January 2016 Moms
Options

Super paranoid dad

jblake320jblake320 member
edited July 2016 in January 2016 Moms
My SO is so paranoid. Our LO bumped her head on her crib and now he doesn't want her to be in it anymore. Anybody else dealing with this? I don't know how to explain to him that she's a baby and these things happen. She loves her crib and sleeps terribly in the pack and play. Please tell me I'm not alone in this!!

Re: Super paranoid dad

• Options
    My LO conks his head on the crib at least 5 times a night! Most of the time he sleeps straight through it! Tell your DH to get over it because you kiddo is going to have a lot worse injuries than a bonked head in there life. Is the kid not going to be able to walk outside because they fell and scraped their knee? Try giving some outrageous examples of things that kids "shouldn't do because they're dangerous". Maybe he will realize how ridiculous he's being. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thank you!! I've tried to reason with him with no luck. Last night I put her in the crib anyways. You don't wake a sleeping baby 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It only gets worse the older they get! Babies are very resilient:)
  • Options
    l4rkl4rk member
    That almost sounds too ridiculous to be about the crib. ...Are you sure it's about the crib?
  • Options
    I bonked my babes head on the door frame walking into his nursery one time. Probably going to keep carrying him ;) but yes, he's completely over reacting. As mentioned by PPs there's going to be lots of bumps, scraped and bruises to come. Maybe even some broken bones. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't devalue his feelings or call him ridiculous. When women have post partum anxiety they are encouraged to seek professional help. Maybe this is part of a bigger problem and he should see his doctor for a mental health evaluation.
  • Options
    He's just so paranoid, it's for sure about the crib. I'm trying to not make him feel like he's crazy but that's kinda crazy...
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    Maybe a conversation with the pediatrician that things like that are totally normal and not harmful will help calm him down?
  • Options
    We just did her six month appointment and he's still convinced. Hopefully it's just a phase he's going thru because she's finding out that she's mobile and bumping herself everywhere. 
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    Good luck!  Mine is working on learning how to sit up and falls over and bumps his head several times a week.  Can't exactly not use the floor :)
  • Options
    KFrobKFrob member
    I've had this debate with my husband over crib bumpers several times. The way I see it if she bumps her head and doesn't react she's fine. All the articles by Drs I've read about not using crib bedding say that baby doesn't have the strength to hit his/her head hard enough on crib slats to cause injury. 

Also I'm with everyone else, at this stage LO is rolling all over and trying to crawl. She is constantly bumping her head on the floor as she flips and then nose dives forward as she tries to crawl. It doesn't seem to bug her at all! 
  • Options
    My LO is a master crawler now but he works 70 hours a week so he didn't really see how many bumps and falls we had in the process. I tried to explain it but I guess I'll just try to understand where he's coming from in the mean time. Also, she's a pro at faking hurt to get you to pick her up and he is a sucker for her everytime
  • Options
    My DH is pretty paranoid about any bumps to LO. I'm worried about how he's going to react once she starts crawling and really gets some bumps and bruises! I just keep reassuring him that it's normal and won't hurt LO and it seems to help for now. 
  • Options
    I just can't wait to be able to say in a year "see how you worried about nothing" yes, bumps bruises cuts will happen but sometimes she head butts me and I wanna cry and she smiles. Kids are resilient 
  • Options
    Ugh my Boyfriend is the same way. My mom had her for two days while she was on vacation and she just started learning how to hold onto things(with someone standing with there hands out ready to grab her) but she was holding on to an adirondack chair and the leg moved, nothing anyone could have prevented at all. And she scraped her leg. But since she's so fair skinned it started to bruise. My mom called me and I called him. Oh. My. God. World war 3 insued! I told him it was a freak accident and there's nothing he could've done. I think once they start getting hurt in daddies care then maybe the daddies will start to realize how easy it is for them to get booboos and maybe start freaking out a little less ool