September 2015 Moms
Options

Hand, Foot and Mouth

ItsmeR30ItsmeR30 member
edited July 2016 in September 2015 Moms
So I think my kids have this and it's NOT FUN. I had honestly never heard of this until recently, but I need some guidance. 

Are there "levels" of this virus? My 2nd child got sick and was better w/in a day but got a sore on her upper lip, and one on her inner thigh, like towards the back. So I don't know if those were just fever blisters or what. Then my oldest and 10mo got sick. My oldest complained of a sore throat really bad and she had a fever all day. Then Saturday evening I noticed little bumps over her arms and hands and then Sunday they were on her feet and tips of her toes. The bumps on her arm almost looked like how a razor burn would look. And there are a few little dots on her hands. My baby has clusters of red bumps on the lower part of his palm and one sore on his chin. Seriously like wtf?? 

After reading, I've learned you just let it run its course. We got some Aveeno cream to help my oldest with the itch on her feet. But what do I do after the fact? Do I have to disinfect everything in my house? I normally clean/wash everything after they are sick anyway, but do I need to go to extremes this time? Do I need to keep them home until all those bumps are gone? Ugh I don't even know for sure if it is that virus - that's just from my reading. Any advice would be great!

Re: Hand, Foot and Mouth

• Options
    We had this about a month ago. Each kid seems to get it differently. You just have to let it run its course. Some recommend keeping them home til the fever breaks. Others say home til the sores dry out completely. We had only one blister on his palm and a flesh colored rash on his legs. That's it. We were spared the really bad stuff, I think because we are still BF and I think I got the virus too (no outward signs, just sick and run down) so he was getting my antibodies.  But other kids at the sitter got it REALLY bad. Like sores in the inside and outside of their mouths, all over their bodies. And I read they can also get it again. So that's fun. I'm in Indiana and its rampant here. I feel like everyone I know with kids has gotten it this year. It just takes one. So disinfect like crazy. I was told this is a new super strain of it so its living longer on stuff and kids that have had it before are getting again. Your Ped could take one look at them and tell you for sure but it def sounds like HF&M to me. I'm sorry, it def sucks:(
  • Options
    Ugh! Thanks for your response! 

I feel so bad for them! My son has a giant blister in between two of his fingers and I'm nervous about it popping. My oldest seem to be going away. Hers look weird, almost like the tips of her fingers (not all of them) are stained with paint. 

Yea there's so much different info online so it's confusing. I'm in Michigan and I read it's going around here pretty bad. I read that kids don't get it again after having it!!! Oh nooo. I hope they don't get it again  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Ironically, my now-husband got this a couple years back from kids at his school, and then he gave it to me! I would assume there are different levels to how sick you get. I'm sorry, but I have to say having Hand Foot and Mouth was one of the WORST I've ever felt. Like probably in the top 2 or 3 sickest I've been. I'm not sure if kids can get it more than once, but I will warn you that this virus hangs around a while. My husband was symptom-free for a week and still gave it to me (I was visiting from out-of-state so I definitely wasn't exposed to it earlier). That was the first time I got "I'm sorry" flowers hahaha!

ETA: I hope all your kids feel better soon!
  • Options
    ItsmeR30ItsmeR30 member
    edited July 2016
    @rachelkawesome did you guys get the blisters as well? 

im definitely ready for it to be gone! Thankfully they're not sick anymore (only lasted 2 days tops) but these blisters! Wtf??  Im getting so anxious to disinfect my house but I want to wait until at least their skin is cleared up. And now I'm so worried they could get it again! 

Ah, having children.. At least it's not stressful! 

Ps- "I'm sorry" flowers are always nice ;) 
  • Options
    My son got it when he was around 9 months old and it was awful. He had a very bad case. Only one other kid from his daycare got it and hers was very mild. My sons lasted over a week. His toenails ended up peeling off because of it! It was crazy! He is now 3.5 yrs old and the nurse at his pediatricians office still brings up how bad it was. Hopefully the worst is over for you. 
  • Options
    @blondehairblueeyeditalianbaby omg that's horrible! Poor baby:(. Did he ever get it again? 
  • Options
    We did not get the blisters, except in our throats. Apparently if an adult gets it, they rarely get the external blisters. Which might have been why he gave it to me - he thought it was done once he didn't feel sick, but he may still have had blistering in the throat. Your poor kids!
  • Options
    @ItsmeR30 He is 3.5 now and has never had it again. I know he has been exposed at daycare after that. I hope we never have it again because it was the worst. He was in so much pain he couldn't sleep for days and wouldn't hardly eat anything. 
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this yucky illness! 

Question for all.

So my niece first presented symptoms Sunday, was afterwards diagnosed with HFMD and my brother/SIL still plan to bring her (and themselves) to our family party Sunday. That's only 7 seven days between symptoms first presenting and exposure to us. 

Would you you bring your baby knowing this?

• Options
    Hell no. The incubation period varies. And even without symptoms they could be carriers. I wouldn't risk it. That is hella selfish of them. The cdc says a person is most contagious for the first week but can be for WEEKS even after the symptoms go away. Adults can have no symptoms but yet still spread the virus to others. They need to stay home. Period. 
  • Options
    Omg I totally agree with @dmbfan46835. My kids have a MILD case of it and I wouldn't wish this upon anyone

Guaranteed, she'll have the blisters on Sunday and they could possibly burst and I read that the liquid causes spreading. It started with my kids last week Thursday and my son still has blisters. I'm constantly washing his hands and have socks on his feet even tho it's a 1000 degrees outside! It's no joke. 
  • Options
    wouldn't even go to that party, let alone my baby! Haha!
  • Options
    I wouldn't go to the party AT ALL!! My LO got it this spring and it was so terrible. Pretty sure he got it from our cousins LO who had had it when he was younger. It was in his room at daycare and even though he didn't have it he was still a carrier. It is very very contagious and our Dr said they can get it more than once because there are different strains of it. I sanitized EVERYTHING he touched and threw away all the pacis he used because the Dr said not to risk it. 
  • Options
    Definitely clean everything. It can linger. My niece got it and is was bad. My sister got it from her, and had rashes on her palms that felt like constant burning. She had to miss a week of work because of it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice. Thankfully they're over it and I did completely sanitize everything from top to bottom. I really hope they don't get it again.  In 5yrs that I've had children, I had never even heard of this :/