, he was refusing to eat, got overtired, and then had a meltdown. The last couple of days have been better, just unpredictable in terms of eating and sleeping. 

I I like having the app, but I wish it had a little more detail about the development. I guess they keep it brief so that people will buy the book. Does anyone have the book, and if so, does it give a lot more useful info than the app?
  • Options
      I stumbled across the wonder weeks because my baby, who also rarely cries, started being fussy for no reason and fighting sleep/avoiding naps.  I love it and it explains her behavior perfectly.  It helped her to do what the app suggests and pretty much park myself on the sofa with Netflix for extra cuddles and give her plenty of attention.  Her daytime sleep has worsened a little, but her nighttime sleep has improved!  We're at the tail end and things are getting better plus it's so fun to see the cognitive changes :).
  • Options
    Just finished leap 1 this week. It didn't really hit him until the last 4 days but boy were those days hell. On the 5th day he was 100% back to my normal chill baby who naps during the day and only cries when he's hungry or has a dirty diaper. It is insane how night and day it was and how on point the WW app really is. Plus it's amazing to see how they change over the leap! He's so much more observant now. It's crazy. 
  • Options
    Just learning about this. Are you supposed to use due date and not birth date?
  • Options
    Just learning about this. Are you supposed to use due date and not birth date?

Box:. Yes, it goes by gestational age.
  • Options
    Laur51615Laur51615 member
    edited July 2016
    Thanks for all the replies ladies!  I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.  It's just last week with his formula change took four days for him to adjust and the this week with the wonder week he has pretty much cried nonstop for almost two weeks.  Yesterday was a much better day and he was a much happier baby!  Still didn't want to nap much and when he did it was only on me but here's to hoping he will nap in his swing or rock n sleep today so I can get in a shower (it's been like 3 days).  Also I noticed that when he is crying it's real tears now and he loves listening to music all of a sudden!
  • Options
    Anyone's baby sleep differently after the first leap?  My little girl used to go to sleep so easily when she was tired and nap like a champ and lately she fights sleep and only stays down for an hour max during the day.  It's driving me insane!  Any tips?  I swaddle, rock, pacify, white noise, etc.  She isn't cranky, just wide awake!
  • Options
    KaylaR628 said:
    Anyone's baby sleep differently after the first leap?  My little girl used to go to sleep so easily when she was tired and nap like a champ and lately she fights sleep and only stays down for an hour max during the day.  It's driving me insane!  Any tips?  I swaddle, rock, pacify, white noise, etc.  She isn't cranky, just wide awake!
     If she's not cranky I wouldn't worry.  I think they become more aware after that first leap.  My lo slept less after that first leap and now we are in leap 2 and he's sleeping more often.  Not longer, just more often lol
  • Options
    @KaylaR628 same here. DH and I were just saying this is why our apt is filled with her stuff, she moves from one amusement ride to another lol. We've actually been on the go the past few days and car rides or stroller rides still put her to sleep. The swing puts her out too. I'm not trying to put her to sleep but sometimes the swing is the only thing that stops the fussing.
  • Options
    I didn't know about wonder weeks until this thread. Thank god for this thread!!!!!

LO is going through his first leap now and it has been hell the past two days. According to the app, he should be out of the storm soon. Having this app as a frame of reference is definitely helpful. His second leap is when we are going on a family vacation to the beach, so that should be interesting. Praying that like OPs, the second leap won't be as bad as this one. 
  • Options
    I'll be glad when Leap 2 is over. LO's sleep and feeding has been so erratic. I can't wait for him to start finding a rhythm!!
  • Options
    I'll be glad when Leap 2 is over. LO's sleep and feeding has been so erratic. I can't wait for him to start finding a rhythm!!
     We are in leap two and I thought with the leaps they'd be more fussy. Could the only signs be change in sleeping and eating habits?
  • Options
     We are in leap two and I thought with the leaps they'd be more fussy. Could the only signs be change in sleeping and eating habits?
    You're lucky if those are the only signs but I would have to go with the age old "every baby is different" ! Mine was definitely a drastic change in fussiness, on top of the change in sleep habits. 
  • Options
    My baby wasn't too fussy but definitely change in sleep!  She's still not sleeping more than 45 minutes during the day except if we're in the car, but she's been pretty good at night.  
  • Options
    My LO hasn't been too fussy, despite the storm cloud next to his name right now. But he refuses to nap. He's napping for maybe 20 minutes at a time. He sleeps pretty good at night, but I worry a little because he barely sleeps during the day.  I'm looking forward to our trip to the pediatrician tomorrow to see if she has any advice. 
  • Options
    Anyone notice their baby is more on track for their actual age vs gestational?  DS was a week late but I noticed that on the week it said it was gonna be stormy he was an angel and the next week he started to get bad and this week is horrible.  Basically his chart is a week off.
  • Options
    Anyone notice their baby is more on track for their actual age vs gestational?  DS was a week late but I noticed that on the week it said it was gonna be stormy he was an angel and the next week he started to get bad and this week is horrible.  Basically his chart is a week off.
    I feel like we're almost a week ahead. She started having issues at her first night feeding the last few nights. Squirming, pulling off and crying while trying to eat, as well as eating every 2 hrs (vs 3-4) and being fussier during the day. Thinking back to our first OB appt, they had my due date as a few days earlier but kept the one based on my last period. She also seems to be showing some signs of the leap this week. She's 5, almost 6 weeks.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I thought the same thing. Mine was born almost two weeks early but the descriptions of actual age fit her better than gestational age. I also think it interesting to use estimated due date since it can be off by up to two weeks.
  • Options
    My son just entered Leap 2 and has become the most easily distracted eater ever. I've had to nurse in the dark for the past 2 days justto get him to nurse efficiently. If I don't, he will take twice as long to eat and get distracted by shadows on the wall and ceiling. It's kinda cute and at least he is eating but sheeesh. Focus!  :p
  • Options
    Is it just me or when we look at the weeks chart... Doesn't seem like there are more band weeks than good? Doesn't make me feel better.
  • Options
    Is it just me or when we look at the weeks chart... Doesn't seem like there are more band weeks than good? Doesn't make me feel better.
    I know! I thought the same thing, "Oh look, storm clouds but at least it's followed by...more storm clouds...faaaantastic."
  • Options
    My son just entered Leap 2 and has become the most easily distracted eater ever. I've had to nurse in the dark for the past 2 days justto get him to nurse efficiently. If I don't, he will take twice as long to eat and get distracted by shadows on the wall and ceiling. It's kinda cute and at least he is eating but sheeesh. Focus!  

