February 2017 Moms

Umbilical cord cyst

So as if pgal anxiety weren't enough... I got a voicemail from my gp saying that my 8 week ultrasound looked great (which I had been so relieved about when I saw the heartbeat) but that there is a small cyst on the umbilical cord which will likely turn out to be nothing but that I need a follow up ultrasound in 10-14 days. Google sure doesn't say it's nothing!

Anyone have any experience with this?
This whole pregnancy thing is not for sissies.

Re: Umbilical cord cyst

• Crickets. How comforting!
  • I'm afraid I don't have any experience with this personally. But I have heard when it's found this early, there's a good chance it will resolve on its own. Fingers crossed, hoping your follow-up goes well!
  • Loading the player...
  • With DS the US tech saw a cyst on the cord, and sent me to the high risk ob, but by then it had either resolved itself or they just couldn't find it.  What the high risk Drs saw was that it was taking longer than typical for everything to move inside his body.  That coupled the initial tech's sighting of cyst meant DS was at a higher risk for genetic abnormalities so they did the MaterniT21 test.  Everything turned out to be fine.