April 2016 Moms
Options

Books?

I've been trying to spend time every day reading to LO, but so far he doesn't seem to care much. I've gotten a variety from the infant books with textures, to Dr. Seuss, to the musical ones with buttons. He usually wants to know what the dogs are doing instead, or staring at the pattern on my shirt. 

I fully intend to keep at it, since I've always been a reader and would love to share that with him later in life, but at what age do they really begin to focus?

Re: Books?

• Options
    I noticed DS1 really started liking them around 6 months. 
    BFP #1 - 12/30/12 - EDD 9/13/13 - CP

BFP #2 - 2/13/13 - EDD 10/24/13 - born 10/29/13 - Kian Edward

BFP #3 - 7/16/15 - EDD 3/27/16 - born 3/23/16 - Liam James

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think every baby is different. DD1 started liking books around 9 months or so and still loves them. DD2 just turned 3 and I still can't get her to sit still long enough to get through a book. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just read anything I'm reading out loud and then baby books at quiet time. He tends to like it when we use weird voices.
  • Options
    ejledejled member
    P isn't much interested either. I mainly read because it makes me feel good for trying. Maybe she will pay better attention when she can at least reach and touch the book pages. 
  • Options
    Ive been "reading" baby books to LO,  not really story books but textures and bright pictures. I bought a bunch of books from Usbourne and really like them. LO likes to look at the pictures and lately has been grabbing the pages and trying to put the books in his mouth. He likes books with noises too.
  • Options
    With DD1 the first books she could really enjoy were some of the Indestructibles ones (they are made of a super tough paper-like material, so they feel like pages, but can be chewed on, washed, and cannot be ripped). Her first instincts were to bite, rip, tear, and shred, and Indestructibles were the only books to survive the abuse. I give them as baby shower gifts now.

I think by 9ish months she could sit through most of some Dr. Seuss books. She really liked Hop on Pop and I Can Read With My Eyes Shut. 
    kids with flags
  • Options
    ladylolly89ladylolly89 member
    edited July 2016
    DS (15 weeks) really only enjoys black and white books, books with lots of faces, or Dr. Seuss. His favorite book so far is "Dr Seuss' ABCs"; he grins and giggles and can usually pay attention throughout the entire story. I think it's mostly just the flow of the words/repetitive sounds combined with the brightly colored pictures, because no other book gets quite that reaction! 
  • Options
    Sandra Boynton are Lola's favourite right now. She loves them! We read one right after bathtime. She loves looking at the pictures and the stories are short so she doesn't lose interest.
  • Options
    DS (15 weeks) really only enjoys black and white books, books with lots of faces, or Dr. Seuss. His favorite book so far is "Dr Seuss' ABCs"; he grins and giggles and can usually pay attention throughout the entire story. I think it's mostly just the flow of the words/repetitive sounds combined with the brightly colored pictures, because no other book gets quite that reaction! 
    Jackson's favorite book is a black and white one with pictures of babies in it.
  • Options
    @Knottie9983816 Awww, that's so cute that he likes looking at other babies!
  • Options
    Jackson's favorite book is a black and white one with pictures of babies in it.
    That would be perfect! 
  • Options
    I am by no means an expert, but my understanding is that there's more to helping babies develop literacy skills than just reading to them.  Our "reading time" involves relatively little actual reading. Mostly, it's letting her interact with the book (touching it, kicking it, grabbing the pages) and describing what's in the pictures to help her build vocabulary and narrative skills ("Look, it's a bird! The bird is yellow. He is smiling and wearing a sweater. He is with his friend the squirrel"... that kind of thing).  When we actually read-read, it's usually books with lots of repetition and rhyming and rythym, but we also reinforce that outside of reading time with various fingerplays and rhymes (think pat-a-cake and itsy bitsy spider), which should help with her phonological awareness. Every now and again I sneak in a book that I love, but I figure that's more for my benefit than hers. We'll get there!
  • Options
    Mine loves when I read any book with pictures to him. He really likes looking at the pictures and looks intently at them. One of the ones he likes is Hello World Solar System.