Stuck: I think my daughter gets bored and needs distraction. She had been pulling off and crying when she's then not eating, but I started talking to her and making eye contact (instead of killing time on my phone) and she settled down and focused.
  • Options
    I just looked at the Wonder Weeks chart and the ENTIRE month of October is a storm cloud! How can it possibly be an entire month?!?! I think I need to put my phone away during MOTN feedings...
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I just looked at the Wonder Weeks chart and the ENTIRE month of October is a storm cloud! How can it possibly be an entire month?!?! I think I need to put my phone away during MOTN feedings...
     I think the storm clouds is only a couple of days and the blue bar is just when they are more fussy.  
  • Options
     I think the storm clouds is only a couple of days and the blue bar is just when they are more fussy.  
    Yea, based on the legend, our babies will likely be fussier wherever there is a blue bar. The storm cloud is only for that particular week.
  • Options
    Oh thank god! Currently on growth spurt #2 so the thought of a whole month of this is more than I can take!  :D
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Has anyone had any experience with struggling to get your LO to take a bottle while going through a wonder week? My LO is 7 1/2 weeks today, and I'm thinking he started going through his leap a little early based on the information in the app, but for the past few days, he isn't taking a bottle like he normally does. He's a breastfed baby, but we have been giving him a bottle a day of expressed milk to get him used to it starting around week 5, and he was doing great...drinking 3-3.5 oz every bottle feeding. Now, he might drink an ounce before screaming his head off and refusing the rest of the bottle. He usually goes 2 or so hours between every feeding, too, and it seems like around midday he has started going longer...around 3-3.5 hours. I guess all these changes with his feeding is throwing me off...
  • Options
    soulou17 said:
    Has anyone had any experience with struggling to get your LO to take a bottle while going through a wonder week? My LO is 7 1/2 weeks today, and I'm thinking he started going through his leap a little early based on the information in the app, but for the past few days, he isn't taking a bottle like he normally does. He's a breastfed baby, but we have been giving him a bottle a day of expressed milk to get him used to it starting around week 5, and he was doing great...drinking 3-3.5 oz every bottle feeding. Now, he might drink an ounce before screaming his head off and refusing the rest of the bottle. He usually goes 2 or so hours between every feeding, too, and it seems like around midday he has started going longer...around 3-3.5 hours. I guess all these changes with his feeding is throwing me off...
    I don't have the app so I'm not sure why my LO all the sudden started refusing the bottle. But it started at like 9.5 weeks and is still going. She never liked the bottle but always took it after a min of fussing now she screams, cries real tears and flat out refuses we've been failing for a week. Me and my mom had a special spa day/ lunch planned for Friday looks like I'm gonna have to cancel. And I'm supposed to go back to work in 3 weeks I hope she doesn't keep this up. 
  • Options
    Leap 3 is a you-know-what. Fighting naps, fighting bedtime, sleeping so badly. I can't wait for this one to be over  :s
  • Options
    MistKeeperMistKeeper member
    edited August 2016
    Leap 2: He will not leave my nipples. Clawing, screaming, and thrashing ensue when I attempt to unlatch him. I never knew babies did this. I'm so exhausted, but I will say that he is definitely starting to notice a lot more. Hopefully this thunderstorm is short lived. 
  • Options
    Leap 1 wasn't bad, at least no worse than normal, but Leap 2 is a bitch! Normally we get at least 10 minute stretches of happy baby, but the last few days she's been cranky all day.
  • Options
    Leap 1 was not nearly as bad as leap 2.  At the time I thought it was but then he hit his 2nd leap and shit hit the fan.  Honestly it was the hardest week and a half since he has been born!
  • Options
    meggyme said:
    Leap 1 wasn't bad, at least no worse than normal, but Leap 2 is a bitch! Normally we get at least 10 minute stretches of happy baby, but the last few days she's been cranky all day.
    Ugh yes!!!  Ethan has been so fussy it's driving me nuts!  He cries even when I hold him.  I hope whatever this is goes by quickly...
  • Options
    Is it possible for a leap to start early? Sam still has 2 days until leap 3 is supposed to start, so he still has a sun next to his name. But he has been fussier than usual yesterday and today. 
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    Is it possible for a leap to start early? Sam still has 2 days until leap 3 is supposed to start, so he still has a sun next to his name. But he has been fussier than usual yesterday and today. 
     Yeah my app says it can go a week in either direction.  Meaning I'm pretty sure Preston started his already cause he's been a fussy eater and sleeper this week and he is due to start leap 3 today.
  • Options
    So if it starts early...will it still last the same amount of time?