January 2017 Moms

Acid reflux

I had acid reflux with DD, but Zantac helped immensely and it was totally manageable. This time around, it's not helping whatsoever, and when I contacted my OBs office, they suggested Tums (doesn't work at all), Rolaids (almost as worthless as Tums) and Maalox (which I haven't been able to find anywhere).

I have also tried shots of apple cider vinegar mixed with water, and they provide a bit of relief, but not for very long (less than an hour).

I would love other suggestions or to hear what's working for you.

TIA!
BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Acid reflux

• cjs260cjs260 member
    My OB told me that Tums will quit working at some point and to call into the office to let them know so they could write a script for some medicine (that she of course didn't name). If nothing is touching it, I would definitely call my nurses line because heartburn/acid reflux sucks. Like really, really sucks. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• emy730emy730 member
    @cjs260 Yeah, Tums is super worthless to me. It didn't even help in the beginning. I think a script is where I'm headed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    @emy730 I'm currently okay with Tums ::knocks on wood:: as long as I haven't eaten anything too spicy. Which is torture, because spicy food is my number one craving. I'm sorry you're having it so bad so early :( 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• emy730emy730 member
    Oh my goodness, I totally feel you on the spicy food cravings. It's all I want and I just can't do it because I feel like I'm dying afterward.

I hope Tums keeps working for you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have acid reflux even without pregnancy and I feel like it's just gotten worse :/ There are certain foods you can try to avoid that tend to make it worse, like spicy stuff, fried foods, even dark chocolate. I think my main issue lately has been that my meals are too big so I'm still getting the food-flavored acid up the throat hours after I've eaten. So maybe smaller meals helps too. Also milk can make it feel better. I've been trying to elevate my head a bit at night but I'm not sure how much that's actually helping at this point, seeing as it happens even when I'm sitting up. 

Jan '17 August siggy challenge: Cat fails

• I thought I had weeks before this symptom started. It probably doesn't help that I'm craving spicy foods (we live in western NY - land of Buffalo sauce) and sour foods (pickles, sour patch kids, pepperoncini, Italian dressing). I've already talked to the doctor twice about it. I cut down on my cravings and I try to lay down with a few pillows propping me up. Plus I sleep with a snoogle at night so it elevates my head. I'm pretty sure by my next appointment, I'll be asking for a prescription though. I believe he said they write it for Prilosec, at a higher dosage. 
  • Wait, we can take prilosec? For some reason I automatically assumed I couldn't take it any more so I stopped, but that stuff can be a lifesaver.

• I believe that's the medication my doctor said he would prescribe for me. Or maybe it was Prevacid. Definitely a stronger prescription with a P. 
  • Feel you all on the acid reflux/heartburn..... Also gas. I am just burp central over here. But I am
    not giving up ketchup or tacos or pizza so I will just chug along. What sucks is that I get filled up quicker because of the combo acid reflux/gas thing but in reality I want to keep eating!!!! I haven't had an OB appointment since I was 12 weeks but I will bring it up at the next one. 
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• Feel you all on the acid reflux/heartburn..... Also gas. I am just burp central over here. But I am
    not giving up ketchup or tacos or pizza so I will just chug along. What sucks is that I get filled up quicker because of the combo acid reflux/gas thing but in reality I want to keep eating!!!! I haven't had an OB appointment since I was 12 weeks but I will bring it up at the next one. 
    This is my life.  The gas and bloating is unrelenting.  I had bad acid reflux about 2 weeks ago, and oddly enough, that isn't as strong right now.  But the gas.  Holy.  That has persisted and only seems to be getting worse.  I feel for ya!
  • NOT Prilosec!!! That's class C. I have horrible heartburn when I'm not pregnant (water gives it to me) and my ob said because I was already maxed out on Zantac (300mg per day) and it wasn't helping to switch to Prevacid once a day. It's class B. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married 9/18/10
    TTC 1/1/12
    BFP #1 12/13/12 MMC Confirmed 1/30/13
    BFP #2 6/17/13, (Clomid+Ovidrel) CP Confirmed 6/26/13
    BFP #3 8/14/2013 (Letrozole+IUI) Charlie Grace born 5/2/2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Laparoscopic surgery 8/15 to remove misplaced IUD

BFP #4, #5, #6  (Letrozole+IUI)all MMC, BFP #7 EDD 1/3/2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• emy730emy730 member
    @Heeb918 thanks for the info! I'll give Prevacid a try.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah I guess Prevacid was probably what @christac1010 meant, I may have to try that. Good thing I stopped taking the prilosec :)

• I'm taking Zantac, and it helps. Tums do nothing for me anymore. 
  • I found these at Walgreens they are instant and amazing!!!! 
  • emy730emy730 member
    Emma61210 said:
    I found these at Walgreens they are instant and amazing!!!! 
    Sadly these are just fancy Tums, but I am really glad they help you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • emy730emy730 member
    @Dinozaur Have you ever taken Papaya Enzyme or Extract to help with it? I have heard interesting things about it, but never tried it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @emy730 I haven't, but would be willing to try! I honestly haven't researched as much as I probably should, just went with what the doctor said/prescribed.

• aishmcaishmc member
    My heartburn has been crazy, but to be fair I've been giving into the cravings.

I have had GERD since I was 9 and know what to avoid, but I'm craving sour. Adjusting your diet is the best remedy. Avoid citrus, anything with tomato, anything spicy, certain meats, chocolate, coffee, mint etc. and it should help.

If no OTCs are touching your pain, get a script asap. 
  • Dinozaur said:
    @emy730 I haven't, but would be willing to try! I honestly haven't researched as much as I probably should, just went with what the doctor said/prescribed.
    I had an aunt that recommended the papaya tablets last pregnancy. I wasn't comfortable using it until I asked my doctor about it since it wasn't on my list of approved medicine. I kept forgetting to ask when I went though. Lol. 
  • I know you've gotten some good advice  but I've just come to commiserate with you. 14.5 weeks and the heartburn is REAL. Zantac was my life saver each pregnancy, and I hope to god it continues to work! I hope you find some relief soon! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

DD: 10.9.13 [38+4] - EDD 10/19/13
    DS1: 3.18.15 [36+0] - EDD 04/15/15
    DS2: EDD: 1.19.17

• emy730emy730 member
    @aishmc you poor thing! I can't imagine living with this all the time. You have my deepest sympathies!

What meats do you recommend avoiding? I have been avoiding the other things on your list already, but at this point water is causing it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • aishmcaishmc member
    @emy730 anything like deli meat, salami, pepperoni, bacon, sausage etc. All the processed stuff.

It's easier said than done. If even water is doing it, you need some meds, but diet might help. Prevacid is OTC and I think it's on my approved list, but call your doctor before taking anything me or PPs suggest.

I hope you get some relief soon!
  • One more thing I forgot I tried the other night when no medicine was cutting it. I warmed up milk and stirred in a teaspoon of honey. It really helped. 
  • I don't post often, but I wanted to add something that surprisingly helped with my heartburn last pregnancy. I would eat a dill pickle and drink like a shot glass amount of the pickle juice. Not sure why that helped but it would get me through the afternoon. 
  • I didn't see this suggested by any pp. During my last pregnancy, when my acid reflux started getting bad I started wearing an amber necklace. It seemed to help, perhaps it was mental but if it didn't totally cut it, it lessened it. I purchased it from a reliable place here in town and was sure it was authentic. So far this pregnancy it's been hit and miss, more based on food instead of constant. I will probably try a necklace again to just not be taking tums daily. I also find that warm water instead of cold helps.

Pregnancy Ticker

• emy730emy730 member
    @Carly79 That's interesting! My DD has worn one since she was about 2 months old and I swear it's saved us
    so much teething trouble. I'd totally be willing to try it on myself!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was told to drink Aloe.  It is in the Ethnic food section in the grocery store.  Make sure to get the version that is a little sweet.  I went with almost pure aloe one time and it was terrible.  They recommend a cup and once a day.  Check with your doctor though.